• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 strut pass through

RickATL

I got this FCP strut pass through 24mm CTA 3039X07 socket for strut installs.

I thought a 1/2 extension would hold the strut while i tightened the nut? Does anyone know what will work?

Attachments

• 0_preview.jpg
    0_preview.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 198
I ran a 3/8" extension and socket through a 1/2" drive socket, held the 1/2" drive socket with big ass channel grip pliers and turned the shaft with the 3/8"drive socket. Other than using an impact gun.

I have an impact gun and 24mm impact socket, but i thought the whole point of this socket is to be able to keep the strut from spinning while tightening the 24mm nut?

I have an impact gun and 24mm impact socket, but i thought the whole point of this socket is to be able to keep the strut from spinning while tightening the 24mm nut?
Inertia is your friend.
Not bl-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-spinny-spin.
Blip. Blip. Blip.
Let the nut tighten a bit more with each blip, before the heavier main shaft has a chance to start spinning.

^^impact little bit at a time will tighten it up
Air impacts work better then electric for it tho

Inertia is your friend.
Not bl-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-spinny-spin.
Blip. Blip. Blip.
Let the nut tighten a bit more with each blip, before the heavier main shaft has a chance to start spinning.

At first I was like what the hell? and now I'm worried that this makes sense to me.:) Thanks. I will still be wondering how that pass through is supposed to work though.

The pass through socket allows another tool to "pass through" the socket to hold the strut shaft.

StrutNutTools1.jpg

The problem with most pass through tools is the flat or hex on the strut you are grabbing will round or shear before you get to the torque spec.

Thank you, i get that, but what tool? I can put a 3/8 or 1/2 extension through, but no socket seems to fit the half flat / half round top of the strut for holding it in place. The pass through socket works fine to turn the 24mm nut, i just need to know what can "pass through" the center and hold the strut from spinning.

I guess that pelican parts tool is what will do it, but its hard to tell from the photo.

Most strut manufacturers use a different tool to hold the shaft. You may need more than 1 tool if you're changing brands.

1313062_x800.webp

Gee, what's wrong with the deep off-set box end wrench for $15?

Nothing wrong with that method of removal. The special tool was only about $80 when I bought it 25 years ago. It makes the strut replacement a good bit easier. I think it's pretty cool that Volvo still supplies many special tools for these old jalopies.

Back