• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

First gen dash pad removal

If I understand your question correctly the answer is you can't. The entire top of the dash is a sheet metal core with a foam coating and a vinyl covering over that. All of it is stuck together. If you want to replace the entire top you must pretty much disassemble the whole dash.

I'm am assuming the construction is the same as the latter '81 and up, just a slightly different shape.

Actually, the foamy vinyl pad is detachable from the sheet metal bracket, that's how my new one came. I am mostly expecting to remove the whole thing. It looks simpler than the later dash, but hoping to see if someone had a walkthrough.

Actually, the foamy vinyl pad is detachable from the sheet metal bracket, that's how my new one came. I am mostly expecting to remove the whole thing. It looks simpler than the later dash, but hoping to see if someone had a walkthrough.

Very interesting. Never heard of it. Say... we are talking about Volvo 200 series here, right?

Yes, yes we are, the simple small hump 75-80 200 dashboard. I will give pics of the unmounted one when I get home to show y'all better.

Just take out all of the screws and it comes off.

It doesn't come completely apart. It is bonded to the metal frame.

You can remove the pad without taking out the whole dash, but it's more time than whole dash and then break it in 3 big chunks; pad and the remaining metal below pad/around steering wheel surround & the metal adjacent to the windshield...

Better to pull the steering wheel, cluster, and glove box and remove the one giant chunk more or less than reach through the cluster and fight to unscrew all those short screws for the pad...

You can remove the pad without taking out the whole dash, but it's more time than whole dash and then break it in 3 big chunks; pad and the remaining metal below pad/around steering wheel surround & the metal adjacent to the windshield...

Better to pull the steering wheel, cluster, and glove box and remove the one giant chunk more or less than reach through the cluster and fight to unscrew all those short screws for the pad...

Thank you, now the main screws holding this in are the ones underneath the lower rubber trim and the bolts in the door sills I'm guessing? Any suprises inside other than the defroster vents?

Back