• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo 244s with tinted windows

VolvoGLT

My 244 is getting really hot in the summer (no A/C) and I want to tint the windows. Preferably all (side and rear) windows with the same shade - don't really like the look of having the front side windows lighter than in the rear.
Do you have some pictures? Car should remain street legal so not too dark. Not sure what shade/color (green, grey, blue) I should pick...

Thanks

It depends what your laws are so I did 20% on the very back window rear windshield and then 35% on all my other windows as 35 is as dark as legal in North Carolina on a car
But if you still want to be able to see well and it’s legal in your area 20% all the way around is great

I’ve also done 5% on all the windows except for the front windshield and you had to roll down the window in the front to see behind you to back upBut at the time I was younger and dumber
In the 262s I have now I have gotten the passenger side air vent for the foot well and install that and relocated the ECU
Well worth it

It depends what your laws are so I did 20% on the very back window rear windshield and then 35% on all my other windows as 35 is as dark as legal in North Carolina on a car
But if you still want to be able to see well and it?s legal in your area 20% all the way around is great

I?ve also done 5% on all the windows except for the front windshield and you had to roll down the window in the front to see behind you to back upBut at the time I was younger and dumber
In the 262s I have now I have gotten the passenger side air vent for the foot well and install that and relocated the ECU
Well worth it

I will say that car is with 20% in the back and 35 on the sides you can?t really tell the difference to the point that I?ve never had a problem with inspection
But the inspection stations only have the tent tester that works on windows I can roll down some places have the two peas and could test a rear window if they wanted to

I did a 20% all the way around before and didn't get any hassle about it, even though it wasn't legal to do the front windows. Even a light tint will greatly improve the inside temps. I never got any crap about it in 10 years. The cops here tint their windows often also, so it is hard for them to accuse me of something they do on a regular basis.

A darker tint on the rear can be annoying when backing up after dark.

One thing I do know, if you get pulled over by the cops, roll the fronts down, turn interior light on, and put your hands on the steering wheel. I always went to inspection with the front windows rolled down as well, just in case.

This is 33% with the carbon ceramic upgrade to block out heat. 35% is legal here, so I'm pushing it on this one. The upgrade is definitely worth it though.

20200702_170659 by M. Blue 240, on Flickr

This is the basic film my shop uses and is 35%. In pics they look about the same, but in real life the 244 is noticeably (not a ton though) darker. I personally don't want to go darker because it makes visibility worse anytime the sun isn't up, so 75% of the time here in the PNW.

20200605_151018 by M. Blue 240, on Flickr

Back