• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

the heebspeed 940

dropped the engine and trans out the bottom. took a bit of doing, not sure if it would be easier out the top or the bottom, probably 6 one way, half a dozen the other. only had to cut the wires going to the knock sensors (won't be hooking them back up more than likely anyway).

hopefully this week I can get it split in two, get the lifter situation worked out with the engine, and figure out what all the transmission is going to need. converter is going to get re-stalled as well.

got the ol trans apart. Horror show of clutch destruction in the forward drum, and the intermediates and directs were burned but not de-lined. All bearings, bushings, etc looked awesome, and surprisingly, there was not an abundant amount of trash in the fluid or the pan (so, where did it go? hm), but whatevs. Took the pump apart, and initially didn't think much of it (there was nothing split or teeth missing on the gears), however after watching a disassembly and inspection video on the yootubes (for the pump, not the whole box) it is apparent that it's thrashed, both housings are scored up. I suspect this resulted in a pressure bleed at low rpms, and coupled with the trans tuning (I had line pressure relatively low at low throttle angles because hey, don't need it and don't want it to bang gears) likely resulted in premature wear on the low and intermediate clutches. The directs being torched is more likely due to the leak, hydraulic demand for the gear, and input power, but also could be from tooling around at low throttle angles and/or occasional towing putting demand on it.

so... new clutches and steels, new pump, air check the pistons (they only have however many miles are on the setup.. so like 4000 or something lol) to make sure nothing is leaking... may order some new pistons just to have on hand in case, and a cleanup/out of the case itself, and it should be good to go.

bouta order up some new ls9 gaskets and the trans stuff, and put in a hit with revmax to get the converter stall bumped up from the 1800 or so that it currently stalls out at to like 3600, and get this thing headed back towards running.

parts ordered for the 4L80 (gotta get a couple more, whoops). Geez stuff got spendy. clutches and steels ran me about 200 bucks, and it's just normal gm high energy stuff. there were a couple other odds and ends in there (band, some seals and what not).

gotta replace the cooler return fitting and the seal that goes with that, nbd tho.

cleaning and component analysis continues on the 4L80. noticed that there was some wear on one of the gears(it's not really a shaft), so I took apart the spare transmission I had... and it's rough... basically a case and a valve body, maybe a few other bits and pieces. got water in it at some point in the past (And sat upside down with water in it from the looks of things) and essentially trashed all the drums and other larger iron bits.. I can probably clean some of it up for spares, but some of it is just... bad. bummer, but eh. it was a core, so there is that. I'll be on the hunt for a broken case 80e I reckon.

anyway, the gear I needed was in good shape. The low/reverse "clutch" was also broken, that replacement should be here tomorrow. looks like the spot weld gave up for some reason. still waiting on the converter to come back, but I hope no news is good news on that front.
3 day weekend, so hopefully I can get the trans put back together, get the heads off and lifters replaced, and then get all that put back together. Need to kinda stay on top of this thing, got a c4 with a blower sitting halfway on the dyno that sort of runs, it's owner should be making a call on either replacing the busted old tec2 with a microsquirt, or going LS swap (kinda hoping he goes LS swap so I don't have to fool with the thing for a while, but whatevs), and a circle track honda getting a microsquirt & tune.. and an ls swapped trans am waiting to get back on the rollers after an eventful interlude from the last time (missing on 2 holes, low compression on one, ran out of gas by the time it was all sorted out, fun times).. apparently it's got a new engine and other things... should be fun times with hpt.

Awesome, glad to see things different but still the same as they ever was. Many a time I have eyeballed the lq4 on my stand and shot a cross look at the ol sub.

Always bud.

cleaned the case, greased the bearings, checked and stacked up the geartrain and center support, was about to stack up the direct clutch pack and thought I'd be cute and aircheck it first (to see if the sealing rings are still good on the center support hub mainly)....and found a small leak in the apply piston seal in the direct drum. regarding the sealing rings, they hold well enough to blow the direct drum up off the center support post. will still likely replace them while I wait on new bonded pistons because I have a bag of 30 or so, might as well.

