• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

92 volvo 245 tie rods

Brick-hi

Hello again.

I hope someone can help again. I'm replacing tie rods ,tie rod ends and ball joints and I can't figure out how to tell if I have zf or cam tie rods. How do you tell? I just got off the phone with IPD and was told they didn't know :omg::rofl:. I know someone here has to know. This can't be that hard. IPD told me the only way was to measure the treads ???.

Thanks for any help.

Edward

ZF tie rods have a rubber disc on them for the rack boot.

fullsize_17859.jpg

CAM tie rods don't.

fullsize_25923.jpg

The obvious first thing is that the ZF racks had large outside bellow connection to the tie rods. The CAM bellows had the rod size connection.

I was on an official Volvo parts website a couple days ago that said the style rack your car has, cam or ZF, is indicated somewhere on a plate stamped to your car. Door frame or fire wall or fender or something like that. I can't recall exactly. FWIW my '87 has a cam style rack.

I was on an official Volvo parts website a couple days ago that said the style rack your car has, cam or ZF, is indicated somewhere on a plate stamped to your car. Door frame or fire wall or fender or something like that. I can't recall exactly. FWIW my '87 has a cam style rack.

There should be a sticker on the side of the lockable storage well in the cargo compartment on a 240 wagon, on the passenger side iirc.

You might also be able to give your VIN to a dealer parts department and they can look it up.

Last edited:
92 Volvo 245 tie rod

Thanks for all the info.................... I think the tie rods may have been replaced with something other than what should be on it. I live close to Ipd so I think I'll just take one off and take it to them and see what they think.

:)

Back