• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

The Buchka 242 Fake Racecar

Nice work. I too have a Syncrowave of that vintage. Fan is hella noisy. Now that Bondo mentioned it, Ill look into the retro fit kit. Sitting idle, mine pulls 5 amps, so I just dont leave it on for the sake of fabbing!

Alex just put the finishing touches on the button flywheel today. It came out beautifully.

flywheel%2520screenshot.PNG

Unfortunately I wasn't around to snap any pics of the turning operations, but the basic procedure was the following: Rough cut a circle out of 20mm plate with the oxy/acetylene torch, weld a scrap slug to the center of the plate for the chuck jaws to grab, then turn the front and the back profiles.

After the turning and drilling the bolt patterns, he milled recess slots for the clutch cover bolts:
IMG_0182.JPG

Adding some chamfers:
IMG_0183.JPG

Final weight:
IMG_0184.JPG

IMG_0185.JPG

Cool! What happens for a crank sensor? Something on the crank pulley I imagine?
Does that motor have some sort of evil crank damper?

That was intentional. Homer's Quality Assurance methods are merciless.

The crank sensor will be mounted on the bellhousing and trigger off a 60-2 mounted on the starter ring gear. The drawings are all done and it will probably be the next thing I make. Since the bellhousing is being made up from scratch it's not a big deal to add a mount for a sensor on it. The engine has a reasonably sized crank damper on it that we'd like to keep stock and unmodified.

Just did a rough calculation, and the rotating mass of all the clutch components comes in around 30lbs. That's flywheel, clutch cover, discs, floaters, ring gear, trigger wheel, torque tube prop shaft, and all associated fasteners. Hopefully we don't need to add any ballast.

My flywheel weighs just a shade over 9 lbs. You have to think about it all the time when starting off from stop. Otherwise works fine.
Mine is 9lb too. ;-) I run a light pressure plate and it's still prone to stalling if I don't get it right. I'd rather have a flywheel that was a little heavier for street driving. But I drove Ian's car and that clutch is tougher than mine because the pedal is so light, yet it grabs so hard and sudden. Very weird, very different from any 240 I've driven. Usually heavy clutch grab = heavy pedal.

Back