• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Need opinions on wheels

Miss Monika

Corruptor of Youth
So I now own the set of 15x6 wheels in the back of this wagon, but I'm also talking to a guy about a set of 17x8 wheels (in the inset).
I'm trying to figure out if I want to spend $350 for 17x8s or would they just look too big on a 245?

wheels.jpg

Tethys!

Drool emoji here

350 plus spacers
Good point. Adapters are gonna run me another $200-300. (IPD @ $100/pr or BNE @$150/pr)

Those wheels are for sale on FB Marketplace in Federal Way, WA. Set of 4. New In Box. Have at it TBrickers!

Sometimes it takes a voice of reason to talk me out of biting off too much at once with this car.
Yes, new Tethys would be HOT. But my car is a long ways from being ready for that much bling!

Last edited:
The wheels in the back of the wagon look good. I’m running a set of those on mine. Not sure the name of them but I haven’t seen them on another wagon, at least not around here

I like Tethys, but I feel that $350 is a bit expensive for them. Maybe worth it as they're NIB, but around here they're only around $200 CAD for a set, I spent $250 and got 3 good tires as well.

15's are cheap and easy to get used tires for, so I would run those until I found a decent 16 or 17" wheel.

Agree with Johnmc, 17’s look pretty correct. I run a 235/40/17 and it still turns to the steering lock without rub in the front. The road feel is nicer too.

I bought a set of four 17" Uglies for $200.
Got them powder coated uglier for $0 (exchanged operator training for coating)
Run a set of 25mm spacers that have been kicking around the shop.. not sure how much I paid.
Wrapped in 225/45/17 tires - powder guys hooked me up at their cost - $300ish IIRC... tire markup is dumb.

Very happy with the look. Also feels like the shorter sidewall helps in the corners..

I've got volans on my 245, was worried about the breaks looking tiny but it's not as bad as I thought

Uuugghhh... you guyyyssssss.....:roll::lol:

I did already tell the guy I was gonna pass on them.
But yeah, point made. Tethys look good and fit on a 240!

16" Geminis (summer)
700 or 1975 164 steels (Winter)

&/or

Early 240 super super thick stamped 14" steels/185R14 tires nearly touching the front spring perch for post apocalyptic/soviet cuba-esque car-eating potholes soon to be with no tax base for 2-10 year depression w/old school late 40s-early 1960s steel-wheel straightening machine in back room & pile of spare A-arms & spindles? :lol:
Hardly see the brakes through those wheels anyway/vented calipers jammed right against the openings (if equipped).

Maybe we'll be cutting early wheel stands apart in the junkyard for re-use before this game's out (still a good few 140/early 240 wheels welded together to make JY wheel stands here)?

Plastique 89+ wheel covers if late model '86+ car, chrome/minimalist wheel trim if -'85?
The -'79 chrome over stainless dog dishes might be somewhat thin & oil can/dent, but at least they stay on/aren't flying saucers!

Last edited:
16" Geminis (summer)
700 or 1975 164 steels (Winter)

&/or

Early 240 super super thick stamped 14" steels/185R14 tires nearly touching the front spring perch for post apocalyptic/soviet cuba-esque car-eating potholes soon to be with no tax base for 2-10 year depression w/old school late 40s-early 1960s steel-wheel straightening machine in back room & pile of spare A-arms & spindles? :lol:
Hardly see the brakes through those wheels anyway/vented calipers jammed right against the openings (if equipped).

Maybe we'll be cutting early wheel stands apart in the junkyard for re-use before this game's out (still a good few 140/early 240 wheels welded together to make JY wheel stands here)?

Plastique 89+ wheel covers if late model '86+ car, chrome/minimalist wheel trim if -'85?
The -'79 chrome over stainless dog dishes might be somewhat thin & oil can/dent, but at least they stay on/aren't flying saucers!

So should I throw my early 240 steel wheels in the ocean or not?

Back