• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

I need more traction!

GratefulNed

So my sbc 350 v8 swapped volvo is almost done (build thread coming), im wrapping up the exhaust, wiring, and still procrastinating on power steering.

Needless to say, with 10:1 compression, "ported" heads, mild cam and rpm performer intake, holley sniper EFI and a heavy foot, my rear tires don't have much to say except "SKRRTTTTTTT". One tire fire baby...

So once the burnout contests are through and the smoke clears, I want some more traction.

I currently have stealies on it that came with it, and a tired set of 185/70-r14 perelli p4's.

I was thinking of replacing the rears with Virgo turbos, but at over $150 each on ebuy "refurbished", i looked into other options as well.

I found some american racing outlaw ii's with 5x108 pattern, 14x7 size and 0mm offset.

I know pretty much nothing about rims so here goes: 240's supposedly have a 20mm offset, so these AR outlaws would stick out an extra 20mm, which would help the fact I'm thinking i want to use atleast 205mm width, which is 8.07", much wider than the stock 5.5" width i got now. Right? :oogle:

Set me straight TB

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/JtiJ5Tr"><a href="//imgur.com/a/JtiJ5Tr">VOLVO 240 V8 SWAP SBC 350</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

You should be able to get virgos a lot cheaper locally if you look, but at 6 inches wide they don't offer a ton of space for wide tires

A locker/limited slip differential will help. Powertrax 2210-LR is a cheap, strong option for the dana30.

So my sbc 350 v8 swapped volvo is almost done (build thread coming), im wrapping up the exhaust, wiring, and still procrastinating on power steering.

Needless to say, with 10:1 compression, "ported" heads, mild cam and rpm performer intake, holley sniper EFI and a heavy foot, my rear tires don't have much to say except "SKRRTTTTTTT". One tire fire baby...

So once the burnout contests are through and the smoke clears, I want some more traction.

I currently have stealies on it that came with it, and a tired set of 185/70-r14 perelli p4's.

I was thinking of replacing the rears with Virgo turbos, but at over $150 each on ebuy "refurbished", i looked into other options as well.

I found some american racing outlaw ii's with 5x108 pattern, 14x7 size and 0mm offset.

I know pretty much nothing about rims so here goes: 240's supposedly have a 20mm offset, so these AR outlaws would stick out an extra 20mm, which would help the fact I'm thinking i want to use atleast 205mm width, which is 8.07", much wider than the stock 5.5" width i got now. Right? :oogle:

Set me straight TB

It's gonna rub like a cheap lapdance.

Maybe some Hydras since there's better tire choices in 16".

That said $150 isn't bad for a Virgo since powder coating or painting is ~$100 per wheel now, so what's another $50 for a straight Virgo?

Which in and of itself almost is an impossibility anymore.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys!

This car is about 30% rust, especially in the rear fenders. I’m no stranger to a sawzall, or a welder, and don’t mind making custom fender flares.

https://www.bbwheelsonline.com/american-racing-outlaw-ii-ar624-wheel-14x7-5x108-machined-0mm/

Here’s the rims, will they rub on the inner body side, or the outer fender? How bad? Cut half my rear quarter panel out bad, or roll with a baseball bat and massage with a sledgehammer bad?

Assuming I’m willing to cut outer fender/make flares, do you think it will clear the brake calipers and all?

If you really want more traction, think posi-traction/locker. You are going to break that differential putting a bunch of power out through the spider gears of that open differential.

It's gonna rub like a cheap lapdance.

Maybe some Hydras since there's better tire choices in 16".

That said $150 isn't bad for a Virgo since powder coating or painting is ~$100 per wheel now, so what's another $50 for a straight Virgo?

Which in and of itself almost is an impossibility anymore.

Yeah, i just read on IPD volvo's offset is positive (away from the car), so these wheels are 20mm farther in, not out like i thought, and 1.5" wider, so thats definitely not going to work for those not inclined to enjoy the rub of a cheap lapdance.

I'm now leaning toward the Virgo's, which should be able to do a 205mm width from what I've read, as well as welding the diff for now.

I actually bet my uncle $100 I could smoke his 2004 F150 lariat 5.4l and he took it, so after welding the diff and getting some rubber I should be able to take his hundo and put it towards a 912A585 Detroit Truetrac (which i think fits... not sure tho) :wtf:

offset-diagram.jpg

If you make any real power, 205's aren't gonna cut it.

A zero offset will fit, but there is a real chance of the tire rubbing on the inside. And if they are wide enough they will rub on the outside as well. On my 79 242, a 245/40-17 (8" wide) with a 6mm offset makes a clean spot on the inside, and if you hit a large bump the fender hits the tire, even after a bunch of trimming. A 225/45 is a better choice.

Use this, it will help. https://www.willtheyfit.com/

I've got a spare set of hydras for the back of my 4.8 turbo setup in a 91 240 sedan, with a 245/55r16 nitto nt555r on em. My buddy had em laying around and i'm notoriously cheap, I had to remove some the tank shields for them to fit and even then with any passengers in the car they like to rub over bumps, and they're too wide to use the entire tread on that narrow of a wheel anyway. So a 225-235 may be the widest you really want to go on a hydra.

For crusing I just put the stockers back on with 195s and send it

A 225/45 is a better choice.

Use this, it will help. https://www.willtheyfit.com/

This. Get some cheap 17 take offs with IPD adapters and put GOOD 225/45/17 tires on them.

Plus the locker as mentioned above.

While you are at it, make sure your brakes are 100% proper with quality pads.

... 15s if you want to run drag slicks. But that is another story.

Back