• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

control arm box plates

singlecoil

Has anyone used Yoshifabs control/trailing arm box plates?I'm building a 1979 242 and am just starting on the suspension.240's rear trailing arms seem pretty wimpy and the front control arms seem pretty heavy and crude.Are they a big improvment for a street car?

Well, boxing is only going to make things stiffer and heavier (but, neither front or rear arms are very heavy once you have them off the car). I was going to do the same, but with all the poly, upgraded dampers, and other suspension bits, the steering is pretty damb tight.

Are you going to be racing the car on a track?

I guess it could be a weak link if you are going ALL OUT. But, due to the I-beam construction of the arms it would seem that boxing them would be best as stopping any twisting.

Maybe Kaplan wants to chime in here...

>>>>

I am flagging this to be moved away from "Article Composition."

Front control arms will fold up under braking with enough grip. I did this on gravel with rally tires years ago.

Copy what Volvo did with the 'Taxicab/Police' control arm and it will be stronger.

After many failures in front suspension I purchased Sellholm's kit which has been fantastic. Tubular control arms with spherical bushings.... Ambulance spindles.... Coil-over struts with spherical top mounts... Big brakes. No failures and wonderful handling.

I would box the front control arms to keep them in shape. John has bent them racing, I have bent a couple on the street. A pothole killed one for me a while back.

The rear will make a difference, but seems like overkill unless you start making some real big power.

Right on,I like overkill.This car won't see any track time but I just like building.I have been driving 240's for a long time and I just wondered if I was missing out on something like "If this car had stiffer arms it would really wail" I'm going to box both front and rear and with the normal polys/sways/koni/brace/wheel and tire mods I should have a good smiling while driving factor.Thank you very much for your input guys.

I would box the front control arms to keep them in shape. John has bent them racing, I have bent a couple on the street. A pothole killed one for me a while back.

The rear will make a difference, but seems like overkill unless you start making some real big power.

Imagine what that pothole would have done to the rest of the suspension had your control arm not taken one for the team.

I have boxed my front and rear control arms along with many other upgrades to get this brick to handle...Its a combination of everything working together that make the total package...
This upgrade was money well spent IMOP.
Good Luck with your build....

FWIW..... Installing the Sellholm kit VS Coil-overs and Boxed control arms.....

For the sake of comparison..... Think of the size of improvement when replacing everything that was stock and worn out on a '76 with IPd Everything including the big bars, boxed control arms, plastic bushings, Springs, Bilstiens.

The car was OK on the Volvo Spindles with coil-overs.... A broken spindle at speed took some of the fun out of that :omg:

Sellholm's kit uses the 'Ambulance Spindle' which is said to be stronger. Track is wider with the Sellholm kit. Yum!

Imagine what that pothole would have done to the rest of the suspension had your control arm not taken one for the team.

Foldable control arms are great on stock or what most consider a performance suspension. When you load them enough you can bend them without the pothole.
Folding control arms are not something I will deal with again.

Foldable control arms are great on stock or what most consider a performance suspension. When you load them enough you can bend them without the pothole.
Folding control arms are not something I will deal with again.

'Variable Camber and toe being an Acquired taste.' One many don't realize is awful until sampling the good stuff...

I've bent both of my rear trailing arms simply driving on dirt roads, definitely not beating on the car. Nothing crazy in the suspension, just poly bushings, overload springs and Bilstein HDs. Haven't bent the front ones though, go figure..

I've bent both of my rear trailing arms simply driving on dirt roads, definitely not beating on the car. Nothing crazy in the suspension, just poly bushings, overload springs and Bilstein HDs. Haven't bent the front ones though, go figure..

those poly axle bushings will contribute to putting bending loads into your trailing arms.

Back