• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

TheSwedes Volvo 242 Turbo -75

TheSwede

Hi there! I'm a normal swede with a abnormal interests in cars, especially old Volvos. I've built this car with some help from friends. My english isn't the best so I think I'll let the pics speak for them self. Here is my old engine specs.

B21ET bottom
530-cylinderhead with K-camshaft (original Volvo)
Stock valves
Nyman Motorsport intake
Nyman Motorsport header
VEMS-engine controller with sequential squirt and spark (cam-sync)
XS Power Intercooler (600x300x100) 3" input/output
Volvo Turbo pressureplate and sinter clutch disc
Getrag 262 gearbox from BMW 528i E28
Holset HX35w turbo (55mm in/60mm out) Housing #12
50mm wastegate (2")

My new engine specs:
B230
B230 rods (the ones from -89 and forward)
B230 pistons from a non-overcharged engine
Ported 530-cylinderhead
FS296-kam, 296 deg , 12,2mm (?") valvelift, 108 deg between knocks
Harder valvesprings (8000rpm)
Maybe I build a new intake.
I'll use the same header, turbo, intercooler, wastegate, exhaustsystem and enginecontroller that I used on the B21.

Drivetrain:
Same clutch
Same gearbox (Getrag 262)
Modified driveshaft
1031 axle with lamelldiscs (?)

Chassie:
Yellow adjustable (3-way) KONI Sport Shocks
Superflex-bushings
Lesjoforssprings
23mm swaybar in front, double 18mm swabar in the rearend

Inside:
Sparco Sprint chairs
Luisi Mocca steeringwheel
Rollcage
Autometer instruments (speedo, tacho, watertemt, oiltemp, oilpressure, boost, fuelmeter)
Peltor Ear protection ;)

?vrigt:
Mattblack 17" rims, unknown label
Continentaltires (225/45 front, 225/55 rear)
I'll maybe build coilovers in front and rear this winter. I'm studying to become a CNC-operator.

If you have any questions about me, my car or anything else you just ask me, I'm not afraid for questions, I'm afraid for my bad english and that you won't understand me.

Pics!

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

grenror1.JPG

grenror2.JPG

grenror3.JPG

grenror4.JPG

kamdrev1.JPG

Made it on my own at school.
kamdrev2.JPG

koppling1.JPG

1/4 mile: 13,8 @ 174,1km/h.
1/8 mile: 9,2s @ 141,2km/h
0-100km/h: 5,8s
100-150km/h: 4,5s

I think I had about 300horsepower with the old engine. All my boost (1,8bar/26Psi) passed my bad pistonrings down in the crankcase/house so the engine didn't perform what it supposed to. So that's why I've built a new engine.

Regards // TheSwede :cool:

I've been following your built for a while, ever since you had that crazy turbo header that put the holset out way in front.

I've been following your built for a while, ever since you had that crazy turbo header that put the holset out way in front.

Ok! Yeah that was a wicked idea from the start, but it came from Saab 900 Turbo. The turboheader on them looked the same way.

Thanks for all posts. I hope to give you some entertainment in this thread. I have some more pics on the car and som other modifications. Here they are.

Bushing for crankshaftbearing on flywheelside.
bussning.JPG

sprangkapafras.JPG

sprangkapa.JPG

My new shifternobb.
v%e4xelspaksknopp.JPG

Return from turbo.
DSC00286.JPG

Oil to turbo.
DSC00288.JPG

My old turboinstallation and a glimpse on my old 16" rims.
2404.jpg

Some driving.
IMG_5547.jpg

Some marks.
IMG_5553.jpg

IMG_5599.jpg

IMG_5642.jpg

// TheSwede

Some more pics.

The gearbox fit together with clutchhouse (?) again.
gearbox1.JPG

Adapterplate in 15mm (0,60") steel.
gearbox2.JPG

The bushing that I made to fit in the ballbearing in the crankshaft.
gearbox3.JPG

That's all for now, hopefully I can install engine and gearbox next week.

// TheSwede

Well, nothing much has happend the last week. I got ill and had to stay away from the garage for a while but the flywheel and clutch has been mounted to the engine and the gearbox to. So it's preppared to get mounted in the chassie next week. Then I'll put all my energy on the cylinderhead so I can put the engine together and start it up! :)

// The Swede :cool:

FINALLY!

The engine and gearbox is installed. The swedish engieneers wasn't so smart when they did the mountings to the engine. But, after some cursing and bending we got it in place and then we left the garage. My friend had alot of pain in his throat and I didn't wan't him to get even worse.

I'll try to get you some updatepics later!

// TheSwede

Well, I haven't died, yet. But my focus have been at my family and school the latest time so that?s why I haven't updated anything. But hopefully I get finished with the cylinderhead this week and can mount it on the engine. Then it's "just" some mounting and turn key. :p

// TheSwede

Long time no update.

The cylinderhead is ported and finished. Next time I work on it, the valvesprings will be fitted. The lashcaps and the camshaft hopefully. Then it's time to fit it on the engine and get everything together. So, that's all for now.

// TheSwede

Back