• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

244 bilstein b6 & IPD lowering springs

tog244

my 244 is on virgo wheels with 25mm wheel spacers, Bilstein b6s front and rear, and ipd lowering springs all around (I also have cut bump stops from cutting springs previously but i dont think that would make a difference). in the rear im very pleased with my ride height, no rubbing and very low, in the front i have an inch or two of fender to wheel gap and im not sure why. my springs are not seated completely into the little spots where theyre supposed to sit in the front but it doesn't seem like it would make that much of a difference. I need to get them seated at some point but is there something else that im missing thats making my ride height so much higher in the front?

its been cold so i havent been able to work on it much but ill try to seat them better and see if that helps, it still seems super high in the front compared to the back though

How are the rear bushings? The large trailing arm bushing in the axle can cause the rear of the car to be lower than it should. I found the front height on the IPD springs to be fine and the car was level when I used them long ago.

i have everything seated nicely now and the front still has a comfortable 3 finger fender gap and in the rear i can hardly fit 2. the rear bushings are probably somewhat old but i like the low ride height. i have a feeling it also might have to do with the fact that the front is higher than the rear on a stock 240 or even because of the strange teardrop kind of shape that the rear fenders are.

you might think of this as sinful but im vaguely considering cutting a tiny bit off of the front springs, we'll see if the front settles a little bit over time though.

That sounds about where my car was with the IPD springs. Some people have cut the springs to go even lower. Although with the roads around here that's pretty dangerous to the health of the front crossmember in my opinion.

On thing to remember with a 240, the front and rear wheel arches are at drastically different heights.
Maybe this is throwing you off?

i might look around and see if anyone has done it. i think youre right culberro thats likely the reason

If you look at the lower sill/pinch seam on the car, the front should be slightly lower than the rear with stock IPD lowering springs.

Back