• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

245 Air Suspension

bootska

I have an ?88 245 that I?ve had for 25 years that I don?t drive anymore, because, well, racecar. I?ve decided I want to bag it. It?d be a fun project for me and give me more excuses/reasons to drive it. You don?t see many lowered vintage Volvos. I?ve never seen one here in NC.

I'm looking for someone here that has actually done it. The forum boards offer dated info--partial build threads 10+ years old. This board, specifically, devolves into everyone to use the search function that only circulates the aforementioned dated info.

• All of this to ask how hard is it?
  • Are there kits than can be modified?
  • Is this also an excuse for me to learn welding?
  • Is it easily reversible if I decide to go back to stock?
  • Do the rear bags replace both the shock and spring? Is there any kind of rear shock?
  • Is there a brand of bag or strut that?s better than other?
  • Is mixing and matching problematic if I?m buying components separately? Say, buying the air management system from one company and the bag components from another.

I?m at the research stage so any advice is helpful. Internet research is vague at best in all of this. Parts and "kit" suppliers can't answer basic questions about welding instructions for this platform.

116573215_10158561211206692_129064970113995644_n.jpg

Old user "BLOWN240" had a bagged 240 back in the old days.
You need strut bags out front, which limits port size, which limits fill/dump speed.
The welding shouldn't be too hard, even for a beginner.
The big issue is even with no springs sitting on the bumpstops, the car doesn't "look" that slammed.
You would need to do short struts in front, and cut the floor to allow driveshaft and axle to move up higher to get the totally slammed look, aka a "body drop".
I considered doing it for similar reasons, e.g. hittin switches for the bitches.
I put together my 83 turbo wagon instead.
No ragrets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoZK8QjrBUw

The rear should be fairly easy as it’s a solid axle. Should be similar to the old mini trucks I used to play with. Yes you still need shocks in the rear with bags and air struts are only option I really see up front. What part of NC are you in? I may be able to help you out a little if you are close

Back