• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Vintage 140/160 as Project/Fun Daily?

A friends new 164 was what turned me on to Volvo's many years ago. Couldn't afford one at the time but when my son was ready for his first car we went out and found one to restore. He wasn't very happy with the thought of an old 4 door sedan. When finished the 164 little limousine was a serious hit with all his friends.

Volvo%20164%20After%20Restoration.jpg

That's my 16 year old son in the driver's seat. He is 51 now.

Last edited:
D-Jet with a Megasquirt ECU replacement. All the benefits of fuel injection and none of the drawbacks of excessively vintage electronics.

D-Jet with a Megasquirt ECU replacement. All the benefits of fuel injection and none of the drawbacks of excessively vintage electronics.

Been there done that. I am running MSExtra for fuel and spark control on a B20E. If the existing injectors and fuel system is toast on the B30E you are going to be dropping serious coin on an MS retrofit to make a reliable runner.

For the OP, since the car has been inoperative for 10 years do you know for sure that the fuel system is the biggest / only issue? Does the engine turn over? Maybe the head gasket failed while sitting allowing coolant to leak into the cylinders? For cars that are parked a long time and exposed to significant temperature cycles the temperature changes cause expansion and contraction of the air in the cylinders causing the cylinders to breath in moist air through open exhaust or intake valves. Unless parked in a dessert or provisions were made to seal the intake and exhaust at the time of storage atmospheric moisture can lead to rusting of the cylinder walls.

'Ran When Parked' is pretty much equivalent to RIP for cars that have been inoperative for 10+ years.

Unless parked in a dessert or provisions were made to seal the intake and exhaust at the time of storage atmospheric moisture can lead to rusting of the cylinder walls.

'Ran When Parked' is pretty much equivalent to RIP for cars that have been inoperative for 10+ years.

My 144S was parked in a field for 10 years. Had a squirrel nest in the air cleaner box, and things fell down into the intake manifold, which then also caused the intake valve in the #1 cylinder to rust, which fell down into the piston rings and seized my engine. I got lucky with penetrating oil.

If it doesn't turn over, it's 50/50 whether or not it'll run again without a complete rebuild.

But if cheapness is a joy there is couple hints of rebuild fuel system. Get two sets B230F injectors with fuel rails and regulator too. Cut and join them by soldering. Means you have made 6 cyl fuel rail. B230F injectors fit with small modification on that plastic cup. New o-rings from Volvo.
Cost 50 $ and a whiskey bottle for plumber.

Btw, TPS from 850 doesnt fit that good with B30E throttle body and air cleaner. I used one from BMW.

My 144S was parked in a field for 10 years. Had a squirrel nest in the air cleaner box, and things fell down into the intake manifold, which then also caused the intake valve in the #1 cylinder to rust, which fell down into the piston rings and seized my engine. I got lucky with penetrating oil.

If it doesn't turn over, it's 50/50 whether or not it'll run again without a complete rebuild.

My PV sat in an open sided carport for about 15 years (based on the dates of various stickers and permits it still had on it - still has a 1983 Kirkwood parking permit sticker on the windshield) until I bought it. With a gravel floor, so it had moisture from underneath as well.

Aside from the condition of the body (solid enough to drive, not solid enough to bother trying to restore), the motor was fine. Still turned, all I needed to do was replace the fuel pump and get (ahem, 'most') of the rust out of the tank and it fired right up.

Been there done that. I am running MSExtra for fuel and spark control on a B20E. If the existing injectors and fuel system is toast on the B30E you are going to be dropping serious coin on an MS retrofit to make a reliable runner.

For the OP, since the car has been inoperative for 10 years do you know for sure that the fuel system is the biggest / only issue? Does the engine turn over? Maybe the head gasket failed while sitting allowing coolant to leak into the cylinders? For cars that are parked a long time and exposed to significant temperature cycles the temperature changes cause expansion and contraction of the air in the cylinders causing the cylinders to breath in moist air through open exhaust or intake valves. Unless parked in a dessert or provisions were made to seal the intake and exhaust at the time of storage atmospheric moisture can lead to rusting of the cylinder walls.

Versus spending serious coin to restore D-Jet to operation, then being back to square one with black magic voodoo sorta EFI.

Microsquirt and go to town!

Versus spending serious coin to restore D-Jet to operation, then being back to square one with black magic voodoo sorta EFI.

Microsquirt and go to town!

No, I was thinking take all the money that you would spend / bleed away on an MS conversion and spend it up front to purchase a car that actually runs.

Back