• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

To lock, or to limit the slip?

Probably good for hooining around. Selectable full locking. Heh, I did a 5 minute mod on my Toyota's factory rear e-locker so I can use it in 2HI. That's entertaining on rainy slick roads.

So I hear people talking about wearing out the truetrac on long sweeping turns (on a race track pushing a lot of torque I assume) Is this a real concern? Given that my plans are to build a hot na motor which won't be putting out a ton of torque, will the truetrac be reliable enough to last 5+ years of daily driving and hootin?

I realize you folks are chatting about LSDs but since this thread has been relatively inactivate then I think it is okay for me to bring up the Yukon Grizzly locker.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/yga-28000/make/volvo/model/245/year/1987

Do any of you think this locker would work and it was be easy to install? I have done a good deal of research but I just can't figure out and understand the differential specs of a Volvo 240.

Ran a cheap Spartan Locker in the rally car. Huge upgrade over a welded axle if you like easy turn-in, and the axle snapping stopped which was a huge plus.

The Aussie Locker and Spartan Locker easy install, as you don't have to mess with re-shimming the diff.

Yes they're a little noisy when in a parking lot, but not too bad.

Also, there's this cheap boy for a helical diff: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwt-gt443027

Spartan is so rough in tight corners that many(myself included when I tried one) have moved on to Truetrac or other solutions. Also it creates a lot of play on to the driveshaft movement, really nice clunks when going on/off power. With an automatic it's not that bad because of the nature of the transmission.

Years ago I had two different, similar type, lockers and they behaved much better.

Any comments on a quaife differential?

I stock the Quaife diffs and they are a very nice piece of kit. I like them as they do have a full parts warranty. They are manufactured here in the UK with a high level of quality control. Good enough to be OEM fitment Ford, GM, BMW etc. Yes you can buy other Torsen diffs made in China, Taiwan, India etc for less and it can be hard to justify the extra cost.

The real thing is choosing the right diff for you

Road car and you do not want to get stuck on lanes when passing cars on the grass, want grip on gravel etc then the G80 is the boy for you. They are perfect for low speed traction

Road car with some track day work etc then a Torsen type like Quaife are the way to go

Pure event car then a plate diff like Gripper is the choice to make

The Aussie Locker and Spartan Locker easy install, as you don't have to mess with re-shimming the diff.

I live on a long dirt road in a commune and it is the commune folk that actually plow the road. I appreciate their work. They do us all a favor. Not knocking them at all but it wouldn't break my heart to have a town plow truck clean the road up after a snow storm. Last week a guy in his Tacoma avoided a xc skier in the road and ended up down the hill and into my yard.

Although my 240 has the suspension tuned to a pretty good degree for aggressive driving on pavement I've got that Aussie locker stuck in the back of my head. Inexpensive and easy to install. I've never broken apart a diff before. I'm curious to try. Would the installation of an Aussie locker affect my driving big time on dry roads? If I came into corners fast but kept the throttle steady the whole way through then would I be alright? Or would I be increasing the likelihood of flying off the road? I have no interest in the auto-x stuff. Just long fast sweeping turns. Thanks for reading this long post and all comments are appreciated.

FYI, I'm thinking about the locker to help me pass through the snow covered and hilly roads on the commune.

Thanks!

Edit: This is making me think the heck with it https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-road/daily-driver-lockers/81337/page1/

Last edited:
Although my 240 has the suspension tuned to a pretty good degree for aggressive driving on pavement I've got that Aussie locker stuck in the back of my head. Inexpensive and easy to install. I've never broken apart a diff before. I'm curious to try. Would the installation of an Aussie locker affect my driving big time on dry roads? If I came into corners fast but kept the throttle steady the whole way through then would I be alright? Or would I be increasing the likelihood of flying off the road? I have no interest in the auto-x stuff. Just long fast sweeping turns. Thanks for reading this long post and all comments are appreciated.

FYI, I'm thinking about the locker to help me pass through the snow covered and hilly roads on the commune.

Thanks!

Edit: This is making me think the heck with it https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-road/daily-driver-lockers/81337/page1/

I think they drive fine, they are not going to be as neutral as a open diff or a proper LSD.
They do make some clicking noise, but it's not that bad IMO. I'm used to loud race cars, so take that for what it's worth.
They are incredibly easy to install. You will have to pull the center carrier and the ring gear off. If you have an impact wrench, a torque wrench, and some red loctite... you can do this.

If you're at all worried about traction and live in out in the woods, a lunchbox locker is a great solution.
Here's a video of one installed in the rear of a truck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi7ze7149HE

I'm running a powertrax lockright. Works really nice in the snow and whatnot. Clunks in tight turns, can start bucking/stay locked if I'm turning really tight without accelerating or decelerating. Pushing the clutch halfway also makes it not do this.

I don't love it but it beats an open diff, basically.

I think they drive fine, they are not going to be as neutral as a open diff or a proper LSD.
They do make some clicking noise, but it's not that bad IMO. I'm used to loud race cars, so take that for what it's worth.
They are incredibly easy to install. You will have to pull the center carrier and the ring gear off. If you have an impact wrench, a torque wrench, and some red loctite... you can do this.

If you're at all worried about traction and live in out in the woods, a lunchbox locker is a great solution.
Here's a video of one installed in the rear of a truck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi7ze7149HE

Right on. Thanks very much and I'll put in an order for that Aussie locker very soon.

Thanks everybody!

Do those clunk at all? I know you can weld em to make them work always.

They're mostly silent, but they are not that strong. As the clutch packs wear, they tend to get stuck on. They also take some time to engage, so there's a pretty big shock load when they engage. There's a specific long sweeping corner at Oregon Raceway Park where the g80 would engage just after mid-corner. Insta 80mph drift!

I wore mine out in about a year of fun driving.

Oh I forgot to ask if an electric impact wrench is strong enough to work. I haven't stepped up to a pneumatic one yet. Thanks

They're mostly silent, but they are not that strong. As the clutch packs wear, they tend to get stuck on. They also take some time to engage, so there's a pretty big shock load when they engage. There's a specific long sweeping corner at Oregon Raceway Park where the g80 would engage just after mid-corner. Insta 80mph drift!

I wore mine out in about a year of fun driving.

Ah yeah, doesn't sound great. Mine might lock when I don't want it to sometimes, but it's always locked whenever I want it to be.

It will be very difficult to get to a situation when you are going fast and hard enough on public roads that you will surpass the abilities of the wavetrac. As long as you don't have major setup issues it shouldn't be a problem from my experience.

give me a shout when they stock in, in case you forget to update the site :-P

Oh I forgot to ask if an electric impact wrench is strong enough to work. I haven't stepped up to a pneumatic one yet. Thanks

Yes. Most plug-in electrics are burly. Battery, YMMV. My snap-on 1/2" is a beast, even my ryobi 3/8 is not bad. My very old IR pneumatic is much weaker than the fresh one. I have not compared my old black and decker to the rest.

Back