• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

83 242 V8 LQ4 swap

IMG_0973.jpg

Those welds are impressive. The car looks great!

yo man, after you get it running you should roll up to sac and check out the swaps my buddies have done....carb'd lq4 in a 64 skylark and an over the top 71 240z

I love how you made the crossmember, with those two clearances for the exhaust. Tucks up so cleanly.

This project is too f'cking cool, man!

No offense man, but why are you going with MS? Hp tuners would seem much more appropriate and I think you would have an easier time getting it running perfectly.
I am doing an LQ4 swap into my supra and the HP tuners route is the one I am taking, you can even use a truck ECU and tune it like a standalone. Before the swap I ran an AEM EMS but with the stock option being just as good I opted for it.

Coils are off a ford explorer, same coils all the edis stuff uses. Just used them because I am familiar with them and there is at least 50 of them at every pick n pull. Plus I scored a set of new motorcraft plug wires for 5 bucks on ebay!

No offense man, but why are you going with MS? Hp tuners would seem much more appropriate and I think you would have an easier time getting it running perfectly.
I am doing an LQ4 swap into my supra and the HP tuners route is the one I am taking, you can even use a truck ECU and tune it like a standalone. Before the swap I ran an AEM EMS but with the stock option being just as good I opted for it.

HPTuners has a much steeper learning curve than MS, doesn't have any aux IO, can't be tuned on the fly without stopping to shut off the car, the custom OS's are less than satisfactory, and you're stuck with stock sensors.

Anyone who has knowledge in MS would be a fool to use HPTuners instead.

HPTuners has a much steeper learning curve than MS, doesn't have any aux IO, can't be tuned on the fly without stopping to shut off the car, the custom OS's are less than satisfactory, and you're stuck with stock sensors.

Pretty much summed it up, also would have killed my budget.

wow. all i can say, is wow. if i could take my car off the road, and acquire the parts you have, this would be my ideal project....V8, turbo 400 trans....wow.

<3

I think plugging in a factory ecu is about the flattest learning curve on the planet. For the stock sensors, great! most of the guys running aftermarket EMS run GM sensors anyway. There are hundreds of thousands of people that rely upon the GM EMS system everyday. I for one don't like monkeying with anything once I get it together and tuned after the first time. I have never met someone running a MS system that was not constantly messing with settings and that was as reliable as a factory tune.

I think plugging in a factory ecu is about the flattest learning curve on the planet. For the stock sensors, great! most of the guys running aftermarket EMS run GM sensors anyway. There are hundreds of thousands of people that rely upon the GM EMS system everyday. I for one don't like monkeying with anything once I get it together and tuned after the first time. I have never met someone running a MS system that was not constantly messing with settings and that was as reliable as a factory tune.

Why do fuel injection at all? Put a carb on it and live with mediocrity? More people rely on carbs than HP tuners .

I think plugging in a factory ecu is about the flattest learning curve on the planet.

Oh, so that must be why 95% of my customers who try to tune HPTuners on their own throw in the towel and bring their car to me to get un****ed. Come talk to me when you've learned how to tune an E38 PCM on 82lb injectors, then tell me how flat the learning curve is.

Oh, so that must be why 95% of my customers who try to tune HPTuners on their own throw in the towel and bring their car to me to get un****ed. Come talk to me when you've learned how to tune an E38 PCM on 82lb injectors, then tell me how flat the learning curve is.

I honestly don't think I would personally have an issue with doing so. I have a fairly decent background in tuning. My last setup in my car used 152lb injectors.

I have a fairly decent background in tuning

Then why are you so adamant on holding the OP back from his choice in EMS that you clearly have no experience with, while trying to persuade him to use another ecu you know nothing about?

Last edited:
Why do fuel injection at all? Put a carb on it and live with mediocrity? More people rely on carbs than HP tuners .

Carb for LS setup adds up quite a bit even with used parts. MS and EFI is probably still cheaper.

I'm too stoopid for MS, so I'm using an HPtuners setup on my swap. I won't even try to eff with it. Straight to dyno and a tuner that knows what he is doing.

Back