• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B234 camshaft specs

Hi
I can tell you that the penta cams have 1mm more lift than the car
you can time them up using the cam wheels and the rocker box
its all the same
Hope that helps

Get the cams from Yoshifab or some from Europe (Cat cams, Enem, etc).
Or email Erland Cox and get a set custom made for your engine. I bet it's ~$1k usd for a set of custom cams.

Get the cams from Yoshifab or some from Europe (Cat cams, Enem, etc).
Or email Erland Cox and get a set custom made for your engine. I bet it's ~$1k usd for a set of custom cams.
What do you have against the Penta cams?

They're pretty mild, and I haven't seen any concrete lift/duration figures for them. Also, being that they're for a boat they are designed for a peak performance in a narrow operating rpm.

they are designed for a peak performance in a narrow operating rpm.
Which is what it sounds like Jack is going for, considering he wants to put in larger valves in. You can't tell me that Yoshifab's are going to less peaky and have me believe it considering they're mild factory cams, though! :-P

I'm just giving you a hard time. If Jack had reasonably cheap access to Penta cams over the standard B234F cams, I'd run them, too. If I was building an engine for 250hp+ with larger valves, I too would definitely go with something aftermarket if anyone wanted my inexperienced opinion(I have only dealt with a stock B234F and removed balance shafts in the General Leif). Oh, and Harald's gutless at low rpm turbo 16V engine with Yoshifab(?) camshafts.

Last edited:
The Yoshi cams are VERY similar to the cams I had reground for the 16v NA rally car. They worked really well, and it pulled out to 8k without hesitation. :e-shrug:

The cams I had ground are based on the Techtonics Tuning "276 Sport Cam", part number: 109 570. Their cam grinder did my cams.
Specs:
235?@0.050" .443” total lift Intake open 0.050" @6.7? BTDC

Hah, I was editing my post when you responded. Anyway, I believe you, I'm just saying I bet the Penta cams have less duration than whatever you had done up, so they will have better low rpm. Boats still have to get up out of the water so their low end isn't completely worthless. The V cam for 8v engines is actually a decent camshaft, however, also very mild.

Oh, and Harald's gutless at low rpm turbo 16V engine with Yoshifab(?) camshafts.

Lol, Haralds "gutless" 16vt is using the cams I had ground actually.
It's far from gutless on the bottom end though. It's probably only 8.7:1 CR, and it's faster than my NA dd down low :rofl:

there we go!

Which is what it sounds like Jack is going for, considering he wants to put in larger valves in. You can't tell me that Yoshifab's are going to less peaky and have me believe it considering they're mild factory cams, though! :-P
I can always add a cam to the build. Theres a local guy that does cams too. I can get some ground too

It's far from gutless on the bottom end though. It's probably only 8.7:1 CR, and it's faster than my NA dd down low :rofl:

10.1 FTW anything below sucks

Harald's car is turbo, hence the low static compression ratio.
I remembered that after you said yours weren't the Yoshifabs. :) Harald's car feels like a slug down low compared to when it was an 8V. It pulls cleanly, I do agree, but when I drove it last(before he had decent boost control), it didn't ever throw me back into the seat with surge of torque, it just gradually ramped up. I think it's better now with proper boost control, but I haven't been in it for a long time at this point.

I'm just giving you a hard time. If Jack had reasonably cheap access to Penta cams over the standard B234F cams, I'd run them, too. If I was building an engine for 250hp+ with larger valves, I too would definitely go with something aftermarket if anyone wanted my inexperienced opinion(I have only dealt with a stock B234F and removed balance shafts in the General Leif). Oh, and Harald's gutless at low rpm turbo 16V engine with Yoshifab(?) camshafts.

Bro. Not sure about you, but here is a comparison between the General Leif's B230 and my "gutless" engine. On the same dyno, run by the same guy. I need to go back now that the torn in-tank lift hose leak has been addressed. I think what you may be wrongly attributing here is gearing. You know, 4.56 vs 3.73 on the same box:

Leif:

attachment.php

Gutless 16v:

BHOwFsPh.jpg

Last edited:
This is with stock size runners and a nice flat adapter plate on the exhaust ports killing gas velocity at low RPM.

Definitely go for the Yoshifab cams if you can swing it. They are worth the expense.

This is with stock size runners and a nice flat adapter plate on the exhaust ports killing gas velocity at low RPM.

Definitely go for the Yoshifab cams if you can swing it. They are worth the expense.

that plate does kill some velocity for sure... I put my 16VT 245 aside for the last 8 months ..

still might go with them anyway just depends what my cam guy wants to do/ his price
going to get a better idea after flow testing - I'm a little ways out

Hey, don’t come in here with numbers! The Leif’s sheet isn’t showing up for me for whatever reason l, but I know what it says. It says more torque for the Leif below 3000rpm! At least with that camshaft. Now, I’m not so sure.

Still, it’s far from the low end torque you’d get out of a similar setup on an 8v(and conversely, it would fall off at high rpm where this doesn’t). I think I would like the powerband better with stock cams in a turbo 16V street car where the low end has more oomph and it still would have plenty of pull up top.

Back