• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 1992 240: Pusher fan remains on after turning car off

IansPlatinum

Hello, my 1992 240 is experiencing an issue now where the A/C pusher fan remains on despite the car being turned off. AC switch is off, and the ignition switch is brand new genuine Volvo only 1 year old. I tried turning key on & off and switching AC switch on & off with no change. Ended up having to pull battery cable. Through the summer, I had jumped the AC pressure switch wires so that the pusher fan turned on whenever the AC turned on. I pulled the jumper wires for that switch and the pusher fan still did not turn off.

Do you think the relay is physically stuck closed-loop?
Where is the relay that controls the pusher fan?
Do you think jumping the pressure switch sensor wires led to this?
Is there some other common issue that could cause this?

Thanks

Stuck relay. I think it's a small cube relay by the battery in a '92. If the fan is still stuck on, try tapping the nearby relays with a screwdriver handle to see if it will unstick. You can also trace the wires from the fan to find the relay.

You may have accelerated the issue by jumpering the high-pressure switch, causing the fan relay to cycle much more frequently than originally.

Fan relay is on left side of engine compartment (1993, near battery). Fan gets power from it when:

1. AC high pressure switch is grounded....GRY wire at this relay

Diagram shows two GRY wires coming into relay, one coming into it, and one going to AC pressure switch. Two red wires are shown...one from power supply, and one going to fan.

If AC pressure switch is unhooked, fan should not run...unless:

A. Relay is bad...fused contacter points

B. Pressure switch's wire is grounded somewhere...if relay plug is pulled, check with an ohm meter with ignition turned off, for a ground path. One probe on vehicle's ground, and other probe on one of GRY wires.
============================

Do note, there are two AC relays, one inside vehicle, and one in engine compartment. Engine compartment relay is what fires up fan.

1993 Diagram - https://www.davebarton.com/pdf/relay_93_240.pdf

When I left the hood close the fan turned off. Sounds like the relay is stuck...
Thanks y'all, time to shop for a new one

Back