home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 09-10-2013, 11:47 PM   #126
justlie
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelostartof View Post
Where did you get your torque rods from? My next thing I need to do is build a solid bushing of sorts for the front bushing on the subframe.
Got them from Speedway Motors. Joints are solid. Had the noise on the very first drive around the block, checked it right after and couldn't find anything. Now that I drove it around town a bit I'll check again.

I'm swapping exhaust manifolds right now so I can check it while its in the garage.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:54 PM   #127
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

Awesome, same stuff I got it sounds, I think your thread is where I got the pictures of them after I found out about speedway.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:59 PM   #128
Hank Scorpio
Chubfest 2009 Survivor

Mike that'll probably make a huge difference. The 242 used to ovalize then break poly filled 240 torque rods with ease. Huge difference going to what you have
History: Car 1 (242) | Car 2 (t5r) | Car 3 (255)
Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:56 AM   #129
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

Justlie: here is an idea, what size hole for the heim ends did you use? Did you use any kind of bushing or spacer? I went with 5/8 and then used some split bushing/sleeve from McMaster car that was m16-m14 adapter. I put it in a vise and opened it up and filed off a little of one side so it could be pressed into the 5/8 hole in the joint. This kept the m14 bolt very tight in the joints. Also all of my spacers on the side are 1/2" id and then drilled out to m14 so everything is really tight.

Doug: might just be my mind wanting it to feel better but the car really does feel a bit more tight. Nice and smooth. I still need to drop the konis down in the rear and set them stiffer.
thelostartof is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #130
Lord_Athlon
Chuckie Blows

Quote:
Justlie: here is an idea, what size hole for the heim ends did you use? Did you use any kind of bushing or spacer? I went with 5/8 and then used some split bushing/sleeve from McMaster car that was m16-m14 adapter. I put it in a vise and opened it up and filed off a little of one side so it could be pressed into the 5/8 hole in the joint. This kept the m14 bolt very tight in the joints. Also all of my spacers on the side are 1/2" id and then drilled out to m14 so everything is really tight.

Doug: might just be my mind wanting it to feel better but the car really does feel a bit more tight. Nice and smooth. I still need to drop the konis down in the rear and set them stiffer.
Its not in your head. My old 242 went through torque rods as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
Yet Asher here went with...
Lord_Athlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:24 PM   #131
Hank Scorpio
Chubfest 2009 Survivor

Quote:

On-Off throttle transitions will be noticeable better. Course you're using an auto so it'll soften that transition some. Still, well done my friend.
Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #132
justlie
Board Member

Quote:

5/8" to 9/16" sleeve in it. The bolt fit very snug in it, but yes that could be my issue.
justlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #133
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

Started on the rear mounted battery

As I get more work done I shall post up more pictures, right now I am taking a bit of break to go ship some chips.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:52 PM   #134
mafoose
Boost Addict

I see the disconnect, but where's the circuit breaker?

- 84 242 - 92 740 - 72 240z - 78 280z -
mafoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:26 AM   #135
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

What breaker? the other two posts are getting hooked up tomorrow. top will run to the alternator and the bottom to the battery per specs.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #136
mafoose
Boost Addict

It is always a good idea to run a circuit breaker, or at least, a fuse, in case the main positive cable becomes shorted. The high amperage can easily start a fire!

Circuit breakers are nice because they're resettable and might allow you to limp a car home.

There is no rule of thumb that I know of when it comes to sizing, but I would imagine something in the 150-200 amp range should suffice. Best rule of thumb is to run the smallest one you can without tripping it during cranking. That will provide the best protection.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:07 PM   #137
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

So a fuse between the battery and the cutoff switch? That shall be next on my list.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:18 PM   #138
pwschuh
Rolling...

That's what I do: a fuse on the positive cable right after the battery. I think I started with a 150 and I had to drag the car on the starter motor once and it blew the fuse, so I replaced it with a 200.

My positive line runs under the car. It's tucked up pretty tight but it's still good insurance.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:23 AM   #139
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

Rear mounting point, I now have a #4 wire going from here to the block at the factory mounting point.

Battery somewhat in place

Ghetto mounting block up front, I am planning on cleaning up the wiring a bit, for now I am just getting the car up and running, either way everything works as it should for now.

Final trunk mounting of the switch, as per my other thread, bottom wire goes to the factory alternator exciter wire on the chassis, the top small wire goes to the exciter location on the alternator. Car shuts off just fine with the switch.

So far I am happy, I have zero voltage drop across all of the wiring, Same voltage at the battery as the engine bay. Tomorrow I will drive the car around and check again to see how it is with heat.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #140
mafoose
Boost Addict

Install looks great!

Quote:
So a fuse between the battery and the cutoff switch? That shall be next on my list.
I like circuit breakers better, but if you use a fuse, keep a spare in the car just in case.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #141
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

Something like this?
http://www.amazon.com/Stinger-SGP902.../dp/B003NYHCQ0

Or

http://www.amazon.com/200-HIGH-POWER.../dp/B003IZ2JFS
Old 09-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #142
towerymt
the real Towery

I'd definitely want a breaker/fuse with the + wires so close to sheet metal like that. If you get rear ended and those lugs get grounded, that's going to be bad news.
towerymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:03 PM   #143
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

Same thing I was saying to myself yesterday, Breaker it is, anyone have one that they have used and recommend?
Old 09-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #144
cosbySweater
Board Member

Bussman has some bad ass breakers I use on the big diesels at work all the time
2013 VW Passat TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricktop420 View Post
Thank you very much everybody... i now feel sufficiently retarded and will go cry in the corner...
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #145
stylngle2003
Board Member

if it's 4ga wire you should be looking at ~125amps. http://www.bcae1.com/wire.htm
1996 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 2WD (hauls ass)
1990 Mazda Miata (track toy)
stylngle2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:37 PM   #146
mocambique-amazone
Board Member

Hello thelostartof Olaf?

I agree with towermynt.
And: Bad news if you stay at traffic light and a joky guy switch of your car and walk away with the red knob, maybe he cant't rob him because it's screwed.
Bad joke in traffic if someone switch of

Better place: In dashbord and you can reach him by hand, with a string outside for emergency use.

regards, Kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #147
towerymt
the real Towery

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocambique-amazone View Post
Better place: In dashbord and you can reach him by hand, with a string outside for emergency use.
NHRA has funny rules about it being back there.

In a road racing series I race in, the switch had to be on the outside of the car, but it didn't have to be within reach of the driver. One team put it on the fender, some car hit it and cut the power, car was dead and stopped on the track. Another car ran into the back of them.

Now we have a rule that it must be within reach of the driver, so the driver can turn the power back on as needed. It also has to be accessible by safety workers, so some teams put a cable to the outside, others mount it near the drivers side window so it can be reached easily by someone from the outside.
towerymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:35 PM   #148
Daviticus
Board Member

I doubt anyone is walking away with that knob unless they pack a Phillips' screwdriver everywhere.
Go read performance subforum for like a month.
Daviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:50 PM   #149
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylngle2003 View Post
if it's 4ga wire you should be looking at ~125amps. http://www.bcae1.com/wire.htm
The ground from battery to block is #4, the power is 0/1.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:52 AM   #150
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

No huge updates, car is running good and is ready for MS as soon as I order the new set of wires and get off my ass and start running the few wires needed.

Went for a drive last weekend with some other local car guys and re-realized how bad my car handles so I am trying to get over the cost and get around to building those coilovers I want. I have the front konis on the shelf and ready to install as soon as I find time to do it.
A few quick pictures from the drive

Also I threw together a camera mount that should work out better than the suction cup mount I used to use