• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

LH2.2 Tuning For Non-Volvo Installation / X1/9 Dallara + K24 Swap

lookforjoe

Making Volvo Parts Fit
300+ Club
Edit: LH2.4 Conversion starting here: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpost.php?p=5182989&postcount=64

Honda K24 Drivetrain conversion starts here:
http://http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpost.php?p=5992171&postcount=178

Hello

Here's my dilemma: I want to use LH2.2 in my '87 X1/9 & get rid of the L-Jet.

X19_0534.jpg

X19_0535.jpg

I have all the components from an '86 240. Tuning LH2.2 seems to be a problem based on the threads I've found on here. 1600cc motor vs. 2300cc.

Not practical to use LH2.4 since I have no speed signal, no crank signal & no practical way to add, especially the speed signal.

So, searching Tbricks, I found a couple of threads LH2.2 tuning and this one and this one.

My MAIN concern is modifying the fuel maps for the much smaller injectors (14lb vs. 20lb) that I will need to install for the 1600cc motor. Unless I'm much mistaken, that really should be the only area of concern.

I am planning on modifying a LH fuel rail and using LH style injectors in place of the low resistance L-Jet injectors, I've found Holley(522-1408) & Accel (150-114) injectors online in the appropriate flow rating.

Any words of wisdom from those that have played around with LH2.2?

EDIT: related (BMW) threads here and here

EDIT: Post with EZK & LH modding threads

Last edited:
Turn down fuel pressure instead via regulator or PWM?

I am not sure how well the spray pattern would be at that level.

Turn down fuel pressure instead via regulator or PWM?

I am not sure how well the spray pattern would be at that level.

Interesting thought - I haven't found any tables that show flow below the standard 42psi rating, so as you mentioned, spray pattern may be a concern. My injectors are about 50% smaller, so I think the required pressure drop would be significant.

Thanks for the link! Don't know why that one didn't show up - it's more recent.

I only need to modify Fuel ECU - so, I need a Ostrich, or can the original ECU be flashed? That is unclear to me?

The posts like this one, and the following 16x16 & 4x16 bit are greek to me, I'm not a programmer or Math person AT ALL, so I'll need to figure out the simplest possible way to address the fueling.

I have LH2.2 & 2.4 ECU's (544, 554, 561)
IMG_3254_zps9b27bd9d.jpg

and a couple of EZK boxes

IMG_3256_zpsa98eb506.jpg

2.2 & 2.4 MAF

IMG_3255_zpsddd31420.jpg

Don't recall now what they came from, but easy enough for me to access pretty much any other 200/700 ECU's

Maybe I should drill the flywheel for using a pulse wheel

IMG_3251_zps24577b54.jpg

Problem would be ignition system - I already have a standalone electronic ignition system designed for this motor, making EZK work seems very problematic, and I still am without a practical way to provide a speed signal for 2.4...

Last edited:
If you used the volvo injectors wouldn't 2.2 just adjust based on air flow? Or is it not that flexible?

I don't think it can drop almost 50% - unless I'm missing something, the 30lb injectors will still be delivering way to much fuel across the board.

EDIT: NA should be 21lb, not 30lb.

Last edited:
What about LH2.2 computers from smaller than Redblock engines?

Doesn't SAAB have a few LH2.2 cars with 2000cc and smaller motors? Look at VW too, they've got their 1.8L motors that might have a LH2.2 computer.

This thread is interesting to me...I've been in the market for a 2.3L Ford Ranger, and thought of LH2.2 to convert from carburetor...though they have a nice standalone EFI system that's just bolt in.

machining the flywheel for a 60-2 pattern should be pretty easy and a good way to add a timing sensor so you can run lh2.4. There seems to be much more support for tuning the lh2.4 ecu over the 2.2 stuff so you won't have to do as much tweaking.

you can burn a chip or run ostrich with certain 2.4 ecu's.

I need to re-read the LH2.4 design & function manual - if I can use the fuel side only and forget the EZK, then it may work. I was mistaken about the injectors - 30lb is turbo, NA should be around 21lb, in which case, given a 30% adjustment rate, I nay just be able to tune using stock LH injectors.

What about LH2.2 computers from smaller than Redblock engines?
Doesn't SAAB have a few LH2.2 cars with 2000cc and smaller motors? Look at VW too, they've got their 1.8L motors that might have a LH2.2 computer.
in.

I'll research this end a little. I prefer to use Volvo parts when possible, just because I have ready access to all things 240/700.

Do you have any idea what VW models I should look at ? Golf / jetta perhaps?

if it's na, id just run the Volvo na injectors and stock fuel pressure. No tuning required. I think it'll work just fine.

Guys have run LH on their B20 motors...read 2.0L, which isn't too far from your 1.8L

Mine's 1.6l - however point taken. I may just get some 16- 18lb injectors & see if I can tune it that way. Trying to weigh the viability of LH2.4 if I'm not using the Volvo ignition setup. Can't figure out from the LH2.4 what values are sent to the fuel ECU from the two signals. Also no description of the speed signal form - I need that too for idle control, no?

I can get a VW speedo sensor that will produce a pulse and fit the Fiat/Lancia gearbox, but I don't know if the wave form is compatible.

I think you would need to scope the signal. I have a feeling that one has something to do with the knock enrichment. LH2.2 uses no speed sensor. Only the dizzy hall sensor. So maybe gets info from the Ezk unit.

No speed signal is no problem for LH2.4 (you lose overrun fuel cut, but I drove without it for a year or so and never noticed the difference). And there are ways to get the crank signal required. So 2.4 could be a possibility.

Also why the need to tune 2.2 when using it on a smaller motor? It has an airflow meter, and given the smaller engine creates less airflow there will be less fuel injected. With stock injectors and stock fuel pressure you should be running pretty well. From what I've heard getting good ignition timing is often a trickier business.

Timing on lh2.2 is adjusted by moving the distributor. If you want to adjust the ignition map on the lh2.2 EZK this is how..

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=268066&highlight=simon

This is also a repost from my other post above these posts.... If you look at that last post in that thread are all the tools needed to tune your LH 2.2 ignition map... Now you will need a 40 pin DIP programmer and some blank chips. I got mine on ebay..

Simon

Back