• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

s60R R brake upgrade=massive brake squeal. Thoughts?

I have no update as of now. Mine are still ear bleeding squealing at anything less than full on hard braking. I'll be pulling it apart this weekend to re-check alignment and centering. I have the metal shims that came on the r calipers. Like I've mentioned, I have tried 3 different pad sets of different manufacture and grip. I have also tried plain OEM rotors and my dimpled and slotted rotor all with the same results. I'll recheck everything and assemble with lots of grease. However I won't have results for a couple weeks as I'm also swapping out heads and cam.

I think the alignment may be important, if they are not parallel, seems that would impart vibration/noise till the clamping pressure is enough to make everything rigid. Either that or mount is not rigid enough as was discussed , You've eliminated pretty much everything else

Not sure if you've solved this problem yet but I had a similar issue on the rear of my car. It turned out the shim that goes under the pins was dragging the rotor itself. I'm using OEM rotors. I ended up just grinding the OD of the rotor down a touch until it was no longer a problem.

I do have some squealing from the front now, but only when everything is super hot and only at really low speeds. Normally its fine. I'm on stoptech sport pads with no backing shims.

Not sure if you've solved this problem yet but I had a similar issue on the rear of my car. It turned out the shim that goes under the pins was dragging the rotor itself. I'm using OEM rotors. I ended up just grinding the OD of the rotor down a touch until it was no longer a problem.

I do have some squealing from the front now, but only when everything is super hot and only at really low speeds. Normally its fine. I'm on stoptech sport pads with no backing shims.

my squeal is at low less pedal pressure braking or really slow speeds when coming to a stop. Medium to hard braking its non existent.

Im having a hard time picturing what you did.

Sorry man didn't read your posts. My current squealing situation sounds similar to what you have, but only under 5 mph or so. I really don't care about it much at that point, its only when hot. I'm not even running shims in the front.

The first issue was on the rear. I could see witness marks on the outside of the rotor where the clip that holds the pads down was dragging. This was causing a squealing noise that went away when I got on the brakes. Again this was only on the rears though.

Sorry man didn't read your posts. My current squealing situation sounds similar to what you have, but only under 5 mph or so. I really don't care about it much at that point, its only when hot. I'm not even running shims in the front.

The first issue was on the rear. I could see witness marks on the outside of the rotor where the clip that holds the pads down was dragging. This was causing a squealing noise that went away when I got on the brakes. Again this was only on the rears though.

Mines obnoxious at low speeds. Probably same speed as you.

So are these just aluminum spacers or do they change the mounting angle slightly or just push the caliper one direction a little? I don't get what these would do to help. And does this voodoo work?
Dave

I don't believe they change orientation or position but rather act to catch the resonations/vibrations that cause squeal. Appears to come with longer bolts so it make sense that they are just an add on.

Edit: tempted to order them myself but not sure the bolt pattern is the same for the caddy calipers.

I don't know anything about a shim that goes between the pad and the pistons on these R calipers. There is no Volvo bulletin for that, the bulletin is for the early cars that didn't have the mass dampers/weights/anti-vibration blocks you see mentioned above.

We had some intermittent issues with this sort of noise complaint even on a stock S60R that had the mass dampers installed. We installed Akebono Ceramic pads and Textar OE replacement rotors then the car developed brake noise(coming from worn Volvo pads and rotors). We switched to Volvo pads but it still made the noise. Then we swapped the Textar rotors out for Brembo OE replacements and the noise went away.

Your experience may vary, and to those who have said that shims behind the pads are needed, are you making this up based on your thoughts with another application, or do you have a part number for something Volvo sold to help this situation?

Back