• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

LSD diff for reasonable price

I put one of those in the E39 wagon. Will report back on how terrible it is, once some miles are actually driven.

Im confused where the clutches are?

It uses the backside of the side gears and the diff case (or thrust bushing) as the friction surface.
Not the best idea as wear may be an issue if there's a lot of slipping from a large traction differential.
It also might not be that bad, as it's similar to the way VW 020 transmissions and a the "poor mans quaife" kit work. I had one for many thousands of miles with great results.

This one seems a bit better than Phantom grip because they have a shim between the actual diff and the spider gear.
So the wear should be a bit more spread or how to say?

I was quite happy to find these for our volvo's since the lunchbox diffs are giving people a hard time, locking when power off or unlocking on strange moments.
They seem to be more for offroading than to be a LSD against one tire fire.

So this might actually even work :D :D :oogle:

After a private message from dl242gt I've checked with the seller and they are willing to ship to usa for same conditions as Dutch groupbuy.

So should I also start a groupbuy thread here for these diffs?

Their website states that machining is required for some models. Is the Volvo one of them?

seems scary to me to use the stock gears as the friction faces. I'm running a spartan lunchbox-style locker and it uses a similar locking process, except with the center pin driving two dedicated dog clutches together. (instead of the gears into the carrier.) It is a rough little bugger no doubt, but it leaves two stripes and that is what counts

A stock diff is not worth anything. If you don't like it, take out the unit and pop a new pair of carrier gears on. Otherwise grab another axle for $100 and be on your merry way.

Back