• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

b230f cams

tog244

i have an 87 244 with a b230f. im currently looking for a slightly more aggressive cam in higher revs and preferably one that will work well if i bolt on a turbo from a stock turbo wagon parts car i have access to. i need some suggestions for cams, im not looking to spend loads of money like an enem or vx as suggested in the post about turboing a b230f but he also mentions a "t" cam, is this the cam that came in stock turbo cars or how else could i find a t cam without opening engines and hoping to find one? lastly, how does the ipd non turbo cam hold up against a t cam?

basically im looking for a cam that doesnt make my car miserable at low rpm but gives me some more top end power and i would like to only buy one cam so when i turbo it, will a t or ipd cam work well in turbo and NA?

any guidance is much appreciated

ipd: https://www.ipdusa.com/products/584...erformance-camshaft-for-non-turbos-ipd-114938
turboing b230f: http://www.turbobricks.com/mods.php?content=art0024

how would this work on a non turbo engine? not sure when i plan to turbo and i want my car to be driveable until then
also i believe turbo cars are 2.1 while NA are 2.3, would this make any difference?

Volvo used the "A" cam in both naturally aspirated and turbocharged cars. If you're on a budget, and only want to do this once, maybe try that. It's an improvement over both the N/A "M" and turbo "T" cams, at least from a performance standpoint.

is there any way to find an A cam without just hoping to uncover one when opening an engine? and how does an H cam do in comparison to an A cam?

I have access to 2 turbo wagons for parts, is it worth checking if either has an A cam or would i be better off buying a new cam? both engines have around 175,000 miles on them

Turbo wagons most likely not have the A-cam, but if you can find either K or H cam, they will be even better, but A-cam is a good upgrade however.

AN a-cam has 225/226 duration at 0.050, but k-cam has 240/240 and a h-cam is 244/240.
T-cam has 212/210, so an a-cam is a good upgrade when compared to t-cam.

should i even look at the cams in the parts cars or should i just order the h cam you linked previously? anything i should worry about if i did get a used cam out of a parts car?

In the US it's highly unlikely (read: impossible) to find anything other than a T or M cam in a car. Depending on where you are you may find a car in a junkyard with an IPD cam but I would not hold my breath. The T cam will not improve top end. In most daily driven type cars A or V cams seem to work best all around.

If you have a salvage yard with 80 and older 240s you can get a B cam. They run well in a B230F and are compatible with automatics. Put a listing in the wanted section. There are lots of B and A cams in North America.

A cams can be found in Volvo Penta boat motors. Volvo often shared parts between their car engines and their marine engines. If you are looking for an A or V cam in the US, a boat motor is your best bet unless you ask on the forums here.

Back