• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Is anyone selling 240 5.0 mounts now?

I made a post on the V8 Volvo’s FB page a while back about the ones I made. Super easy to fab them up yourself.

Why would you want to?

Time has moved on from the 5.0. Find a $500 iron block junkyard LS motor.

Hey now. Some of us still like the old things. And for some of us, hell will freeze over before we own a POS Chevy. :oogle:

Time has moved on from the Volvo 240 too, and the 740, 940, whatever. Time has definitely moved on from the Volvo redblock engine. Does that mean they should all be crushed and everyone should give up and drive 5 year old Accords?

5.0 in an old Volvo still is a great option, still makes enough power to be dangerous, still a clever lightweight and compact design with excellent power density, smooth running, cheap to buy and modify and overhaul, good mileage, reliable and tough, great sound, classic look under the hood. Everyone and their brother has an LS. Good to see something different.

OP: Converse's mount adapters were nothing fancy or worth spending money on, just use the recipe from testpoint linked above, simple.

Last edited:
I can grab a pic of the JTR version of the 5.0 mounts. That’s what mine are based on.

Hey now. Some of us still like the old things. And for some of us, hell will freeze over before we own a POS Chevy. :oogle:

Time has moved on from the Volvo 240 too, and the 740, 940, whatever. Time has definitely moved on from the Volvo redblock engine. Does that mean they should all be crushed and everyone should give up and drive 5 year old Accords?

5.0 in an old Volvo still is a great option, still makes enough power to be dangerous, still a clever lightweight and compact design with excellent power density, smooth running, cheap to buy and modify and overhaul, good mileage, reliable and tough, great sound, classic look under the hood. Everyone and their brother has an LS. Good to see something different.

OP: Converse's mount adapters were nothing fancy or worth spending money on, just use the recipe from testpoint linked above, simple.

Yeah, I always liked the little windsor for a 300hp affair, I thought last I'd looked a few years ago a 5.0/T5 was
just about a bolt in deal for a 240 by then. But it's been a good while ago.

Pop has an LS in his Comanche pickup, 5.7, stick, 4wd, it's ok. I think I like the LT1 in the Jag better tbh.
The 5.0 is tidy and well known, always thought it'd be fun in a daily 240 instead of moar turboing the
redblock yet again. Guess I'll just wing it if I can find a decent drivetrain. Sure are a lot more LS's out there though.

For 300-400hp, it's hard to beat the 5.slow platform. It's a lot more compact than a LS based engine, and with aluminum heads they're a smidge heavier than a redblock.

I'm not a fan of the motor really but I do have to say the 5.0 with a nice exhaust is one of the best sounding domestic engines ever.

Just curious, why not a newer 4.6?

For 300-400hp, it's hard to beat the 5.slow platform. It's a lot more compact than a LS based engine, and with aluminum heads they're a smidge heavier than a redblock.

Yeah. They look sharper in the engine bay too, IMHO. The LS motors have a lot of cheap looking plastic up top, including plastic intake manifold. The various different cast aluminum factory intakes on the 5.0L are artwork by comparison. Many of the aftermarket ones are nice too, Edelbrock, Trick Flow, etc.

Decent roller cam, throttle body, intake, and exhaust, and an EFI 5.0L is over 300hp no problem, with perfect driveability. Can it put out 500-600 turbocharged hp without breaking itself or the bank, or becoming unruly to drive? No. But how many folks are seriously chasing 600hp?

Obviously the LS works and is probably "better" in every way, but the sound and feel of the older motors is nice and of course in this game preference always trumps functionality.... again, otherwise we'd all be leasing late model crossovers and sending all this old '60s technology RWD isht back to the foundry.

Then again I'm a lifelong GM hater so take all my opinions with a grain of salt. :roll:

I'm not a fan of the motor really but I do have to say the 5.0 with a nice exhaust is one of the best sounding domestic engines ever.

Just curious, why not a newer 4.6?

4.6 is physically huge with the OHC heads, and heavier. Smaller displacement than the 5.0 but closer in external size to a 460. They are great motors too but harder to stuff into tight bays like the 240. Couple of 4.6L swaps here are documented, check out the exhaust and steering shaft clearance on them and what they had to do with brake assist, etc, a lot more effort. Not to say it isn't worth it. But the beauty of the 5.0L (or the SBC/LS, to be fair) is how easily it slips in where a 4cyl used to be, in a Volvo, or in many other rigs. It's of course how Shelby's original Cobra, Sunbeam Tiger, etc all came to be as well. :cool:

Guess I'll just wing it if I can find a decent drivetrain. Sure are a lot more LS's out there though.

