• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Need recommendation on turbo upgrade

CFStark77

I come from the whiteblock world, but have a 745 inbound via trailer later this week. I'm new to redblocks, and could really use some knowledgeable input. I've spoken with prior owner, it has a B230FT with generic ebay T3, but 700CC injectors, IPD turbo cam, 3" TB, FMIC, forged pistons and rods, meth injection, it's an unmodified 8v head and the block has piston squirters.

I'd like to get a bigger turbo ordered, what would be something that would work well with the existing mods? Anything else recommended?

Sorry if I'm leaving anything out, this purchase was a bit of a whim. I was looking for V70's and this 745 popped up and I was intrigued.

Last edited:
Holset hx40 super, with 18cm2 exhaust housing, works at 350->650hp...
Wakes up early with GOOD tubular equal lenght twin-scroll exhaust manifold.

Or a hx35super, good for 300-500hp.

Thank you! I will check that out. With the hx35super, does that bolt onto a stock manifold?

Also - unrelated, but hopefully you might know. I see 531 heads available online, but they're advertised as being previously used on freshwater marine engines. Are those the 8v heads that people swap onto the B230?

I come from the whiteblock world, but have a 745 inbound via trailer later this week. I'm new to redblocks, and could really use some knowledgeable input. I've spoken with prior owner, it has a B230FT with generic ebay T3, but 700CC injectors, IPD turbo cam, 3" TB, FMIC, forged pistons and rods, meth injection, it's an unmodified 8v head and the block has piston squirters.

I'd like to get a bigger turbo ordered, what would be something that would work well with the existing mods? Anything else recommended?

Sorry if I'm leaving anything out, this purchase was a bit of a whim. I was looking for V70's and this 745 popped up and I was intrigued.

what engine management? What are you looking for out of the bigger turbo/what are the goals? Is it an interim turbo for a car you're going to continue to build, or do you think this is the setup you're going to run for a while. Fully forged internals seems a little incongruous with the rest of that build!

I ran an HX35 for a while, I would not put one on a stock head, stock manifold, IPD turbo cam car and expect a real party. If it's running LH still god help you.

Have you used these turbos on your own car?

Also - unrelated, but hopefully you might know. I see 531 heads available online, but they're advertised as being previously used on freshwater marine engines. Are those the 8v heads that people swap onto the B230?

Yes it is. Don't hang your hat too heavily on the whole "freshwater" engine thing. Finding one that doesn't have a chewed up #4 exhaust port with a round steel sleeve hammered into it is pretty rare. If you do find one clean enough to just use as-is, people are generally asking a (fair) price for them that makes working out a 530 start to make more sense. I've had and dissected 531's and heavily worked 530's and the 531 isn't any kind of magical thing.

My friend was using a hx35 and it gives max boost at 3500rpm, but if these are too large turbos, then maybe a TD04HL- 19T is a good choice.

My friend was using a hx35 and it gives max boost at 3500rpm, but if these are too large turbos, then maybe a TD04HL- 19T is a good choice.

I had an HX35 on a thoroughly done setup, manifolds, pretty serious head and cam, and max boost was at 3,800rpm. Sure it can make some boost at 3,500, but max? I'd be interested to see that data log.

On a stock head, with stock manifolds, with a mild cam? No way, not happening.

Yes, with a stock head, but k-cam and twinscroll exhaust manifold.
Even hx40 super made max boost at 4000 and some boost at 3500rpm.

enough people here have run holsets to know you're wrong. An hx35 with the smallest 12cm housing available doesnt make full boost until 3800-4k on an otherwise somewhat stock motor.

If you're feeling cheap, an He351cw is an excellent choice. If you're feeling like spending some money, a t3/t04e 50 trim or a Borg Warner s256 SX is a decent choice. If you feel like balling out, GTX3071r or Borg EFR 7163.

enough people here have run holsets to know you're wrong. An hx35 with the smallest 12cm housing available doesnt make full boost until 3800-4k on an otherwise somewhat stock motor.

If you're feeling cheap, an He351cw is an excellent choice. If you're feeling like spending some money, a t3/t04e 50 trim or a Borg Warner s256 SX is a decent choice. If you feel like balling out, GTX3071r or Borg EFR 7163.

Even hx40 super makes full boost at 4000rpm, but i did forget to mention that the turbo was actually hx35 super, not original hx35.

Those super's wake up earlier.

And exhaust manifold is a key role with these configurations.

I went ahead and ordered a genuine HX35W, with billet wheel, and just tossed on an adjustable wastegate (1bar to start). My mani/header will come back from the welder this weekend, taking an OBX header, flipping the exhaust port flange, welding in a proper split in the collector, and adding some structure support. Should have it up and running in a few weeks with the new setup.

Back