• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

760 5 cylinder...scratching a 10 year itch

Nah, it always reads low. Highway cruising is at something like 2000 RPM, so I guess the 6 cyl tach must be the issue. Thanks for confirming! I'll try and have a look today at the fuel pump relay today!

170 lb/in front and rear wheel rates on my car still pretty much rides like stock, and seems a bit soft up front. 225 or 250 in the front would probably be my suggestion with 200 lb rears, with dampers/swaybars to match. I have a 740/940 suspension setup spreadsheet that I can clean up and post if you want. Might be useful although you'll probably need to weigh some (unsprung) stuff in the rear, and/or the whole car if you're feeling ambitious.

For the fuel pump relay pins:
31b - to B27 from ecu
31 -ground
15 - switch 12V from the main relay
87 -to fuel pump

Damn really? I could have sworn I was trying that but I may have been with a normal 4 pin relay, not the Volvo one.

Congrats on getting it inspected, wish CA would be as understanding as up there and let you put the motor in with COP.

I have a 740/940 suspension setup spreadsheet that I can clean up and post if you want.
That would be great if you can! Anything that can help with making the right decision based on math and not guessing!

I know there's a weigh scale outside the city off the highway that I had used years ago. I'll see if it's still there.

Damn really? I could have sworn I was trying that but I may have been with a normal 4 pin relay, not the Volvo one.

Congrats on getting it inspected, wish CA would be as understanding as up there and let you put the motor in with COP.

Well it was just an insurance inspection so basically do the brakes, lights, and signals work. I guess for better and for worse things are pretty lax in Alberta otherwise though...

Came home Friday and there was an odd sound. Pulley came off the alternator, damn. I had just taken it into boost a bit for the first time a few minutes earlier. Looks like it spun enough to open the inner diameter of the pulley so it doesn't fit right now. New alt time. Hurty shoulder so my brother is going to help me swap it out next week.

Also got the base tune from VA5T loaded, so now I need to get it running so I can get him a log for tuning. Got my wideband installed so we can see about ditching the NBO2 and use the heater circuits for VVT control!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Q69Kr8SdQUZEXtgFuZ_T0WmfJ1yeHNjBC70T7qIPZUs/edit?usp=sharing

This should work, you'll have to make a copy and put your own dimensions in especially for the IRS setup. I modified it from a Miata spreadsheet that I found, with dimensions I measured. Feel free to message me if you want to talk about this stuff/if anything seems confusing. For comparison's sake, here's a similar set of numbers for E46 M3s that I found, made by the same guy originally:

http://www.fatcatmotorsports.com/FC...Online/FCM_Ride_Harmony_BMW_E46_M3_Online.htm

My god! That's a huge spreadsheet. Certainly seems like the opposite of guessing which I like. I'll try and decode it when I get to doing the front coilovers, hopefully this winter.

Got the new alternator in so we're back in action! Also found a low miles crashed 99 S70 so I took the coils and harness which isn't falling apart. Also got the thermostat housing which has the 2 ports, but found out the 98- sensor is too long for the lower port. Not sure if I can get away with taking some material off the front....

Took the car for a longer trip yesterday. Having cold start challenges, and the fan seems to run all the time, so I'm going to test the coolant sensor today, guessing it's failed in the hot position.

Car has the expected T5 transmission rattle at ~2100-2400rpm, I'll try and fine tune the drive angles and see if I can make it any happier

Well, 2 more months of daily driving the swap, and it's been a blast. Only hiccup was popping the intake hose off the throttle body when I got my updated tune with increased boost. It'll spin the tires in 1st and 2nd no problem now. Need an LSD!

As luck would have it a 1992 960 showed up at the yard. I'd been hoping to find one for a spare IRS subframe to mount my BMW LSD (a la Sander). Other cool thing is the driveshaft has a CV joint at the back which looks to be the same size as one of the medium case BMW diffs used. Very nice if the driveshaft and both halfshafts end up being bolt on.

This one just so happened to have 102k kms on the clock when crashed! I thought maybe the odometer had broken, but everything on it seemed in spectacular shape, so I grabbed the whole rear end. Also came with the rear sway for IRS which will be nice to have. And all the bushings on it (most of which are NLA) look good.

Also found a weight that bolts on the tailshaft of the T5 trans which seems to have reduced the rattle from ~2100-2300 partially.

Next up (hopefully over xmas) is to get the VVT working with motronic 4.4, and start getting things ready for some proper kaplhenke short coilovers up front.

(not loving what imgur has done with their site - anybody have other suggestions for image hosting?)

Anybody have any brilliant ideas for the tone ring for the speedo? I know I could do a signal converter (prefer not). I'm thinking if I could get someone to water jet a custom tone ring that looks like the BMW one, but with more teeth. Any other ideas?

You can click the right arrow to page through the images...

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/ZgJUpIe" data-context="false" ><a href="//imgur.com/a/ZgJUpIe"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last edited:
Gotta love the holidays. A little bit of down time to make progress.

Donor car donated strut housing for modification. Got the IRS mostly apart, and I've started eyeballing how this BMW LSD is going to get welded in!

