home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 01-24-2019, 12:56 PM   #226
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

The ease of tuning and the full dataset is very helpful indeed. LH when tuned right is damn fun and reliable as well, so it's kind of a tossup. I'd go MS right now except I'm making very solid progress on LH. lol
Mick Starkey "TrickMick" 1/10/14
Mark Baldwin "blue850t5" 7/19/18
Nick Fengler "fengler" 8/6/18
Thomas Fritz "stealthfti" 10/11/18

74 144 B20
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=224983

90 745Ti
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=334698

If you need Superpro bushings PM me for price and availability!
gsellstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:25 AM   #227
Uncleknucklez
bruspeed

I threw a pipe in for the intake side, and am officially rid of the LH24 stuff (was usiing the MAF as an air filter adapter)

Plan to pull all the pipes, valve cover, and radiator slam panel and coat it all in black semi gloss paint at my shop.

The car starts right up, cold starts are pretty good now, I have been working on the Accel enrich settings, and the overrun fuel cut. Next is to try my hand at closed loop in preparation for the summer when I'm blasting A/C.

Uncleknucklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:51 AM   #228
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

Sorry, been meaning to get up your way, just ain't happening. Overrun is cake, settings that were in there were pretty decent. AE isn't too bad as long as you have a good base map. Closed loop, again not too bad as long as you have a good base map and good AFR map.
gsellstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:06 AM   #229
Uncleknucklez
bruspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsellstr View Post
Sorry, been meaning to get up your way, just ain't happening. Overrun is cake, settings that were in there were pretty decent. AE isn't too bad as long as you have a good base map. Closed loop, again not too bad as long as you have a good base map and good AFR map.
No worries, We will get together soon.

I am still using your overrun fuel cut settings for the most part, I did try and get closed loop working, but was having issue with a lean 15.5 afr idle, and it doesn't really like that. Turns out I found a vacuum leak and that was most likely the culprit, So I will try again.

Vacuum leaks are really apparent in idle tuning with MS I am finding. Maybe my settings are just on the verge.... But that's part of the fun RIGHT?!?
Old 01-30-2019, 02:57 PM   #230
Vol242vo
Board Member

So clean.

Derek - 1980 242
Vol242vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 04:17 PM   #231
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncleknucklez View Post
No worries, We will get together soon.

I am still using your overrun fuel cut settings for the most part, I did try and get closed loop working, but was having issue with a lean 15.5 afr idle, and it doesn't really like that. Turns out I found a vacuum leak and that was most likely the culprit, So I will try again.

Vacuum leaks are really apparent in idle tuning with MS I am finding. Maybe my settings are just on the verge.... But that's part of the fun RIGHT?!?
A vacuum leak between the manifold and head? Just wondering out loud how a MAP sensor system is affected by vacuum leaks.
Tfrasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 06:07 PM   #232
Uncleknucklez
bruspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vol242vo View Post
So clean.
Thanks a ton! Small wheel bois!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfrasca View Post
A vacuum leak between the manifold and head? Just wondering out loud how a MAP sensor system is affected by vacuum leaks.
This was just a vacuum hose for the evap system before the throttle plate, but it idled leaner than normal, very similar to LH when there is a vacuum leak in the system. I suppose the issue could be different per install, based on how your throttle plate is adjusted and how much PWM you are using for your IAC? Now that you mention it, It made sense until I started really thinking about it
Old 03-13-2019, 12:38 PM   #233
Uncleknucklez
bruspeed

A buddy of mine drew this up, and I turned it into a decal.

I took the car to Radwood Sonoma, it rained, I don't have many pics of that. I am moving forward with some plans, and amassing parts to do new pads and rotors, as well as new carrier bearings and setup for my noisy rear diff.

Oh, I also picked up a lightened flat flywheel and RSI poly mounts from a buddy who has had them on a shelf for several years now. I will probably do all of that at the same time. While I am doing the flywheel, I will put a new TO bearing and pilot just because, and work on the shim stack under my pivot ball to hopefully get a little better clutch feel.

My list of gripes about the car is growing, and it's not really the fun or glamorous stuff, but necessary none the less.

A/C is still busted too :/

Here is a pic dump:

Messy a$$ workbench

A guy came by at Radwood and snapped these shots

Pretty much the only photo I took of my car at Radwood

I put a new shift knob on the T5, the extension is really nice, and allows me to shift with the grandpa series armrest down!

