• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1984 245T mLPT B274FT Project

yes, that's what i was noticing, that's what the extra displacement will help do for you.

the size of turbo will have an affect on that as well, he's all in at 28 by 4200 and not suprisingly, thats where the tq peaks at. Looks good, get the fuel system sorted out. I went with two 044's and no in-tank pump, I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about the A1000 from the honda people, and those pumps are fairly loud. my 044's are relatively quiet even with being mounted to the body of the car with a pair of metal brackets.

I would suggest an 044 under the car, and a bona-fide walbro in the tank, or if you can dig one up, a 300zx TT pump, something like that. the combo would give you more than enough headroom for the setup unless you pick up a T88 in the future ;)

the size of turbo will have an affect on that as well, he's all in at 28 by 4200 and not suprisingly, thats where the tq peaks at. Looks good, get the fuel system sorted out. I went with two 044's and no in-tank pump, I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about the A1000 from the honda people, and those pumps are fairly loud. my 044's are relatively quiet even with being mounted to the body of the car with a pair of metal brackets.

I would suggest an 044 under the car, and a bona-fide walbro in the tank, or if you can dig one up, a 300zx TT pump, something like that. the combo would give you more than enough headroom for the setup unless you pick up a T88 in the future ;)

044 on the outside, 040 on the inside. Icecream fuel pump

I guess I?ve completed Stage 1 of the engine install. Four years is too long.

The engine was tuned to the limits of the stock fuel system. Other than an additional relay at the rear near the battery (so that the pumps are fed directly from the battery) my fuel system is stock from the in-tank pump up to the under-hood filter.

I have a list of things to do, but the fuel system upgrade is at the top, before tuning can resume. The chassis pump will either be the Aeromotive A1000 or the Bosch 044. I suspect I will delete the in-tank pump. (The Aeromotive people said their pump would work fine without one, even with a tank that draws from the top).

For performance purposes the car is essentially undriveable now. But adequate replacement tires are much more complicated than the fuel system upgrade (as Cappy and Bne can attest) and will wait until after the tuning is done.

Here is an Excel chart with the best torque run and best HP run merged, boost scale on right. Fuel pressure began to drop as the RPMs rose towards 6000 so the tuning stopped there. The engine does not have very much timing in it now for the same reason. Injectors are at about 78% duty cycle so they are not the limitation.

Chart is posted for info/update purposes only for people who enjoy chart-gazing, but I suspect it will look different when all is said and done.

[/IMG]

Dynapack dyno
Sunoco 93 octane
Max WHP - 457
Max WTQ - 489
I wouldn't go past 80% really

I would run the injectors out to around 95%, I assume these are not run of the mill junkyard injectors of questionable history.

You might also play with the fuel pressure a bit.

It's funny you guys are discussing fuel injectors. He said the car was losing fuel pressure...

Why did you pay other people to do all this work on/for your car?

Please don't misunderstand me or take this the wrong way. I'm genuinely curious and depending on your answer I would like to follow-up with other questions.

Please don't misunderstand me or take this the wrong way. I'm genuinely curious and depending on your answer I would like to follow-up with other questions.

Hi Karl, can you be more specific? I'm not sure which work you mean. I paid for dyno tuning because I don't have a dyno or any tuning experience, and I paid for BNE to design and fab the plenum since I don't know how to weld or have access to precision metal cutting equipment. Was it these things or something else?

Hi Karl, can you be more specific? I'm not sure which work you mean. I paid for dyno tuning because I don't have a dyno or any tuning experience, and I paid for BNE to design and fab the plenum since I don't know how to weld or have access to precision metal cutting equipment. Was it these things or something else?
He's just being a Karl.

Yea, seriously!!! you should of totally forged your own pistons and stamped your body panels. way to cop out

Yea, seriously!!! you should of totally forged your own pistons and stamped your body panels. way to cop out

yeah! and why didn't you make your own steel using a Bessemer or LD-converter Karl? Using pre-made metal is just like bolting on brown tops and a 15g. No creativity involved.

Well, I'm not completely clued in the progression/history of your project, but the impression I've gotten is that you've been a bit of a slave to other people's schedules in waiting for stuff to get done.

I think my main question here is in relation to your 'stage 1 engine install' taking four years. How much of that time was spent waiting for other people? If you knew then what you know now, would you be satisfied with such a long time span? Would that perhaps have motivated you differently in choosing to perhaps learn the necessary skills and doing it yourself rather than farming something out?

Well, I'm not completely clued in the progression/history of your project, but the impression I've gotten is that you've been a bit of a slave to other people's schedules in waiting for stuff to get done.

I think my main question here is in relation to your 'stage 1 engine install' taking four years. How much of that time was spent waiting for other people? If you knew then what you know now, would you be satisfied with such a long time span? Would that perhaps have motivated you differently in choosing to perhaps learn the necessary skills and doing it yourself rather than farming something out?

That's a reasonable question. I would say that yes, a big part of the four years was spent waiting other people. Everything about this installation is custom. The only place that the engine has an interface with the rest of the car that follows the factory form is one of the engine mounts. Every other linkage, bracket, hose, pipe, mount, and wire is custom. I designed all of these interfaces and fabricated them, farming out only the welding, which I don't do.

I ordered the long-block, header, and intake (minus air box) from UNITEK. The engine was great (so far), except for the cam-carrier being poorly sealed to the head with RTV. The header was not properly designed to fit in a 240, requiring modifications to both the header and firewall. (The struggle with the airbox and hood has already been discussed elsewhere.)

Before this install, the most complex thing I had ever done was a transmission swap. Everything I did was trial and error, mock-up and test fit, etc. Everything I did was the first time I had ever done it and I had a LOT of do-overs. When you are asking other people for work that is one-off, that they've never done before, and you're not willing to pay for their full-time focus, your work gets attention whenever they have spare time from the stuff that really pays their bills.

On the stuff I designed and made myself, I got stumped a lot. I had to take breaks and do research, order parts and fittings, wait for them to come, realize they wouldn't work, and then do more rethinking. I had, on average, less than 10 hours a week to dedicate to this project, including weekends. There were many weeks that I never touched the car.

Just this last tuning session took 3 months. My dyno operator is exceptionally well qualified but had never seen an Omex EMS before. The details are not like MOTEC and the other systems he designs and installs. He spent a lot of time on my car that he did not charge me for. As a result, I was not his first priority.

Would I do it differently if I had to do it over? I don't think so. The other priorities in my life are much more important than this project. Learning to weld would have been the only other skill I could have learned that would have helped, but the time I would have spent learning to do the quality of welding I paid to have done would likely have used up the time it saved. (But I still wish I knew how to weld.)

Were I to start this project today, I would obviously chose to work with Knox or RSI or JVAB, etc. to have the engine built, but when I ordered it 6 years ago no one in the US was building full-house turbo redblocks to spec.

Back