• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My performance goals and various questions associated therein

I have the part already, it arrived today, it's how I know I should bridge the terminals with a 350-400 ohm resistor. I cannot fit any of my tools under the intake manifold, so I'm going to make do in the meantime.

I have a test light that I'm going to use to tune the CO once I have the right resistor. Gonna start up with the CO set to rich to start, and then retune with the test light to balance out the mixture.

All of this is so much harder than slapping on a 13c with factory parts... :-(

I'm not sure how well the +T will function with his LH2.2..... obviously it has been done before without too much drama. If it were LH2.4 from the 89+, you are correct. Check out the ignition in his engine bay lower left.... might be the same unit in my 84 242 B23 (made by Chrysler?).

An 89 LH2.4 harness would be clean; no ABS wiring under hood to bugger things up on an early car.

Carry on with the NA discussions of performance..... ;-)

Last edited:
I'm not sure how well the +T will function with his LH2.2..... obviously it has been done before without too much drama. If it were LH2.4 from the 89+, you are correct. Check out the ignition in his engine bay lower left.... might be the same unit in my 84 242 B23 (made by Chrysler?).

An 89 LH2.4 harness would be clean; no ABS wiring under hood to bugger things up on an early car.

Carry on with the NA discussions of performance..... ;-)

OP mentioned Megasquirt, larger valves, rebuilding a different engine, head work etc...

... but then won't consider a simple +T.

:???:

I'm just saying... it doesn't have to be this hard.

OP mentioned Megasquirt, larger valves, rebuilding a different engine, head work etc...

I find that for some taking the more challenging route is more rewarding. There seems to be a point when you are modifying the head and selecting a cam where you are forced to decide between NA and turbo. Building up a motor on the side to swap in isn't that uncommon either. Although I am not sure I would rebuild the bottom end unless the motor really needed it.

It’s an 85 chrysler box, btw. Pretty sure mine was probably a pretty early 86 model, it’s got weird quirks that make it a hybrid of both model years.

“philosophy of this build is Stock+, the car/engine in this trim package that Volvo could've, but didn't, build”.

I have the base model 240, it isn’t in the spirit of this build to use a turbo. The T5 was around to be used, even if it wasn’t used by Volvo they honestly probably should have. EZK was, too, as was the V cam, oil squirters (which i probably won’t end up using), bigger valves, though tbh I don’t know about 531 Head. Even a microsquirt wouldn’t be out of the question, much more advanced ECUs existed at the time, even if they weren’t used for economical reasons (Tbh, i probably won’t use it).

I’m building the engine/car I believe Volvo should have made as the base model. A turbo doesn’t go in the base model.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. Here's the deal... I know this is going to piss people off but talk is cheap. You're driving an old naturally aspirated car. It probably has 90 rear wheel horsepower... and it's not going to be fast regardless what you do with it, so just enjoy it for what you've got. I don't know who you are, what your experience level is, or what your budget is, but unless the third option (your budget) is in the fantastic level (on a turbobricker scale), you need to content yourself with a few mods and be done with it. You can go down the rabbit hole quickly and all of the sudden, you've dumped 2-4 grand into the car over a couple of years and it's still slow and kinda handles a little better (BTW, at least 1 grand of that is going to be in the T5 swap).

These cars are ok stock. You can run them at their limit and still be at relatively safe speeds. People have been doing the same mods you're talking about since, well I got here in 2004 and people have been doing the same mods you are referring to to our crappy volvos way before then.

Talk is cheap. Just do it. Got your 531? Put it on. It's a great cheap upgrade for the 530. Don't like the T cam, find another cam and put it in. If you want to do the LH2.4/ezk116 swap do it. Feel really adventurous? Do a 16v swap. With a manual transmission and a NA 16v the car is a handful.

Just keep in mind that in the end of the day, you can still part out all the fancy parts you put on it.

Sorry if this comes across as blunt. Just go out and do something.

(BTW... my first post since 10/2019... crazy).

Absolutely. I am doing something. The T5 is already on. Right now, I’m waiting for parts to come in the mail. As soon as the valves come in, I’m sending the head off the the shop to shave 1mm off, and install the valves. After that, I’m waiting for a headgasket to come in. Once that’s in, I’m going to visit some friends and install the head. In the meantime, I’m on the forums trying to figure out how much of my ideas are wrong.

And yeah, 90 is probably about right. It gets me to 100mph+, though, so I don’t think it’s too safe haha.

Welcome back, sorry to bring you back so abruptly.

Not with an M cam... Maybe with tight clearances, retarded a bit and an opened up intake. Maybe. A higher compression B cam’d car just barely broke into triple digits.

Update: Valves have arrived today. I'm going to spend the weekend finalising some things (patching the exhaust port where the steel exhaust insert used to be), and give the head to the shop on Monday.

I also am intrigued by the idea of installing a 3.54 rear diff, anybody know if the standard Dana 30 ring and pinion available on Summit Racing will fit in the 1031 rear axle? I'm reluctant to swap the entire axle from an older car, my speedo and odometer still work and are electronic (1986 was first year of tone ring speedo).

Back