• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Sorry but I have to ask wheels offsets

fastcomet

First I have searched it just confused me more. I ask for forgiveness before I ask and people get mad. Heres my car info 93 volvo 240 chassis is all stock and in good shape. Running stock multiX wheels at the moment. I want to run 15 or 16x8 wheels. The ones Im looking at are 0ET. I know in the back I will have to do some modifying on wheel well. Which I can handle but dont want to cut outer body. I will have to run wheel adapters and have the eccentric part all figured out. will these work? What width of wheel spacers would I need. Advice greatly appreciated. But unsure on the spacing? Here is link to my first choice of wheels.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-New-15-Vors-TR7-Wheels-15x8-4x100-4x114-3-0-Gun-Metal-Rims/254492135531

second choice
https://www.ebay.com/itm/16x8-Gunme...JNC010-4x100-4x114-3-25-Set-of-4/193235970760

Third choice
https://www.ebay.com/itm/15x8-Gold-Machine-Lip-Wheels-JNC-021-JNC021-4x100-20-Set-of-4/193345665257?

Heh, I didn't look at them. Search 5x108 if you want the Volvo bolt pattern. There are so many wheel threads here it is ridiculous, learn what the numbers mean and figure it out. The site I posted above should be able to answer pretty much everything.

Ok, Yes Ive figure out that 0ET is center of the wheel. I know they are 4x100 but can get them in 5x114.3. Which will take wheel adapters. I understand and got the eccentric part figured out. I just wanted ask people with alot of experience is all. Yeh, Ill go figure it our. This is my first car and Ive never bought aftermarket wheels before, I want to fix my volvo up. Anyways thanks for the link.

Ok, Yes Ive figure out that 0ET is center of the wheel. I know they are 4x100 but can get them in 5x114.3. Which will take wheel adapters. I understand and got the eccentric part figured out. I just wanted ask people with alot of experience is all. Yeh, Ill go figure it our. This is my first car and Ive never bought aftermarket wheels before, I want to fix my volvo up. Anyways thanks for the link.

0et is the max you want to end up with, definitely not a good starting point.

That said why in the world would you want to take off nice OG German wheels and put on cheap chinesium junk that don't fit?

What Ken meant to type instead of being a curmudgeon without telling you of wider o.e. options:
If you start with a wheel that is 6? wide, and add 2 inches width, but want to keep the back of the rim close to the same distance from the strut or trailing arm, remove 25mm from the offset. 0et is close. If you only increase 2? (25.4mm), reduce the offset by 12-13mm.
To run spacer adapters, do the math, but add the spacer thickness that matches the added offset of a fwd wheel.
If you sketch it on paper you can measure backspacing, etc with a rule and work it all out.

The first set will not work well on your car. They are zero offset, and you'll need wheel adpaters, so if the adapters are 20mm, then it's like you're bolting on wheels with negative (-20)mm offset. That's no good.

The 2nd and 3rd sets with 25mm and 20mm offset respectively can work with adapters. When you add the spacer (aka wheel adapter), the offset is effectively in the 0-5mm range, which can work with an 8" wide wheel on a 240.

What size tire did you have in mind?

This is my 240 w/16x8, 0mm offset, and 205/50/16 tires.

128860779.jpg

128860781.jpg

The back is especially problematic just above the mudflap. If I used taller (205/55/16) or wider (225) tires, I'd have to do some serious fender lip hammering.

Here's the same car with 245/45/16 mounted on 16x8 20mm offset (these GM wheels had 56mm? offset, and I was using wheel adapters that were about 35mm thick).

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpost.php?p=3054941&postcount=1

Ideally you want an 8" wheel to have about 15mm offset to fit the rear and not rub the inside and still be within the fender lip on the outside. Up front, I'd aim for 20mm offset, but 15mm works. Zero offset on the front will scrub a bit more, maybe you'll notice it, maybe you won't.

The first set will not work well on your car. They are zero offset, and you'll need wheel adpaters, so if the adapters are 20mm, then it's like you're bolting on wheels with negative (-20)mm offset. That's no good.

The 2nd and 3rd sets with 25mm and 20mm offset respectively can work with adapters. When you add the spacer (aka wheel adapter), the offset is effectively in the 0-5mm range, which can work with an 8" wide wheel on a 240.

What size tire did you have in mind?

This is my 240 w/16x8, 0mm offset, and 205/50/16 tires.

128860779.jpg

128860781.jpg

The back is especially problematic just above the mudflap. If I used taller (205/55/16) or wider (225) tires, I'd have to do some serious fender lip hammering.

Here's the same car with 245/45/16 mounted on 16x8 20mm offset (these GM wheels had 56mm? offset, and I was using wheel adapters that were about 35mm thick).

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpost.php?p=3054941&postcount=1

Ideally you want an 8" wheel to have about 15mm offset to fit the rear and not rub the inside and still be within the fender lip on the outside. Up front, I'd aim for 20mm offset, but 15mm works. Zero offset on the front will scrub a bit more, maybe you'll notice it, maybe you won't.

Thanks man, thats nice looking ride. Thanks for extra info about tires. That gives me some guidance. I will post pics as soon as I get something roliing.

Back