• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

setting up an external wastegate.

slowboost744

Hey everyone,
I'm knuckle deep in my turbo swap. (12b to Rotomaster ar.60)
The new turbo requires an external wastegate, which I have sourced, but never had experience setting up.
My question is does the wastegate have to be plumbed in pre turbine? It can I put it behind the downgrade in the downpipe? I'm using a cast stock manifold so cutting and welding a spot for the wastegate isn't really an option. Just in my mind it doesn't seem like it would work in the downpipe.
Any help or pictures of your setups would be awesome.
Thanks!

It must be between the manifold and the turbo, else it is functionally worthless.

I'm looking at building an adapter pipe from my 90+ to an Audi K24 and will place the Audi external gate on the pipe. Simplest, easiest way to manage it.

The wastegate I'm using is actually an older Audi piece, so it sounds like were not far off from the same idea.
I could weld it in, but welding cast iron usually sucks.

Easiest solution would be the adapter pipe that I mentioned, the only welding required would be for the flanges and tubing. Everything bolts together otherwise.

Yeah, I'm using the external gate and turbo off a 200 turbo Quattro.

Can you get 2 flanges and weld some tubing between them. So it sandwitches between the turbo and mani and have the waste gate welded onto this piece between the mani and turbo.
Mani > flange > watergate and tubing > flange > turbo

DSC01261.jpg

DSC01264.jpg

If i ever did this again i would have used a small bend instead of a straight piece to move the wg away from the motor mount and alternator.
223569_10150172419036302_8118043_n.jpg

134654_478735996301_7880528_o.jpg

Well, it appears as tho all that porting work I did on my old 88 manifold was for no reason, gotta source a 90+ to do this right I guess. Blah. Thanks for the input everyone, atleast I can do it right now.

That would probly work, but I would be concerned about clearance from the turbo to the fenderwell. It's pretty tight as is being a 1.0ar exhaust housing.

Back