Pretty much it for now, Davis "prep" is continuing, and I really want to take it to a dragstrip sometime in the future to see what she's made of....
Old 03-13-2019, 01:16 PM   #234
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Rad dorsal fin.

Life begins at 10PSI.
LC4CARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 01:25 PM   #235
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

stop by Mass let's push your fender out.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:44 PM   #236
Harlard
80/20 speed parts club

I want to copy your shifter setup.

Also willing to pop that dent for ya, not sure I want to risk making it worse though

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:34 PM   #237
Duder
His Dudeness, El Duderino

Dang, I didn't realize you were at Sonoma! I meant to make it over to Radwood but it was so far over on the other side of the track and I couldn't bring pit vehicles this time

Car looks great though!
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:41 PM   #238
Old Iron
I Roll

Is that how you know you have made it, have a decal made of your car! Very cool!
Old 03-15-2019, 10:45 AM   #239
Uncleknucklez
bruspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop View Post
stop by Mass let's push your fender out.
I've had a couple dentless people take a look at it and the issues is the arch of the body line won't really be the same, At some point I would like to secure another straight fender and repaint the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
I want to copy your shifter setup.
Amazon shift knob, ebay boot, easy peasy, I used the hurst shift lever that I cut and added about an inch to previously, I will probably take that out now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duder View Post
Dang, I didn't realize you were at Sonoma! I meant to make it over to Radwood but it was so far over on the other side of the track and I couldn't bring pit vehicles this time

Car looks great though!
Thanks! I enjoyed watching the race from turn 7! I had never seen the track like that before, great views!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Iron View Post
Is that how you know you have made it, have a decal made of your car! Very cool!
It helps that the sign shop I manage makes stickers

Speaking of, I whipped up this "showcard" for Radwood, I printed it on vehicle wrap, and applied it to a piece of .063" aluminum, so it was weather proof and hung out in the rain the whole day.

Old 03-15-2019, 02:58 PM   #240
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncleknucklez View Post
Agreed, I am not allergic to anything, so Meyle it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton View Post
Without more info, I would assume the Meyle's are just fine. Maybe he's offering Volvo ones for certain picky people who are allergic to aftermarket bushings? That's my guess. I'm pretty sure he would not offer substandard bushings on such a nice product.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton View Post
Definitely on my shopping list. I see they're offered with the Meyle bushings or the Volvo bushings for $80 more . Of course Genuine Volvo bushings would be more, but could they we worth $80 more for two? Curious is anyone is actually opting for the more expensive bushings.
Dave
We have had really good results with the Meyle bushings, they have held up well in the LS-powered drift car that we tested the prototypes with.

Only reason the upcharge is so much is the price of the Volvo bushings now a days.

The meyle units are practically free when you buy enough of them and the volvo units cost ~40 each

We mostly sell Meyle but some people do opt for Volvo brand bushings.

For most people who are on the fence, I always recommend to start with Meyle and if it doesn't hold up, replace them with a Volvo bushing.
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.©
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:52 AM   #241
Uncleknucklez
bruspeed

Another update, Car has been running good on MS, I noticed when we (CA) switched over to the summer fuel blend, things were a little off, so I saved the tune, and let auto tune hook up a new "summer" map on this trash gasoline. Seems to run decent enough now.

I also sprung for new butt huggers, Corbeau GTS II, because Recaro is too rich for my blood. The seats are pretty much sitting just about as low as I can make them, and the bottoms are about stock seat height, Corbeau has an option for a shaved base, which I would go for now, knowing what I know, and lower the seats a bit more. They're a nice improvement over the old Corbeau Sport Seats I had in there previously, Nice bolstering, and better ergonomics. Should make long hauls that much nicer.

Also, Because I can, and race car.....

They're decals on my fab'd door panels, look pretty cool to me, and my kids love them.

Doggo "Klaus"

Last edited by Uncleknucklez; 06-06-2019 at 10:24 AM..
Old 06-06-2019, 06:32 PM   #242
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Dachshunds dig low riders.
LC4CARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:31 PM   #243
Duder
His Dudeness, El Duderino

Those seats look comfy man, and they really tie the room together.
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:44 PM   #244
Jerd
Board Member

Awesome car, thanks for sharing man. I just read through the thread from the beginning!
Jerd is offline   Reply With Quote