• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Exhaust S tailpipe

Harlard

Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?
300+ Club
Working on a solution to reduce the remaining drone that my exhaust produces. I came to wonder whether the stock S tailpipe bend has something to do with this.

So, what is your take? What do you think the function was for this thing? There was additional cost so it must have had a point, right?

My car came with an L bend which I like more aesthetically. I think it was a stock option as well.

If you have a S pipe on hand it should be pretty simple to swap them back and forth for testing. They are $15-$20 from IPD.

I don't think it'll make much difference, since there is no additional baffling or expansion of the gases (although slightly increased length may change some resonant frequency somewhere?)

I drove my 940 for a few months without the S pipe (installed a new rear muffler and the old S pipe was rusted beyond repair).
I had quite a bit of drone but didn'd think about it more and thought it might be the center muffler.

During annual inspection the tech advised me to install the pipe because it's technically not legal if the muffler doesn't end (about) flush with the bumper (for whatever reason) and he will not pass my car next time without it.

Anyway long story short,
as soon as I installed the pipe the drone was completely gone.

I can't figure out a why such a pipe reduces the drone so much but it definitely did in my case.

Working on a solution to reduce the remaining drone that my exhaust produces. I came to wonder whether the stock S tailpipe bend has something to do with this.

So, what is your take? What do you think the function was for this thing? There was additional cost so it must have had a point, right?

I would assume the the mufflers, cam type etc.. would have more to do with exhaust drone than the shape of the tailpipe ?

:-P

Technically, and I'm the furthest thing from an engineer, I've been told that every 90* bend you add into a pipe changes the sound. It's got something to do with the way soundwaves travel?

On a b230f 940 the s-pipe reduces* noise compared to a straight pipe after the last muffler. Both ended eaqually far after the rear bumper. * only measured by ear, no scientific stuff.

My car came with an L bend which I like more aesthetically. I think it was a stock option as well.

If you have a S pipe on hand it should be pretty simple to swap them back and forth for testing. They are $15-$20 from IPD.

I don't think it'll make much difference, since there is no additional baffling or expansion of the gases (although slightly increased length may change some resonant frequency somewhere?)

Can these L bends still be purchased? I think they look way better than the S bend pipe - and I want one for my car! I have 240 Turbo but cant find the L bend tail pipe for it anywhere :-(

Can these L bends still be purchased? I think they look way better than the S bend pipe - and I want one for my car! I have 240 Turbo but cant find the L bend tail pipe for it anywhere :-(

Rockauto has them. They are not the highest quality (ugly bends!) but quite servicable. I used one when replacing my rusted out exhaust.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...985,exhaust+&+emission,pipe+/+resonator,10038

Alternatively, any exhaust shop which can bend tubing should be able to make one for you.

Closer to 57mm.

But, yes, 50mm is 2".

The turbo exhaust drops from 2.5" to 2.25" where the under axle pipe is located. For a full 2.5" system, you just need to cut the 2.25" section off and install 2.5" pipe and a 2.5" inside diameter muffler.

Harald,

Are you running a stock turbo muffler? If yes, the S pipe might help a little, but not much. If the system is aftermarket and bigger diameter, you might have to custom build a system with an S pipe. Main reason for the S shape to the tailpipe is to prevent the exhaust from punching a hole in the tank in a major rearend collision. Instead, the exhaust will bend, like the system that's currently on my 245, which happened to come off a car that was hit in the rear. Partially helps explain why I had my driver's side engine mount fail, and, before then, both muffler hangers at the rear to fail.

Technically, and I'm the furthest thing from an engineer, I've been told that every 90* bend you add into a pipe changes the sound. It's got something to do with the way soundwaves travel?

Interesting thread, on my 240 the only things non-stock that change the sound, I am aware of are the VX Cam and adjustable cam gear, which together give it a very distinct drone at idle.

:-P

200 does not suffer from the drone so much because the exhaust has more bends than 700/900. Especially when going over the axle, which I've done always up to 3.5".

Even a stock 700/900 NA 16V gets a nasty drone with stock exhaust without the S bend. With bigger pipe diameter and smaller mufflers it has way more effect. A turbo 700/900 with 3" exhaust and decently sized free flow mufflers is pretty nice with a 2.5" S-bend.

Back