• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1984 Volvo 760 GLE Turbo Diesel NEWBIE needs Help!

XlowerX

Hey all!!

I got my Grandfathers 1984 Volvo 760 GLE Turbo Diesel Automatic with 207K miles. Pretty cool old car!!

Did a light tune-up, fuel filter, glow plugs, oil change, new battery, etc. Drove for 2 weeks with no issues.

Today I was going about 80MPH and my automatic transmission just lost all gears while driving. I pulled over to find Reverse still works, but nothing in 1-3, D, nothing. Fluid was 1 quirt low, but still nothing.

SO here I am, Looking for Help... I see their are lots of swap information for these cars. I'm curious if I missed something and this tranny could still be good? Or If I should upgrade to a 5 speed manual (would be much more fun to drive). Not sure what transmissions fit the diesel over the gas engines?

Also looking what people do for upgrades on the turbo Desiel for more power. I know its 207K miles, so not trying to build a racecar, but maybe some tips/tricks or parts that help out.

I'm open to any ideas and I think you all in advance for help!

Paul

4bt a and T5 trans is what Ied do. Then again, there are a few better 93-95 mechanical diesel pumped 4 cylinder Japanese or Europe these days. Stay away from electric controlled it seems. And as all the diesel fuel lines etc are already there

Where did the fluid go? Did you boil it, was it 40 years old. I bet dropping the pan, and have a new filter ready. If its full of clutch material or metal, no point in wasting filter or fluid

Could have ate the clutch pack. Does the fluid look/smell gross? You'll need a diesel specific transmission to swap since they use different bell housings vs gas cars. You could probably find an M46 diesel bell housing and make a T5 work, but that'll cost a lot more than getting a used M46 or another ZF.

Come on over to the forum at [url]www.d24t.com[/URL], it's where us Volvo diesel guys hang out. There is not a lot of diesel knowledge here on TB (although there are plenty of myths and old wives' tales :-P). 99.9999% gasoline powered cars here.

On your transmission, you may be experiencing the failure of forward ("A") clutch in the ZF automatic which is not common but does sometimes happen. Unfortunately if that is the case the only fix is a trans rebuild or replacement. Fortunately in the rebuild process, the underlying flaw that causes these failures gets resolved, so it won't happen again. Other than this one issue they are great transmissions and worth fixing.

Swapping to manual is an option too but these cars are faster and better to drive with an automatic most of the time. A D24T M46 can bolt in though, or an M90. T5 too in theory but a lot more hacking involved.

Cool that you have the car, hope you can get it back up and running one way or another. You will find lots of help over on the diesel board.

Last edited:
Where did the fluid go? Did you boil it, was it 40 years old. I bet dropping the pan, and have a new filter ready. If its full of clutch material or metal, no point in wasting filter or fluid

Its pretty oily under the car from so many years. Couldn't tell if it was leaking out or not. Dropping the pan seems like a good idea.

Could have ate the clutch pack. Does the fluid look/smell gross? You'll need a diesel specific transmission to swap since they use different bell housings vs gas cars. You could probably find an M46 diesel bell housing and make a T5 work, but that'll cost a lot more than getting a used M46 or another ZF.

Thanks for the info! I was wondering if this Diesel motor would mount a gas tranny. I'll check the fluid tonight. It still looked red, but I didn't get a good smell of it.

Come on over to the forum at [url]www.d24t.com[/URL], it's where us Volvo diesel guys hang out. There is not a lot of diesel knowledge here on TB (although there are plenty of myths and old wives' tales :-P). 99.9999% gasoline powered cars here.

On your transmission, you may be experiencing the failure of forward ("A") clutch in the ZF automatic which is not common but does sometimes happen. Unfortunately if that is the case the only fix is a trans rebuild or replacement. Fortunately in the rebuild process, the underlying flaw that causes these failures gets resolved, so it won't happen again. Other than this one issue they are great transmissions and worth fixing.

Swapping to manual is an option too but these cars are faster and better to drive with an automatic most of the time. A D24T M46 can bolt in though, or an M90. T5 too in theory but a lot more hacking involved.

Cool that you have the car, hope you can get it back up and running one way or another. You will find lots of help over on the diesel board.

