• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Koni race 8610

DaveD

I blew my second set of koni 8610 fronts drifting this weekend. Our track is definitely bumpy, but no major impacts or bottoming out, going off track etc. 450lb springs. Is this normal? Don?t even have a full season on these. Is there any better options at this point without completely redoing my front coilover setup?

I'm guessing you have something wrong with your setup. I have had them survive bent control arms and wheels.

So what could be wrong, setting too soft so maybe it is bottoming out and I don’t realize? Thinking about going to 550# front springs to keep the front a little flatter anyways, would the stiffer rate reduce the work the strut is doing? I have extended arms, kaplhenke camber plates, kaplhenke qsrc 450lb springs currently

38b4a4105754235.5f7ff204c7e6a.jpg

You can see here body roll onto leading wheel

My guess is you are binding the suspension which is wearing out the strut.

It could be your lower control arms, if they aren't designed correctly. they could definitely **** up your struts.

I mean it self steers lock to lock flawlessly drifting, no bump steer, don’t see how anything could be binding. I also know the struts are not at any crazy angles.

Is the nut and strut top binding in the upper spherical at all? I had to make some spacers to place the top strut nut above the top of the strut mount due to the caster that I'm running on my drift 244.

Also, why such high rates? I drift at some rough tracks and I'm running 250 lb/in springs (bilstein HDs) with a v8 in the front. You also might try raise your car up a smidge... you'll get more grip. My car is probably over an inch higher.

Also, why such high rates? I drift at some rough tracks and I'm running 250 lb/in springs (bilstein HDs) with a v8 in the front. You also might try raise your car up a smidge... you'll get more grip. My car is probably over an inch higher.
Why such soft rates!? :rofl:

That's like a factory spring rate if they made a modern 240. As long as you have the travel to keep from bottoming out and don't need/want any more roll stiffness, it's fine!

If you do some searching on the koni's you'll find they kind of suck .. That's why most chose for bilsteins.

Depends man. Quite a few have gone the other way as well, due to ride issues. Personally, had solid luck with the Koni's but not on springs that stiff. 200k on the R, 80k up front on my wagon before one developed a leak, warrantied it out, rear's are over 100k...

Just double checked everything, no binding anywhere(I have kaplhenke strut tops and Torrington bearings under the springs), strut is at a good angle, control arms and tie rods are parallel...just gonna write it off as a blown seal from bumpy track for now....passenger side is actually not blown just driver side

I’ve had a few racing buddies have Koni strut/shock failures with very little use on them, but who knows their specifics.
No way would a modern 240 need more than 200#.
Haha, yes I’m sure, but 250lb springs are also pretty soft is all I was getting at. :) Good for a street car or something that can absorb a lot as long as the travel is there.

Back