• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo 240 rear end swap, 1030 vs 1031

zze86

Hello all. I am trying to resurrect a 1985 Toyota Corolla RWD (aka AE86) and am looking at swapping the rear end with something more robust and came across the 1979-1991 (?) Volvo 240 rear end as possible candidates. I believe I've done enough searching to be somewhat informed but there is so much confusion in all the threads I've read that I was hoping for some clarification.

Chassis: 1985 Toyota Corolla RWD (aka AE86).
Engine: Toyota 3SGE "Beams" 2.0L engine from a 1998-2005 Toyota Altezza and will left stock, possibly with ITBs (because ITBs). 207hp@ 7600rpm and 160 ft lbs @ 4800rpms.
Transmission: Toyota J160/Aisin AZ6 mated to the 3SGE from the Altezza.

Things I would like to clarify:

1) The AE86 axle width, from hub surface to the other is 1410mm. The 1030/1031 axle width is 1400mm (correct?).
2) The 1030 is available from ~MY1979 through ~MY1985
3) The 1030 is essentially a Dana30 and all parts for a Dana30 will transfer over (correct? I understand there are "reverse" rotation Dana30s and offset pumpkins but I am not talking about those obviously)
4) The 1031 is available from ~MY1985 onwards
5) The 1031 is Volvo specific and there are proprietary parts like bearings (correct?)
6) In either case, there appears to be a split amongst the available ring and pinion gears depending on which ring and pinion you start out with. This split appears to be at 3.73. Anything below, you can only go lower. At 3.73 and above, you can use anything higher.
7) The 1031 is stronger than the 1030 due to larger RP

Given the modest power, low torque goals and the higher revving nature of this engine I am looking at the 1030.

I will be looking to install a limited slip differential of sort. Ideally, a clutch based one but a Torsen/Helical type one will suffice if I can't find one. The 1030 appears to be the better bet with this in mind since Dana30 parts can transfer over.

I would like to change the bolt pattern to 4x114.3. I know you can get a spacer conversion but would like to avoid that. In the offroading world, a new hub with different bolt pattern is possible for the Dana30. If the 1030 is essentially the Dana30, I should be able to do this as well.

The AE86 stock FD is 4.3. The Altezza stock FD is 4.1/4.3 depending on year. Wheels/tires are VERY different between the two thus I was going to possibly start with 3.9 gearing. I haven't done the math yet. If going with the 1030, an aftermarket 4.1/4.3 would need to be sourced. If going with the 1031, a drop in 4.1 can be sourced from a Volvo 740.

So right now, everything seems to be pointing me at the 1030 rear end. Is my above reasoning sound? Is there any reason why I should consider the 1031 other than it being slightly stronger? Anything else I may be neglecting?

Thank you in advance for your expertise.

Last edited:
That all seems mostly correct.
1030 diff will be fine for what you're asking. Major drawback to the Volvo diff is a good clutch pack LSD with set you back ~$1200.

Another option is the 8" toyota diff from a straight axle 4wd truck, they're 55" flange to flange (just a bit wider than a Volvo 240 diff). You can use the mk3 supra clutch LSD, but they're pretty "meh" even when modified. A Cusco 2-way is ~$900 for the 8" toyota diff.

Thank you for the response and the suggestions!

Who makes a clutch type LSD for the 1030? I can only seem to find torsen type LSDs...

I briefly considered the Toyota truck rear end but it seemed a bit overkill and the added weight was significant. This would impact spring, shock valving and sway bar characteristics later on so I dropped it.

By my research:

AE86 rear end ~110lbs
Volvo rear end ~125lbs
Toyota Truck rear end ~150lbs

Who makes a clutch type LSD for the 1030? I can only seem to find torsen type LSDs...

I briefly considered the Toyota truck rear end but it seemed a bit overkill and the added weight was significant. This would impact spring, shock valving and sway bar characteristics later on so I dropped it.

By my research:

AE86 rear end ~110lbs
Volvo rear end ~125lbs

Wide Toyota rear axle (IFS) but with 4-cly 3rd member weighs ~130lbs without brakes. So the weight can be kept to a reasonable amount if you skip the v6 3rd member.

There was a Volvo clutch LSD from the factory, but they are rare. They're also not the strongest, but that depends what your end-use is. For drifting and rally, I'd get something stronger. Road racing, you might be okay with the factory LSD.

For the Volvo clutch LSD, you have to go to Europe. Sellholm carries one. You can also get one from Gripper.
http://www.sellholmshop.se/transmission-1/diffsparrar-komplett/diffsparr-set-volvo-1031.html

http://www.sellholmshop.se/transmission-1/diffsparrar-komplett/diffsparr-volvo-1030-1031.html

https://gripperlsd.com/product/volvo-all-rwd-models/

You could get a 1030 or 1031 in any year 240, '75-'93.

All live axle Volvo ring and pinions fit the 3.73 and up carrier.

1030 and 1031 use the same carrier so a Dana 30 LSD will fit a 1031.

The Dana 30 bearing kits come with the correct carrier bearings for 1030 and 1031 but the inner pinion bearing/race will only work with a 1030 and the outer is always wrong.

Here's a list I put together with the bearing numbers for both.

http://hiperformanceautoservice.com/images/Volvo%20Diff%20Bearing%20Numbers.pdf

It's around a 10lb weight penalty for a 1031 vs 1030. I had weighed my 1030 on a bathroom scale before we installed it, 122lb. 1031 was ~132lb. This would be with internals (axle shafts, r&p, carrier installed w/cover) but no brake rotors / calipers.

By my research:

AE86 rear end ~110lbs
Volvo rear end ~125lbs

In Finland it is common to use diff from Opel Omega, needs some lathe work but guess that's made by ZF and is clutch type.

Back