• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

DUAL SWAYBARS (**everything you need to know**)

To be sloppy and loose? Oversteer under severe load only?

Oi. Some folks autox with no rear bar. It isn't sloppy or loose with no rear bar, it just doesn't suddenly and violently oversteer from being too stiff.

I haven't changed my setup yet from the dual turbo bars in the rear. It can be fun, sure. But this morning on the way to work before the plows had done much of anything, it was a complete bitch trying to keep it from sliding all over the place even on moderate turns.

But doesn't the rear end still have a ton of body roll that could, maybe, throw the backside spinning? Or would it just drag like a big weight? If the latter, I think I get it now for racing. Less tire spin less time wasted And *better* (more predictable) control/handling?
I dont know. New to this here double trouble sway stuff and whatnot.

But doesn't the rear end still have a ton of body roll that could, maybe, throw the backside spinning? Or would it just drag like a big weight? If the latter, I think I get it now for racing. Less tire spin less time wasted And *better* (more predictable) control/handling?

The problem with a too stiff rear, is that it's not predictable. It's not " Ok, the rear is probably going to step out now" it's 'Holy ****, why did the rear just step out' Which can sometimes be fun.

I hear where you're coming from on this. Until i experienced it, I couldn't fathom why someone wouldn't want the rear to be as stiff as possible.

New to it to thats why I asked :-D

The problem with a too stiff rear, is that it's not predictable. It's not " Ok, the rear is probably going to step out now" it's 'Holy ****, why did the rear just step out' Which can sometimes be fun.

I hear where you're coming from on this. Until i experienced it, I couldn't fathom why someone wouldn't want the rear to be as stiff as possible.

Yeah I go on really loose dirt (like powder) so it steps out really easily even at low speeds with the stock sways so I didn't know if it would make a dif or not considering the looseness of the dirt, however there are also some pretty packed and heavily rutted areas I drive so I was also thinking too stiff in the rear could cause the opposite tire to lose something as well and cause issues.
I'm trying to find a happy balance based on others experiences as I don't have alot of money atm and I haven't found much info on this mod past asphalt use, plus I'm buying a 960 sedan I gotta drop some $$ into as well to get it where I want :grrr:

I have dual stock swaybars in the front of my 164, and 1 stock 240 bar in the rear. I believe this is a perfect combination. a little stepout in the rear when its really wet outside. when its dry I need a better seat to hold on ;)

I have dual stock swaybars in the front of my 164, and 1 stock 240 bar in the rear. I believe this is a perfect combination. a little stepout in the rear when its really wet outside. when its dry I need a better seat to hold on ;)

Sounds like that's what i'll try then, test it out off-road and see how it performs since I can always remove it later and try that :-D thanks for the info

Edit: Has anyone tried dual sways on a 92-94 960 sedan? I was gonna get a beefy one from IPD but it says it only fits on the wagon and not the sedan so even if it does this will be the cheaper alternative and i'd rather do it this way

Last edited:
Sounds like that's what i'll try then, test it out off-road and see how it performs since I can always remove it later and try that :-D thanks for the info

Edit: Has anyone tried dual sways on a 92-94 960 sedan? I was gonna get a beefy one from IPD but it says it only fits on the wagon and not the sedan so even if it does this will be the cheaper alternative and i'd rather do it this way

Your multilink already have a rear bar and is not able to fit dual due to lack of space. And AFAIK there are no upgrades on that. And an early 960 probably have a 24mm front bar. Which is 1mm thinner than the ipd one.

Your multilink already have a rear bar and is not able to fit dual due to lack of space. And AFAIK there are no upgrades on that. And an early 960 probably have a 24mm front bar. Which is 1mm thinner than the ipd one.

yeah wouldn't want dual rear anyway just front but if it's already 24mm not much of a point, and good to know just got the car last weekend for my birthday from UTAHGTBRIK so haven't had much chance to learn more on it

Does anybody on this thread have the original pictures that came with this post? I'm looking to do this and don't want to make any mistakes.

Back