• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

84 245 FI Idle Adjustment??

Terry1941

Any one now how to adjust the idle on a 1984 245 GL Fuel Injected model? Warm and in park it idles at about 1,200 RPM. Seems a bit high. It currently idles smooth, with and occasional hick-up.

If engine was OK for a time period, and now has increased idle RPM...then there is a vacuum leak causing it....OR....throttle plate not always closing..

The Idle has been the same since I purchased it about 2 months ago so I don't know what it should be? Just from other cars it seems to be idling high. What Idle speed should it be?

Idle speed in gear should be 750 rpm. With AC switch completely turned off. If AC switch is even slightly turned to the right of the "0", the idle will be elevated to around 900 rpm in gear and 1000ish in park. There is a microswitch that tells the computer to adjust the idle, depending on if the AC is on or off. Sometimes, the little metal flapper that operates the switch gets bent and will not make contact, causing the engine to run at the faster idle speed, even when the AC is turned off all the way. If the AC is dead, and that is occuring, you can disconnect the wires to the switch, or pull the AC relay (located behind the fan switch area of the control panel, clipped to one of the supports), which will cause the idle to go back down.

The AC does not work and again I don't know how long this might have been the case. Where is the switch you mentioned located, in the engine compartment or behind the control panel?

Switch is on the left side of the AC rheostat switch. Easiest way to check to see if it's the problem is to tilt the console out after verifying that the rheostat knob is turned all the way over to the left, so it's off, then start the car up, let it run for more than 10 seconds at idle, then when you hear the relay click, unplug the two wires going to that microswitch. If the idle drops, then there's the problem.

Back