• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Bob George's '82 242 Turbo PROJECT

I ordered a set of 35mm hub/wheelcentric adapters for the front from Fred at wheeladapter.com and they arrived today. Great service - they shipped from CA the same day I ordered and arrived in VT within a week!

I'm hoping with a little quarter lip trimming I can put the 32mm adapters back on the rear so my offset is closer front to rear.

35mm_zps402d5a0d.jpeg

Got some Kaplhenke bling for under the hood :-D

702885DC-91B4-4813-9DB2-F8A816B09A58-3973-0000018D3F132CB7_zpsc62c5173.jpg

Along with some adjustable torque rods in aluminum :)

4055F226-AF1D-4CC4-BCFE-1F11C8291F63-3973-000001A112EE0D6C_zpsd583831f.jpg

I'm picking up a new motor for it next week, so hopefully soon! I'd love to drive it to Carlisle at some point, but this year would be a stretch.

^ Ben's parts definitely make you :-D

Spent 4 hours in the garage today and didn't touch the car. Tons of cleanup, organization, etc. 50+ degrees in Vermont today, can't wait for spring!

Nice Accord. V6 or 4?

2012 EX V6, so cloth seats and no dual-zone auto climate control. Got it in the fall right when the 2013 models came out, so the incentives were huge. It's automatic but I like it, 30 mpg on the highway and 270 hp. Fun to pull on Subarus on the highway :)

Hey Bob...wanna part with any of those motors?

Ha, I sold the one on the red stand and the one on the tire last month. That was part of today's garage effort, playing the engine shuffle game with four motors and three stands to get them ready for pickup. Just waiting for the buyer to come up from Long Island.

The one painted light blue is an unopened '91 B230FT with ~145K miles that was in my car for a couple years. I was going to open it up just as an FYI to myself, but if you want it you could come pick it up for cheap. I want to save a few parts off it though, like the new OEM oil pump I put in and a couple other things. I also have another bare '94 squirter block with ~130K if you're looking for just a block to start a build. Good crank too. Let me know.

The red-painted one is a newly-rebuilt '94 squirter block with ~60K miles that's going in the car :)

I spent some time in the garage today breaking stuff, since it's 70 degrees up here in Vermont and spring has finally arrived (it was snowing a week ago).

I've been tearing apart my old B230FT since I needed some parts (like the new OEM oil pump) for the new engine. While it was apart I also figured I could use it to practice installing pistons using a simple ring compressor (Lisle brand, I think). However, I didn't have much luck, breaking part of the rings on both tries. The first time the compressor clearly wasn't tight enough and it broke a good chunk of the middle ring off, and the second time I tightened it as much as I could allowing the piston to still move (hitting it with a wooden hammer handle) and it still broke a small piece off the oil seal ring.

There are still two more pistons available for practice, but I might just take the new engine to a machine shop and have them swap the h-beams in. I assume I'd get 3 out of 4 in without a problem and then break the last one :lol: I'd be interested to hear others' experiences.

So not much progress to report, but nice to spend some time on the car. And some pics:

Out with the blue, in with the red:

Practice:

I bet that headgasket isn't making the piston install any easier.

Yeah, was thinking the same. The compressor was never actually flush to the block, so the rings probably expanded a bit right before the piston hole. Still have two more to practice on!

Anyone want some 13mm rods for cheap?

Get rid of the gasket and use a wooden hammer handle to gently tap them into the hole. The trick is to have the compressor tight as hell and the band as flush and tight as possible to the block.

Bob have you had any problem with out the brace to hold the core supportand the hood flexing at speed? I couldn't remember if it ever got reinstalled on Brian's 242 after the Evo intercooler install.

I had a little bit, so I welded a new one together.

Back