I think that's the big issue now, not so much whether they do/don't work well, but availability. Used to be cheap wrecked Fox bodies were everywhere for almost free and grabbing a complete good runner 5.0/T5 drivetrain, ready to drop in, was something you could do for a few hundred bucks every day of the week.

Now all the abused/smashed Foxes are already long picked over and gone, while the decent ones that are left have become classics and too valuable/desirable to harvest for parts. Even the later SN95 cars are getting thin on the ground.

Still a lot of the late '90s/early '00s 5.0 Explorers around, and pickup truck motors of course too, but then you're starting with a setup that needs more added to it, maybe has the funky Explorer headers that need changed or a truck intake manifold, need to find a trans separately, etc.

Still a good swap, IMO, but the combination of factors that used to make the 5.0 a no-brainer swap motor was that it worked beautifully AND they were abundant. The first is still true but the second is not.

Also you could make your 3 oh two a boss version and put Cleveland heads on it then it would roll!

:nod: The famous "Clevor". Always heard those were the hot setup back in the day.

Of course there are so many good aftermarket aluminum heads for the 5.0 out there that that would be a much easier path to probably the same power now....

Another bonus with the 5.slow is that it the oil pump won't take a dump from high revs like the LS pumps do. Swap out the stock oil pump hex- drive for an ARP one and you're good for 7k rpm all day.

After having done an lt1 swap and a 302 swap in 240's, I can tell you conclusively the 5.0 is an easier fit all around, not to mention leaving room for turbo(s) and such. You can practically grab the entire package out of a foxbody from engine, t5, driveshaft, and use one of Yoshifab's driveshaft to rear hockey puck adapters. Wasted spark from the factory, or easily use the 36-1 crank trigger and cam sensor from an exploder to have sequential ignition. The longtube headers fit so much easier around the 302 than the chevy. LT1 motors can still be found in JY caprice's and camaros, but forget about finding GM T5's to fit... T56's are selling $1000 broken.

You can always find ford T5's and engines, especially from the aforementioned exploders.

None of the heads (lt1 or 5.0) can compare to even the most bargain basement lsx heads... lt1 might come close with places like advanced induction but the lsx swap has it's own idiosyncracies... what electronic transmission are you going to put behind it? How are you going to control it? How much of the crossmember is going to have to disappear... none of these mind you will cause interference to the motivated installer but they aren't issues faced by the 5.0 which can still be found for Tb money.

Stock, untouched crossmember, room for a turbo (big single up front on the passenger side), 6 spd manual (CD009) that's pretty cheap and easy to find, no electronics on the trans on mine.

Granted, the kit to stick the CD009 style trans behind an LS, and a top mount shifter (to fit the 240) weren't cheap, but all together, a bit less than a T56.

I did pay a bit extra for an aluminum Gen 4 5.3 - but not too much more - $1500 shipped. It's pretty light. Unfortunately I didn't get a good weight comparison between the 16V turbo redblock/T5 I pulled out to make way for the LS turbo/CD009, but just guestimating by the front ride height it's barely any more.

If there's anything I've learned over the years of slowly modifying my 240, it's to plan for future growth in HP. You get used to 200 hp, and want more. Then you get used to 250 hp. Then 300 hp. Then 350 hp. It's maybe around 550 hp right now (6 psi on pump gas) with the turbo LS, but I figure with more fuel pump, boost control, better rear axle it will make 700 hp. And if I want even more, it's far easier to add onto the basics than it is to rip it all out and start over again from scratch.

I went with a Tremec TKO600, Yoshifab T5 crossmember, and Ford trans mount. And as JohnMc did, I also went with the aluminum block LS. I paid the same, but then added a rebuild and cam upgrade because they did it cheaper than I could myself.

I'm building the car to take way more power than I actually have at the moment. "Plan for future growth" is really good advice.

See if anybody has a set of mounts that can be copied. I met Ross at NHIS 30 years ago, he had heard about my car with the Chevy motor in it. I made my own mounts for the Chevy 350 back in Dec '88, some where I still have the patterns for the Chevy mounts.

Back