• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Toyota axle education

gofaster_940

As there are lots of Toyota pick ups and panel vans (HiLuxs, Hiaces and Landcruisers) over here I'm going to keep an eye out for an axle to fit to my 940, what model axle do I need and what exactly is involved in the swap, in particular the installation of the Volvo disc braking and hand brake set up.

There are 2 widths of rear axles commonly found in 4x4 Toyota pickups/hilux. IFS Hilux will be about 2in wider than the solid axle Hilux. I'm not sure of the track width on the 9xx so you'll have to do some research (I think the Toyota rear ends are 57/59in wide)
Axles need to be removed, have the flanges turned down, and the Volvo bolt pattern added (if that's what you're going for.
All suspension tabs/ears/brackets will need to be fabricated and welded on (or cut from the Volvo axle). You can make rear brake mounts.
You might be able to get the stock parking brake to work, but that will be a lot more work to get right.

Iirc the 7/9 series tq arms are cast into the diff housing, so brackets would need fabbed there, and they use a floating type rubber bushing that is clam shelled on the lca's. I looked into reproducing that and found just linking the rear with coil overs was easier in my application

You could do like the 8.8 mhmount did, just cut the volvo tube off and weld it to the Toyota 8 inch, you'll be needing axles anyways since the 6 lug won't repattern and the 5 lug is wrong. Thats dependent on what you want for a pattern. Commonly all 5 lug stuff is a 28 spline axle, not much stronger than the 27 you have, and 6 lug 4x stuff is all 30 spline

Iirc, the 2wd 1 ton trucks have 5 lug and 30 spline diffs

Thinking of that, isn't the 2wd stuff a smaller ring gear?

Get with an axle supplier in your area to make sure they can make what your going to need

Edit, we had a member rock a 600whp auto 2j through a 1041 with a trutrack installed, just the guts, for like 3 years with zero issues

Back