DH9QLTrm.jpg

YIlGqAYm.jpg

v8c0p4fm.jpg

xkVeeSLm.jpg

Last edited:
Not a single question eh?

So I've decided I'm moving on from the T5 trans after using it for the last 12 years or so. New one is a Gs6-37 out of a BMW, with a welded volvo bellhousing.

First I got diverted by the tire machine which stopped spinning one way. Interesting design inside. 14 pistons that alternate firing. Just needed some new seals in the end.
lvDnZ8al.jpg

ldk7y9Fl.jpg

Out with the old
ElKxtufl.jpg

The new
lQSiJXKl.jpg

Another custom clutch from Southbend. They seem to make quality units.
0XBBAHwl.jpg

Modifications to the clutch fork so the clutch can release fully. This trans has a somewhat short input shaft as the BMW it comes on has the pilot bearing in the flywheel.
YC9Eofcl.jpg

tHFYOIxl.jpg

And shortened slave cyl rod. thankfully BMW also uses a 3/4" diameter piston, like volvo, so everything should play well there.
ESHeyeTl.jpg

Using a shifter assembly from (I think) a 1 series, which looks like it will put the shifter right where I want it.
f2mFnDVl.jpg

That's gonna be awesome, I've been feeling like I cheeped out going T5 behind a whiteblock. Should be much nicer with a more modern transmission behind it. I was looking into the S6-53BZ units for another swap I have planned but opted for a cheaper 5 speed again. Definitely interested to hear how the transmission works out.

What kept you from CD009? Seems in a 7series the shifter length would be closer without piecing together bits, and their is adapters available vs. a cut and shut shipped overseas:$$$$

I wouldn't say the T5 is cheaping out, I really do love the feel of how they shift. I had convinced myself I would be happy with the T5 behind the T5,and In almost every way I was. In really of 2 minds cause with the MGW shifter, the shift feel was so crisp and, and I thought the gear ratios were quite good.
But at the end of the day it's a bit of a noisy trans, and my perfectionism set in. And how is a 6 speed not more fun?

I considered the CD009 for quite a while too, but ironically it seemed like it would inevitably be more than the GS6 by the time you get a custom driveshaft and shifter figured out. And then I came across a 740 with a M47 to donate the front driveshaft which is drop in with this trans...

I had contacted bakaxel, but they wouldn't ship overseas, so I ended up going with MKM motorsports. I got the trans in 3 days which was impressive!

Hoping to get the trans in next weekend!

Gotta love that Volvo made a recess in the flywheel that takes the same pilot bearing that BMW used in a lot of models.
oTVT6eyl.jpg

Decided to reinforce the clutch fork where I had to take out some material for clearance. Probably overkill
tlmCZhul.jpg

Progress!

Figured out a mounting solution for the shifter. I was initially thinking I would have to find the mount from a M90 to hold the back of it, but it turns out BMW part #25-11-7-539-193 fits nicely, and after drilling 2 holes I was able to just rivet it in. Shifter assembly from an e90 was almost dead on for length.
ZBBCfj6l.jpg

WGvPSBal.jpg

Finished installing the short struts, and moved the mounting bolt over to improve my -0.3 degree camber per last alignment.
qDZ5Subl.jpg

Fancy mounting plate from MKM to give leeway for mounting.
l8xDLDOl.jpg4

All installed with new flex disc (the thicker one that M cars use)
IPM50Sbl.jpg

Found a stock BMW slave cylinder line that uses a universal push fit fitting - same as the newer ford slave cylinder had with my previous setup - so I just reused the -4AN line and universal push fitting from before.
6Tikx8Ql.jpg

Ran out of time, so tomorrow I'll do a final once over, and get it back on the ground for a test drive!

Has it really been over 6 months!?

Been having lots of fun with the car, approaching 10k kms on the 5 cylinder and it has performed nearly flawlessly. Only had one issue where the fuel pump relay went (I always have a spare in the glovebox, but I finally bought a new OEM one). Otherwise I haven't done anything major. I got the Motronic ecu tucked properly away above the clutch pedal. But now I am gearing up for the next project on it: the BMW LSD to help with traction.
FOJ3Hc4l.jpg

I found this housing on Ebay - from california. Seemed like a lot less effort than getting the rusty one sandblasted, so that'll be my starting point. The plan is to rebuild it with new clutch packs, bearings and seals. I entertained the idea of putting a truetrac in the volvo housing and save the custom work, but a lot of the parts to rebuild them are NLA. Oh well, the 2.93 BMW rear end will play better with the transmission gear ratios.
MdpoDexl.jpg

I also flipped the ackermann inserts to get the steering to a point where it feels like the car tracks normally on turns (not feeling like it's dragging a tire)
Pko40JOl.jpg

And most recently, got rid of the old square panel lights for the more modern style. Now on the hunt for proper 760 lights.
AxS2s17l.jpg

And now that this project is in a good place, I've been getting distracted with my BMW E21 build. A friend called in the spring with an E36 M3 that he was parting out, so now I'm working on dropping in an S52. I guess this makes my car collection redundant, 2 5 cylinder cars, and 2 S52 powered cars!
The thread if anyone is interested:
https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2450977-83-320i-S52-swap-and-eventual-rebuild

Back