• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B230 on Bike Carbs

The_Geoffrey

I?m currently in the process of building my B230FT for 300-400bhp to eventually slot into my 1987 744 with an M47 box.

This is a fair way off mind, I keep adding to the build which pumps the budget up so it?s getting delayed.

In the meantime the 744 is off the road and I?d like to start using it for running around. Currently has a B230 with a carburettor but it idles terribly and is as smooth to drive as falling down the stairs, on your face, naked.

Wondering if it?s worth stripping the existing carb and giving it some TLC, or throw it away and put some motorbike carbs on instead. Don?t want to spend crazy money on it but if I?m patient enough I can probably put the parts together cheap enough.

Has anyone does this before and what are your experiences, any hidden downfalls to expect which will chew on my wallet, how straight forward is it??

300-400hp on an m47? Oh my

M47 box will be gone long before that setup goes in, will be running an M90 with TTV flywheel and a decent clutch kit.

Quickest cheapest is to fix what you got. bike carbs will need manifolds, linkages, tuning etc.

Manifold isn?t an issue, I can get this made up relatively cheaply, probably part of the reason I?ve entertained the idea.

I know linkage will be a bit fiddly, tuning is ignition only so the standard setup that?s in the car will probably be fine.

Modern bike carbs are pretty awesome in general. Think of it this way - automotive carburetor development pretty much ended in the mid 80s. Motorcycle carburetor development went on well into the 2010s at least on dirtbikes. Taking a set of carbs off of a 1.0L inline 4-cylinder sportbike gives you a highly sophisticated mechanical system made to high precision standards. The downside is you will need to be familiar with welding and machining to adapt a set yourself, or pay someone else to figure it out, the cost of which will probably outweigh the benefits of the swap.

^This.

CD/CV carbs are so much better than 'traditional' jets-for-every-part-of-throttle-phase units. It's why people are still rocking old SUs or Zenith Strombergs (guilty!). Modern CV carbs are still lightyears ahead of those, but when I move on from my current dual ZS setup, it'll probably be to bike carbs.

My only experience with CV motorcycle carbs is with the ones still on my bike, but I will say it will tootle smoothly around town at 2000rpm but will supply enough fuel for 144hp at 11,500rpms just as smoothly.

For what you’d spend putting cbr1000 carbs on and making them work you could just go ahead and get ms3 or microsquirt running. You’re going to want that on your 300-400hp motor behind that glass transmission anyways.

Back