• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

20v motor in an RWD

Logdog

Has anyone seen or heard of putting a five cylinder turbo motor in a RWD? I was wondering if the bellhousings are the same on a four cylinder and a five cylinder. I just picked up an 850 with 131k for $300.00 and it seems to run well. Long story/good deal. I'm wondering if it will bolt up to an AW71 or AW72.

I think a few people may have though about putting a whiteblock in a 240. I don't thing anyone has pulled it off though...

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=219119

DSC_7647.jpg

Gentlemen, thanks for the quick responses. I spent quite a bit of time going through the two swaps. Now what I need to do is pull the 850 apart and find a 960 donor car. There was one in the local pick-n-pull. It also had an AW trans in it which is what I'm thinking of using. The plan is to mock up the engine to see if I can stuff it in my 1967 Amazon wagon. Again thanks and I'm open to any other hot ideas.

cubes?

IF you could turbo a 6-pot whiteblock without causing a shower of broken castings in the next county, you'd have half a litre over the turbo'd 5 pots which are so similar to the whiteblocks. That might be the answer. But I can see no good reason to use the fragile and hard-to fix N/A 6-pot whiteblock over a redblock. Only the B28 or B280 would be less useful!

Things could be worse.

I was thinking about the 20v into the Amazon today as I was reassembling my Weber carb. I was going to run the Weber for a week or two to get a sense of where the performance was before I switched to a set of SU's my buddy Ron built for me. This guy is good. He used to be the west coast distributor for SU carbs in the 60's and '70's. He knows how to make these work. I fired up the coupe and it seemed to run well for having been in the shop for about six months. I made a six mile run up the hill to see Ron and have him drive the car a bit to see how it was running so we could compare it to the SU's. Just as I pulled into his driveway I heard a dull "pop" sound and the next thing I knew the car was in flames. I ran to his shop and grabbed an extinguisher as it was the fastest way to go. I shot the flames from under the car without opening the hood and the fire was out. It seemed like it took 20 minutes to get the fire out, but in reality it was probably only about 2 minutes. It turns out that the hose clamp on the fuel filter had been loosened and the fuel pump pushed the filter off the hose at the pump. It could have been far worse. I was going to pull the motor soon and install the M41 overdrive anyway so now I get to do that, repaint the engine bay the red color that I wanted instead of the black and replace a few wires that got singed. It could have been a real bum day and it turned out way better than I could have hoped for. I was pretty proud of the "Volvo hubcaps" that I made yesterday. they cam our looking good.

Travis, the red block would be too simple and easy to put into an Amazon. Where's the challenge in that!!?? Roger, the six cylinder white block could be possible, but it is a bit big to put into the Amazon without a lot of extra work. So long as this will bolt up to an AW71 or AW72, I'd be happy to go with it. I'm already working on a 1966 Amazon wagon with a VW turbo Diesel and Toyota five-speed. I just like the challenges.

if your going to do something challenging i just feel you should put a motor that can handle power if you choose it. a redblock is way more stout and reliable. or if you want a challenge that is a 6cyl go 1j or 2j. i mean its your build and it will be cool no matter what but i feel like you could choose a stronger/more reliable motor

Something quite nice about keeping it all Volvo though, and the whiteblock can make decent power before impersonating a landmine.

if your going to do something challenging i just feel you should put a motor that can handle power if you choose it. a redblock is way more stout and reliable. or if you want a challenge that is a 6cyl go 1j or 2j. i mean its your build and it will be cool no matter what but i feel like you could choose a stronger/more reliable motor

Captain bondo make over 500whp with his white block . The white blocks worst enemy is an owner who does not perform maintenance.

Whiteblocks can't handle power? Thats news to me.

What you been smokin' over there??? Too many substantial evidences of the misconception you are harboring.

OP: Canuck is planning/installing a whiteblock into Amazon, you may want to check in with any threads he has on it.

Gentlemen, thanks for the quick responses. I spent quite a bit of time going through the two swaps. Now what I need to do is pull the 850 apart and find a 960 donor car. There was one in the local pick-n-pull. It also had an AW trans in it which is what I'm thinking of using. The plan is to mock up the engine to see if I can stuff it in my 1967 Amazon wagon. Again thanks and I'm open to any other hot ideas.

Upright B230 16v on ITBs
Good t5 box
back axle 4 linked with LONG links

36-38mm intake valves, and Knox Motorsport custom ground 16v cores with good lumpy grind
230-240 bhp of fun.

Back