THANK YOU!! I'll go sign up over there! If you all agree that this ZF is good, I'll probably look at getting it rebuilt. Looks like swapping to manual will require needing an ENTIRE car to swap over all the parts (Pedal, Tranny, Cables, ETC)

I called a local shop that deals in old Volvos, and he tells me he hasn't seen a 760 Diesel in 20 years LOL. I gotta get her back up and running!!

Hey Paul, did you ever get something figured out to get your 760 TD back on the road?

Feel free to reach out to me if you need parts (transmission, etc). I have a few good used diesel ZF automatics kicking around still.

Hi everyone,
I have almost an identical story to the original poster in this thread. Just bought a 1984 760 GLE Turbo Diesel with a ZF transmission that can only go in reverse. The seller drove it to my house backwards! Glad to see there's a diesel specific website I'll go sign up for that now. I'm gonna look into options for my transmission. Engine seems ok so far but also there's a reported diesel leak. On swede speed someone said there's a fuel line issue on these guys. @v8volvo do you still have those ZF parts? Thanks for the recommendation also. @XlowerX

Hi everyone,
I have almost an identical story to the original poster in this thread. Just bought a 1984 760 GLE Turbo Diesel with a ZF transmission that can only go in reverse. The seller drove it to my house backwards! Glad to see there's a diesel specific website I'll go sign up for that now. I'm gonna look into options for my transmission. Engine seems ok so far but also there's a reported diesel leak. On swede speed someone said there's a fuel line issue on these guys. @v8volvo do you still have those ZF parts? Thanks for the recommendation also. @XlowerX

Sorry for the delayed answer, I'm not on TB much. Come over to D24T.com where the diesel community is.

#1 thing to know about a D24 or D24T Volvo: DISREGARD virtually every piece of "information" or legend/rumor/lore you hear about them here on TurboBricks, SwedeSpeed, Facebook, InfoWars, lol, etc. In almost every case it will be second or third or tenth hand info that is all wrong. You may hear that the camshafts are made of dynamite and can spontaneously explode at any time..... That the oiling system has issues..... That you need to be a Ph.D rocket scientist to be able to change the timing belts. All wrong.

Only reason I say this is whenever I see something like "On swede speed someone said there's a fuel line issue on these guys"....... there can be trouble ahead. Ignore that. I have no idea what "fuel line issue" they could be mentioning but there's no such problem, lol, whoever said that is repeating something he heard someone else say.... Fuel leaks are usually caused by either old/brittle injector overflow hoses (routine wear item, $3 worth of hose and 5 minutes to replace about every 10 years) or old/brittle injection pump O-rings (more involved to replace but doable DIY, seal kit costs about $30, or a couple hundred bucks to have the whole pump gone through by Tom Bryant).

I do have a few good ZF transmissions and a shop full of other diesel parts, glad to help any way I can. Start a thread on the diesel board and I and others can chime in with anything you need! :)

Sorry for the delayed answer, I'm not on TB much. Come over to D24T.com where the diesel community is.

#1 thing to know about a D24 or D24T Volvo: DISREGARD virtually every piece of "information" or legend/rumor/lore you hear about them here on TurboBricks, SwedeSpeed, Facebook, InfoWars, lol, etc. In almost every case it will be second or third or tenth hand info that is all wrong. You may hear that the camshafts are made of dynamite and can spontaneously explode at any time..... That the oiling system has issues..... That you need to be a Ph.D rocket scientist to be able to change the timing belts. All wrong.

Only reason I say this is whenever I see something like "On swede speed someone said there's a fuel line issue on these guys"....... there can be trouble ahead. Ignore that. I have no idea what "fuel line issue" they could be mentioning but there's no such problem, lol, whoever said that is repeating something he heard someone else say.... Fuel leaks are usually caused by either old/brittle injector overflow hoses (routine wear item, $3 worth of hose and 5 minutes to replace about every 10 years) or old/brittle injection pump O-rings (more involved to replace but doable DIY, seal kit costs about $30, or a couple hundred bucks to have the whole pump gone through by Tom Bryant).

I do have a few good ZF transmissions and a shop full of other diesel parts, glad to help any way I can. Start a thread on the diesel board and I and others can chime in with anything you need! :)
Thanks so much for your response @v8volvo ! I'll hop on over to those boards. I appreciate your advice!

Back