• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Sealed U joint part numbers

shoestring

OK, so I put a pair of GKN U110 u joints in my 240 because I had to. The ones in there were a little loose. Problem for me is, they're the greasable style, and I hate that. I've always been a dealership parts consultant, and no manufacturer I've ever worked for uses a greasable joint. It looks like the factory 3520997 joint is the sealed design, but they're a little dear, and if I can get the same joint or equivalent for less, I'd rather do that. Yes, I would take out these joints that I just put in. I know it seems daft but greasing u joints isn't something I want to do. Also, they're not as good. My question is if any of you guys have replaced the joints in your prop shafts with a sealed type joint that wasn't from Volvo and if you would share the part number with me.

Thanks in advance. Not to be curt, but I'm not interested in trying to be convinced that a greasable joint is superior. If they were, manufacturers would use them, because they cut costs wherever they can.

https://www.landroverexpedition.com/articles/universal-joint-differences/

I got the cheap GKN ones you have too, with grease nipple. Agreed that that is a poor solution. Cannot comment on their quality since I have not run them yet.

The link shows the HD version too. Could not find them at the time so went with the cheaper ones.

Maybe this helps with sourcing the better ones! I forgot the exact dimensions but I remember the LR U-joints have the same dimensions.

Of the 3 U joints on my V8 Wagon, One was replaced @ 250K miles,the other 2 are still fine,@325K [32 years later] miles now. P.S. they all have grease fittings that I check and grease at least once a year.

Neapco solid are the only ones I use in the race cars now. Much better longevity than Spicer joints.
I believe the earlier 240s were just 1310 u-joints.

Have you tried contacting a driveshaft shop, and seeing what they can get?

I just had a two piece from a '90 240 cut down and refurbed and they said there were no non-greasable u-joints available. Pretty sure you're right about the early ones having 1310's but I'm not sure on the years offered. Anyone?

Have you tried contacting a driveshaft shop, and seeing what they can get?

I haven't as yet. I'm normally hesitant to take up people's professional time gathering information unless I'm ready to pull the trigger immediately. Probably stems from the fact that I'm a commissioned employee. That, and in the Age of Information, I should be able to find this stuff out relatively simply.

Thanks for the push. I'll let you know what I find.

The pictures of the u joint on the VP autoparts web site shows some ujoints without lubricator. Depends what size you want.

Edit:The part number of the rear ujoint on my 93 wagon with M47 is 1209814. Mostly I see the Meyle one for sale which is a grease able ujoint.

Edit2:OK that number is super seded by 383472. I found a non grease able one on this web page. https://www.volvo340onderdelen.nl/en/volvo-200-700-serie-crucible-coupling-drive-shaft.html

Last edited:
I just had a two piece from a '90 240 cut down and refurbed and they said there were no non-greasable u-joints available. Pretty sure you're right about the early ones having 1310's but I'm not sure on the years offered. Anyone?

They are 1300, the link I provided to Rock auto above has a non greaseable joint listed under economy even though the pic shows a grease fitting.

Little update here, I got 2 joints from my local Volvo store PN 3520997, and they are a proper sealed unit. They are also still GKNs, which makes me wonder why I can't find them in the aftermarket. Perhaps there's a proprietary contract with the OEs? I know Land Rover uses them also...

Also, I've not heard back from any prop shaft shops, but since it's the week between two major holidays I'm not too surprised.

Back