• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Possible 1995 850 T-5R Project

erkq

I've got a T-5R that's been off the road for a few years and has lots of problems. I'm wondering if it's worth turning into a restoration project or if should just turn it into a car charity. Everything this old has a story, so read on and look at the pictures if interested:

It was totalled in a rear-end collision. I bought it back for salvage and it still drove great, all closures were wind and rain-proof and no lights or glass were broken. But the repair bill was about $13k because the bumper needed about $2k to fix and little creases in the unibody were $11k more.

The problem that's keeping it off the road is failing the fuel tank pressure test for smog. I put new oxygen sensors and that got the check engine light to go off.

The problems are:

1. Salvage title.
2. Minor body damage. But expensive to repair.
3. Fails evap recovery smog test.
4: It shows intermittent ABS/Traxs light.
5. Driver's seat is wearing out.
6. The odo broke at 168k and the engine computer shows almost 200k miles.
7. It smokes a little.
8. It should have new tires.
9. The headliner is falling over the right rear seat (see pics).
10. The air cond doesn't work. Probably just needs a charge.
11. Paint is tired.

The good is:

1. Starts right up. Engine sounds good. Good power.
2. Trans works great.
3. All the electrical accessories work... memory power seats, windows, locks, mirrors, radio, etc.
4. All seats are in great shape except for the driver's.
5. Still has original Titan wheels.
6. Sunroof still works.

So... these are as rare as hen's teeth. I've been looking on the Internet for months and can't find one for sale in the whole of the US! With less than 1,000 imported 22 years ago it's no wonder. I do find them in Europe for north of $20k for a good example, though. There's no mention of them on this forum at all.

Darn... unable to post pics! I'll try a hosting site.

What should I do with it?

Thank you!

You can find builda-ble cars in 1k-3k range. I would part it out and buy something worth fixing. Keep any good parts like the interior if you plan on buying another.

You can find builda-ble cars in 1k-3k range. I would part it out and buy something worth fixing. Keep any good parts like the interior if you plan on buying another.

So... I'm hearing that you don't think this is a "buildable" car. That's what I'm thinking too. Thanks for confirming. Just hard to part-out something that will lay scratch up my 700ft driveway. :) But... reality...

While I do believe it is what you call a 'modern classic', the people who tend like these car won't pay for a car with a 'salvage' title. On some older Volvos, salvage title doesn't mean much if the cars have been properly fixed and are built well. If you dump a bunch of money into the current car, you won't ever get that money back if you try to sell it. If that reasoning isn't relevant to you, then by all means fix the car over a period of time.

Back