• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Different Take on a V8 Swap - Duder's 4.6L Twin Turbo 245

If you split the dual diagonal system into separate front and rear systems then it would be possible to boost just the front brakes but you may not have enough pressure to lock the rears. Using a dual master setup with a balance bar would allow you to properly size the master for the rear unboosted brakes.

The only dual circuit booster I've seen was on a Lancia Flavia Zagato that one of my customers owned and conned me into working on.

1791430-A.jpg

I will add my input. So far the hydroboost has gone in smoothly-ish for me. It just barely clears the heads and looks fairly normal in place. The mods that I did need to make to it were all simple - nothing major. A lot of it actually lines up quite nicely with the Volvo setup as well...pedal attachment, master cylinder final location, etc. That being said, I'm very not excited about the hydraulic lines. I just know they're going to leak...lol. With turbo manifolds, I'd be nervous. There really isn't much room in that area with the engine in place, as you know. However, if I've learned anything in my endeavors with my build, nothing is impossible!

I like the idea of trying a dual master cylinder unboosted setup like culberro's. It's compact, simple and completely out of the way. I think of the 2nd to last picture in that flickr album when I say that.

I'll be writing a post detailing how I did the hydroboost on my car in the next day or two. I plan on driving the car with no power steering or hydroboost for first drive. If it's tolerable, I'll leave it that way...

Nate - I remember seeing your bellcrank linkages but didn't notice (or internalize) the fact that you used hydroboost on the E30. I'll pick your brain more on that soon. In my project I have room for the MC on the firewall, and I think I have room for hydroboost there as well. I haven't seen any 3-valve 4.6 into 240 swaps other than mine but I know of several people here who've used hydroboost and had clearance for it with 2-valve and 4-valve 4.6 engines. How's the Smurf?

Cheers! Happy to assist.

Lots of planning but not much physical progress so far with the Smurf. The associated pile-o'-parts is growing: Parts Car, Engine, Wheels, EFI, Brakes, Tranny, and Clutch are all there heckling me regularly! The time is nigh.

Another amazing build shaping up. I am especially interested in the E36 strut swap. i NOTICED There is a D24 on craigslist in the LA area (I'm in San Diego).

Minor job in the past few weeks, but it's something. Battery tray carefully cut out using a spot weld cutter and angle grinder. Was able to clean up the inner fender very well, and there aren't any holes in it which is great. Just needs some surface prep, priming, and eventual paint. I'll likely do the spot painting at the same time I spray after rust repair on the windshield frame and rear window frames.

I've been distracted with this little guy lately. 1967 Opel Kadett Kiemencoupe. Been sitting for a decade or so but it runs. It's like a scaled-down Chevelle or Chevy II meets an early fastback Barracuda. I had the bad thought of taking the B20 from the green 245 and swapping it into this Opel, but am holding off on that until I've explored all other options with the teeny tiny little 1.1L pushrod four it came with.

Be a shame to remove that little Opel lump. Not many of those around anymore.
If you could find a 1.9L from an Opel GT, it might drop right in?
Steve

The B20 is better on paper in every way except for weight and physical size. At first I was convinced it would be an easy conversion, but after taking some measurements it revealed itself to be more of a pain.

Current plan is to hop up the 1.1L a bit. My Lemons teammate has been doing just that to another '67 Kadett 1.1L, with hilarious results. He found that Honda B16 valves make a nice upgrade; slightly larger heads but much skinnier stems. He ported the head and had valve seats and guides installed for the Honda valves. Then adapted a pair of Ducati carbs to it with a homemade manifold and airbox. It makes probably 75bhp (flywheel) now - up from 54bhp stock in 1967.

The head work is probably in the cards for this one but "induction" will be of a different variety.

Induction, forced induction?

Indeed - it would be rude not to. I've had this little GT12 on my desk as a decoration for years now. Just so happens it would work quite nicely up to ~100hp on an ancient 1.1L 8-valve engine revving to ~6krpm...

That's going to be awesome!

I hope it doesn't end in a shower of shattered cast iron, but yeah! This little guy was built for gas stand testing so the internal wastegate valve features were never machined and the port was welded shut. I'll have to find a small external wastegate and hope I can control it well enough. TiAL 38mm might do the job pretty well.

a minor excursion down memory lane...

TyTeS4Hh.jpg

Reverse engineering the 240 engine bay using a Faro arm (Alex's). We took points all over the engine bay and got all of the bolt holes, mounting surfaces, pierce points for the steering, etc. Concentrated more points on the right inner fender to build a surface model there using the grid of tape. It turned out pretty slick and I'm using the bay model to help with my engine mounts and general packaging strategy.
May I rewind for a moment? Just catching up; I know plans have changed since way back when, but... Scanning the engine bay is killer! My hat's off to ya. Gosh, if I had that capability at my disposal? :)

Well, maybe it's better that I don't. I already document more than I need to. Haven't yet moved into a dwelling without building a scale drawing first -- in the old days it was engineering graph paper and little pieces of construction paper cut out for various furniture pieces, now it's multiple layers in Photoshop. Sure, there are more appropriate tools, but it's easier to use what ya know. And come to think of it, I mapped kitchen roof contours with a water level when trying to decide how bad the wood damage was. And the back of a 240 wagon to predict how many guitars and duffle bags I could pick up on an airport run. So, yes, I'd probably measure just about everything.

Here in my family we've been referring to this 245 as "Fred's car." My 5-year-old was out exploring in the garage a few months ago and got spooked by something and told my wife there was a monster in the blue car. Instead of telling her monsters don't exist, Michele's response was "Oh, that's just Fred...he's a friendly monster." So now the kid looks forward to going out and sitting in the car to visit with Fred. Apparently he's big and shaggy but I've never seen him since he is pretty shy. Here's a little cupcake or birthday cake she made for Fred. It stays in the car for him.
YvKpbs1h.jpg
Awesome pic. I love that you're training them so young. :) The burning question, though: has Fred moved to the green car?

OK, now back to your regularly scheduled program...

I've been distracted with this little guy lately. 1967 Opel Kadett Kiemencoupe. Been sitting for a decade or so but it runs. It's like a scaled-down Chevelle or Chevy II meets an early fastback Barracuda. I had the bad thought of taking the B20 from the green 245 and swapping it into this Opel, but am holding off on that until I've explored all other options with the teeny tiny little 1.1L pushrod four it came with.

If you just give it to me you wont have to worry about it anymore.

Back