• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My '91 744 B204GT project

Finally the last "big" thing on the maintenance list...replacing the differential bushings.
Differential is already out, both the upper bushing and one of the lower ones were completely shot & the rubber separated from the metal core.
Replacements are the delrin bushings from > Kaplhenke <, the big upper one is already in place ;-)

s8Ra02Ih.jpg

UdeY6Exh.jpg

Afterwards the diff will be flushed, new oil filled and it goes back into the car.

Diff oil refilled (Mobil1 80w90)
o8FXdcAh.jpg

Diff cover cleaned up, Volvo sealant applied and cover installed
ZolMDAih.jpg

Lower diff subframe sandblasted, sealed and painted
ceEgpxeh.jpg

Rear brake hoses replaced
TG5wvaPh.jpg

The bump stops were bit tired...

MYITrp8h.jpg

G8OXPZsh.jpg

While working on the rear axle, I've noticed the rear brakes are bit out of shape too...so there we go with the rebuild...

xJ9SkkUh.jpg

M64t1uPh.jpg

LJPDigqh.jpg

h2BkYxOh.jpg

Diff and lower subframe is on the car...rear calipers rebuilt...new guide pins, dust boots, piston dust boots, piston seals, brake pads etc...
T4cdK70h.jpg

And it all goes back...
G47xXJYh.jpg

Brake fluid is flushed and no more air in the brake lines.
Unfortunately during testing I have found out that my brake booster leaks air a lot...afr going crazy when I apply brakes and lumpy idle.
New one on the way :grrr:

Wow, nice work!
Bummer about the brake booster, would have been nice if it was OK and allowed for a test drive!
Thanks! I actually went for a test drive, that's how I've noticed it :)
I have my MBC set all the way back for now, so almost no boost, but I've heard the turbo whistling while picking up and that was the best part of the ride :lol:

New brake booster installed, also I have replaced ECT with a new Bosch unit just for sake of it.
Completely disintegrated wiring of the secondary coolant sensor has been replaced (connector #9144275 and connector pins #3523813) so now the dashboard temperature gauge actually shows something :)

I have also measured the oil pressure on the cold engine (around 15?C), it is close to 5 bars so there I should be safe ;-)

<iframe width="800" height="600" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YzHhOsnlQck" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Another issue showed up...I have noticed the idle is not smooth anymore, after some debugging found out that cyl #3 is not firing. Injector is fine, but no spark.

Seems the Bosch ignition coil that I use with the wasted spark setup went bad, only 3 out of 4 spark outputs are giving actual spark. It was a used unit, so...new one on the way :)

To do at least something...I've replaced the damaged door locks!

SLfLUvzh.jpg

ePWpezgh.jpg

Last edited:
As I have the doors already dismantled...I've installed the power lock to the driver's door, mounted the linkage and made an inspection window to be able to easily hook it up to the existing system :)

z4g9shgh.jpg

9Xq6zZMh.jpg

ymuFgVzh.jpg

I just have to route the power lock wires through the door/pillar rubber grommet and I am done with this.

Wiring of the driver's door actuator is done, remote lock works perfectly :cool:
When I was on it, I also disassembled all doors and lubricated all the window and lock mechanisms.
Wiring of the knocksense is also done, now I am waiting for a custom set of new ignition leads to be able to dial it in on the running engine..
In the meantime last paintjob - the sunroof paint was faded so here goes the rattle can again :)

9DRAmfoh.jpg

XUMT2zDh.jpg

ICkqbZJh.jpg

Ltgmb7qh.jpg

The front bump stops got my attention as I've noticed the material is completely disintegrating...ten minutes later I was already dismantling the struts :)
After further inspection, everything except the dust cover and the bump stops actually looks surprisingly well, the shocks are shiny new Volvo OEM units, the upper mounts are also in perfect condition...so I'll just replace the worn parts, clean it up, respray the undercoating and it goes back.

fYGktnQh.jpg

HJECMINh.jpg

Y7UEWCDh.jpg

9xJSNV5h.jpg

Also making progress with the struts...passenger side is done and back in the car. Some parts had surface rust so these has been wire wheeled, rust sealed and painted, bearings lubricated.

final assembly
cJ5jPAWh.jpg

driver's side before, passenger's after rebiuld
ymcP5TBh.jpg

pZPq4sZh.jpg

Hi! Do you have cruise control on this car? I see pulley for cruise control? but no other parts of this system.

Back