• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

TD04-19T alternatives - 300-400bhp target

The_Geoffrey

As the title suggests, looking at alternatives to the TD04-19T.

Will be going on a B230FT and the target is 300-400bhp.

The biggest advantage to the Mitsu is it?s a direct bolt on to my manifold, however I?m happy to have adapters made up if I feel it?s worth it.

probably depends on your budget. I ran 19t for quite a while and liked it. But with my new motor Im running a Gtx3067r on a header. I wanted to run a Evo turbo but never got around to the manifold for it.

I don't see making 300 on a 19T - they are pretty much at their limit on T5's around that. Too small of a hot side, unless you find the later angle flange used on the 2000R . Good rod-bender. Maybe it doesn't build so quick on the 4cyl, 8valve....

I don't see making 300 on a 19T - they are pretty much at their limit on T5's around that. Too small of a hot side, unless you find the later angle flange used on the 2000R . Good rod-bender. Maybe it doesn't build so quick on the 4cyl, 8valve....

What makes you say that, seems to be a common choice for people wanting that power, my understanding is the T5 came with a 16T??

go with a small t3 variant.. the old school t3/t4 50trim will make 400hp and is fairly cheap..

I have a T3 that came off of a Sierra Cosworth which I?m using on another project, don?t mind throwing it on as long as it performs, can?t seem to find any compressor maps for it!

I maxed out a 19T on my b230F on a dyno tuning session, 268 wheel, 296 lb/ft of torque @ 24 psi. power went down with higher boost.

If you want to run around 220-240 wheel, its a decent match. Beyond that you should go bigger. EFR all day long.

I maxed out a 19T on my b230F on a dyno tuning session, 268 wheel, 296 lb/ft of torque @ 24 psi. power went down with higher boost.

If you want to run around 220-240 wheel, its a decent match. Beyond that you should go bigger. EFR all day long.

I thought the numbers were better than that, proof is in the pudding I suppose!

What was it making at the crank? And what was it like to drive?

I thought the numbers were better than that, proof is in the pudding I suppose!

What was it making at the crank? And what was it like to drive?

The car felt great. tons of torque. great midrange, not so wonderful up top but I wasn't expecting a ton up there.

It was fast enough to be fun but thats highly subjective.

Crank numbers are irrelevant unless you have an engine dyno for tuning ;-)

Im sure I could get a higher peak # if I went with a bigger cam and bigger valves but it was well matched to what I wanted the car to be.

The car felt great. tons of torque. great midrange, not so wonderful up top but I wasn't expecting a ton up there.

It was fast enough to be fun but thats highly subjective.

Crank numbers are irrelevant unless you have an engine dyno for tuning ;-)

Im sure I could get a higher peak # if I went with a bigger cam and bigger valves but it was well matched to what I wanted the car to be.

Well lets put it this way, I had a 945 B230 totally stock with MBC set at 12 psi and thought that was a laugh so 250-300 at the wheels will probably cause a trouser accident.

What are you running now? I’m looking at holset as they seem great value and are in budget!

Last edited:
What makes you say that, seems to be a common choice for people wanting that power, my understanding is the T5 came with a 16T??

I have a T3 that came off of a Sierra Cosworth which I?m using on another project, don?t mind throwing it on as long as it performs, can?t seem to find any compressor maps for it!

Sierra Cosworth 4x4 compressor map
https://stealth316.3sg.org/images/t3-60trim-cfm.gif

2wd Cossies had a .55 trim

Using this turbo (4x4) since 8 years. Love it. Would just change to Evo 16G6 if I could find a manifold...

Sierra Cosworth 4x4 compressor map
https://stealth316.3sg.org/images/t3-60trim-cfm.gif

2wd Cossies had a .55 trim

Using this turbo (4x4) since 8 years. Love it. Would just change to Evo 16G6 if I could find a manifold...

Mine is off of a 2WD Sierra Saphire Cosworth so probably not big enough.

What about Holset hx35?

I?ve had a look at these and they look great value for money and seem to get great reviews, my only concern is the twin scroll exhaust housing, not sure how that would fair bolted onto a stock 90+ manifold.

16T and 20 psi made about 260 hp but it was limited by knock and gasoline. We tried RE85 and it really helped a lot. 296 hp

Originally my goal was 250bhp at the wheels on standard internal with all other supporting mods. Now I?m chasing 350bhp and I?ve been told 19T isn?t big enough. I?d be more than happy at 250bhp but if I want to go for more then it means another turbo, would rather just get a big enough one to start with!

HY35 I can recommend for the 90+... a little smaller housing than the HX and single scroll...

Mine (10cm) easily did 1 bar at 3000 rpm on a milled 90+, stock engine with D cam and LH...
This was something else compared to the 18T I had before. This will work very well on a 90+, 8v and 1.5 bar.
Don't get scared by the "big turbo's don't spool" remarks, every time I upgraded turbo's I was pleasantly surprised. Go big or don't try. :rofl:

HX35 will give a little worse spool on a 90+ because you don't use the twin scroll and the housing is bigger, but it will make more power.

Mine is off of a 2WD Sierra Saphire Cosworth so probably not big enough.

I?ve had a look at these and they look great value for money and seem to get great reviews, my only concern is the twin scroll exhaust housing, not sure how that would fair bolted onto a stock 90+ manifold.

Originally my goal was 250bhp at the wheels on standard internal with all other supporting mods. Now I?m chasing 350bhp and I?ve been told 19T isn?t big enough. I?d be more than happy at 250bhp but if I want to go for more then it means another turbo, would rather just get a big enough one to start with!

This was with stock B230F and A-cam, medium size china cooler. Crank dyno, steady state measurement.

HY35 I can recommend for the 90+... a little smaller housing than the HX and single scroll...

Mine (10cm) easily did 1 bar at 3000 rpm on a milled 90+, stock engine with D cam and LH...
This was something else compared to the 18T I had before. This will work very well on a 90+, 8v and 1.5 bar.
Don't get scared by the "big turbo's don't spool" remarks, every time I upgraded turbo's I was pleasantly surprised. Go big or don't try. :rofl:

HX35 will give a little worse spool on a 90+ because you don't use the twin scroll and the housing is bigger, but it will make more power.

Sounds like the perfect turbo for the job I want!!

Had a little look online for one today and could only seem to find them on eBay from China, not sure how I feel about that tbh. Where did you get yours from and what wheels are you running? It seems there?s an endless combination on the holset turbos!

Keep in mind that the larger the turbo, the more the power band will shift upwards - to the point where the stock trans gearing isn't going to make the car pleasant to drive as a DD. Then you get into changing cams, adjustable timing gear, playing with FD ratios, and other stuff just to make it pleasant to drive again in the lower & mid range. Will end up costing way more than 4-600 quid.

The advantage to sticking with the 19T, or a 16G etc., is that they spool & build torque early. Unless you are going to drag or highway race this thing, that is way more satisfying from a driving perspective than high HP numbers, in my experience...

Back