• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 flat undertray examples

:uh::uh:
25.jpg

Look at hypermileing 240s on google. There?s been a few.

Aero stuff makes a difference above 30 mph

the way the panels fit makes a huge difference. Your biggest gains will come from under the engine and smoothing out area behind the axle
Also the less holes in front of car the better ... ie gaps between headlights and turn signals (Look at a 240 vs 850 and then look up their drag coefficient all little things add up)

When you start modifying for aero your car will loose a lot of wind noise
One of the worse things on early cars are the roof drains.

Here?s some simple equations for aero stuff. Found this at my old school F1 engine builders shop

https://imgur.com/a/vwO72Yy?s=sms

What?s different about the drip rails on early cars? Difference in the trim?

I know drip rails are great for making a bunch of wind noise on the highway..

Took a quick look under the car in storage and the exhaust/muffler is the lowest point in the rear. Might be able to pass under the axle, but not sure if its worth the effort.

Probably something I'll get started in March, unfortunately.

I know drip rails are great for making a bunch of wind noise on the highway..

Took a quick look under the car in storage and the exhaust/muffler is the lowest point in the rear. Might be able to pass under the axle, but not sure if its worth the effort.

Probably something I'll get started in March, unfortunately.

Generally Wind noise = bad aero
Big reason why newer cars are so quiet (not counting the tire noise)

Interesting read by volvo https://www.mech.kth.se/courses/5C1211/Externals_2012/Ljundberg_2012_1.pdf

Last edited:
Good stuff there. I never realized how much benefit comes from lowering the car.

Stiggy Pop, do you have a rear spoiler? Assuming that the Group A cars were stable at speed, they could make a good pattern for a solution: smallish (for today) front lip and some rake to help keep air from going under the car, and a smallish (again, for today) rear spoiler to reduce lift at the back.

Some input here: https://scholarcommons.scu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1000&context=mech_mstr

Good stuff there. I never realized how much benefit comes from lowering the car.

Stiggy Pop, do you have a rear spoiler? Assuming that the Group A cars were stable at speed, they could make a good pattern for a solution: smallish (for today) front lip and some rake to help keep air from going under the car, and a smallish (again, for today) rear spoiler to reduce lift at the back.

Some input here: https://scholarcommons.scu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1000&context=mech_mstr

no spoiler, and unfortunately I'm unwilling to add one, or a splitter. Just not part of the car's aesthetic. I'll white knuckle it to 150 first :lol:

Looking at the bottom of the car I think the whole front 2/3 is going to be pretty straightforward. The exhaust/axle area will be fiddly.

90kduH8.jpg

Last edited:
no spoiler, and unfortunately I'm unwilling to add one, or a splitter. Just not part of the car's aesthetic. I'll white knuckle it to 150 first :lol:

Looking at the bottom of the car I think the whole front 2/3 is going to be pretty straightforward. The exhaust/axle area will be fiddly.

90kduH8.jpg

Interesting that you went under the axle with your exhaust, what size pipe? I was thinking about splitting it down from 3" to 2) 1.75 or 2" pipes to go over the axle.

Interesting that you went under the axle with your exhaust, what size pipe? I was thinking about splitting it down from 3" to 2) 1.75 or 2" pipes to go over the axle.

it's 3". Not sure if it would work as well with a higher ride height, but with the short konis I can hang the axle at full droop and it doesn't interfere

Back