Converter should be back some time early this week as well, so I should (hopefully) have the transmission back together by this weekend. That'll leave an afternoon's worth of work (pending no damaged camshaft) to pull the heads and replace the lifters, then it'll be time to reassemble on the bench and drop the car back down on it's drivetrain. Not likely to take place *this* weekend, but who knows.

new pistons showed up teusday. need to call and ask about the ol' converter, it seems to be MIA and Charlotte ain't that far up the road. Not holding me up, but I was under the impression it was shipping out a week ago, and ups hasn't informed me of anything.. want to make sure it's not sitting on someone else's doorstep or worse.

and I'm guessing they forgot to ship it. no lost converter, yaay. other delays though now include a neighbor's coworker's supercharged HD with an aftermarket blower needing to be sorted, still have a honda sitting on the rollers (that will hopefully get sorted saturday am), and the blown c4 getting a micro retrofit.

so much for that "I have time to work on my stuff now". I need to replace 'sure, I can take a look at that' with 'No.'

worked on the trans last night, was getting ready to bolt down the new pump when I discovered they sent the wrong gasket. le sigh. going to try and wrap it all up over the course of the week/weekend, and move on to the engine part of the shenanigans, which I'm hoping won't take very long. Famous last words though. It would be nice to have this thing almost off the lift by the middle of the month if not sooner, so we'll see.

nothing like a 4 month pause.

got the trans back together last night, new converter in, and bolted up to the engine. gonna shoot for an install this week, maybe even today or tomorrow.

but progress! finally!

couple pics. didn't make it to the shop yesterday, will push for that today tho.
170872579.jpg

170872580.jpg

picked up fluids, filter and new plugs. got some housekeeping things to take care of after dinner, and then I should be able to drop it back on down. I doubt I have enough motivation to get it to a running state tonight, but it oughta be close.

gotta let that ball drop
170874992.jpg

suspension bolted back up (with new ball joints!)
170874994.jpg

moving wires, hooking up stuff.
170874995.jpg

intake back on and bolted down.
170874993.jpg

got a bunch of little things left, exhaust manifolds obviously and coils.. shooting for a startup this evening, that may be a bit optimistic, but, gotta have #squadgoals

the only set of wheels/tires I have for it are dry rotted though, so there won't be much in the way of driving around right away.

so, next morning notes:
It sounds like (and rev'd like) it wasn't running on all 8. that may or may not be the case, but will require further investigation. it didn't sit in fuel, so I dunno that that's the issue (and the fuel that sprayed out before I replaced an old ORB seal didn't smell varnished), could be some stuck injectors. also need to check the oil, I'm sure it's a little low (under filled and pumped some out to clear the turbo feed line). gotta add water to the cooling system (it's just 3/4 gallon of straight dexcool right now), slam the dry rotties up under it, put the wastegate back on, etc.

and of course, because dry rotties, no cool videos right away, but thems the breaks.

the skip and slow rev'ing was a poorly seated coil harness plug on the passenger side (which was also why it was blowing as much vapor in the air last night as it was lol)

not much to report today. transmission appears to work correctly, yay. all fluids are more or less topped off, everything is connected except the exhaust past the downpipe. haven't decided what I'm going to do about all all that yet. May put the wheels on tomorrow and see what's up, and I seem to recall there being a diode that needs to go in the trans controller harness to prevent really violent 1-2 shifts, need to look into that (and the sloppy brake that forces 3rd gear). I am eager to see how it feels with the re-stalled converter, and to see if the rear end is in bad shape.. something back there went clank a couple of times, may have been pads on rusty rotors, or..well we'll see I reckon lol.

runs and drives, diff still locks, so that's good. forcing 3rd gear I can foot brake it to around 2800ish (I'll check the datalog later), but it's still snug enough in normal driving to not be annoying.

steering wheel somehow ended up upside down, and one of the damn torx for the airbag stripped out. need to find a t35 and try and hammer it in, or get the 90 degree drill going. the alternative is dropping the steering rack enough to get the lower ujoint off.

anyway, that's where it's at. needs tires and a solid washing all around.

Back