• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Bob George's '82 242 Turbo PROJECT

Proof! Ran it for about 10 minutes, idling around 1,000 rpm. Good oil pressure, good coolant temp, seems pretty smooth. I'm going to get rid of the mechanical fan ASAP, it's just on there temporarily.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/icWf0_6X37Y&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/icWf0_6X37Y&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

:-D

Thanks guys :) It ran today for 20-30 minutes and idled well. It runs pretty rich though.

I checked all over for leaks and found only one, in the spare port of the Canton remote oil filter mount where I put a VDO temp sensor. I used teflon tape, but maybe not enough. Easy enough fix with the mount right on the fender.

What cam are you running?

Right now it's just a stock T cam in a stock head. I have a new IPD Turbo cam waiting, but I want the car running reliably so I can break it in properly. Then the 531 head will go on, then I'll probably want a bigger cam, etc, etc..

Huh, here's something I haven't seen in 10 months: an empty garage.

82-242-empty-garage.jpg

Wonder why that is? Oh yea, because the car moved under its own power for the first time in 467 days.

82-242-front-IC.jpg

82-242-front-IC-hood.jpg

82-242-propus.jpg

Took a little road trip to the Magic Hat brewery (0.4 miles from my house).

82-242-magic-hat.jpg

Lots more to come soon. The plan is to get the car mostly back together in the month of August and get a reasonable tune in it. Then do some real boost tuning in September and hit the dyno in October before it goes away for the winter.

Stay tuned :)

Woweee!!! Have you thought about painting the B-pillar white? Not the door or window, but that little bit between the two. Sometimes that looks really good painted body color. And I hate to be nitpicky, I know you just got it together and are probably ecstatic, but I'd like to make a few suggestions. With the IC that low, speed holes in the bumper could be pretty sweet. Lovin the body colored front spoiler! Do you plan to lower it some more? I've got those same wheels and I'm about an inch lower in the back and 1-2" in the front compared to you car, and it looks perfect. And eeeew tan leather 240 seats, my '83 came with those too and they've always made me gag, so I switched to charcoal 850 leather seats and am much happier.

Once again GREAT work.

Thanks everyone. Definitely feels good to get behind the wheel again. Today I drove it for the first time on the real road, just a couple miles to put some fresh gas in it. I think the junkyard Denso alternator I have in there is dying, since I had to ask the guy at the gas station in the Honda Element to jump start me :lol:

No boost yet, although I can tell with that big exhaust that the motor breathes well. The car has a lot of little issues to sort out, but I'll get there.

Woweee!!! Have you thought about painting the B-pillar white? Not the door or window, but that little bit between the two. Sometimes that looks really good painted body color. And I hate to be nitpicky, I know you just got it together and are probably ecstatic, but I'd like to make a few suggestions. With the IC that low, speed holes in the bumper could be pretty sweet. Lovin the body colored front spoiler! Do you plan to lower it some more? I've got those same wheels and I'm about an inch lower in the back and 1-2" in the front compared to you car, and it looks perfect. And eeeew tan leather 240 seats, my '83 came with those too and they've always made me gag, so I switched to charcoal 850 leather seats and am much happier.

Once again GREAT work.

Thanks :) I'm planning to address pretty much everything you mention. It will be lower for sure, and I have an entire black 242 interior (minus the seats) that will replace the tan stuff. I'm looking for some nice black Recaros or something similar for the front seats. Then I might just dye the rear seat (the leather is really nice) or find a black rear seat. My goal is to keep the interior very functional, which will also help dampen the noise from the exhaust. The car is pretty loud, as I expected :)

As for the IC, speed holes have been considered, as well as some sort of ducting in the front spoiler. I hadn't thought about painting the B-pillars white, but I bet it would look cool. I was actually planning to go the opposite route and get all of the windows re-tinted at maybe 35%. The rears were done in 1987 and just look like old tint. Then I would want to keep the unbroken black in the window area. But that isn't a priority this year - maybe next spring.

No big updates this weekend. The car is still running well and starting easily. I'm dealing with charging issues now - I've had a few alternators in and now have a new Advance Auto unit installed. Checked/redid my ground wires both in the trunk and under the hood, including running a 2 gauge wire from the chassis to the engine block (cleaned both points to bare metal). Still only getting the battery voltage at the alternator, so I'm wondering if it's the starter-alternator power wire that I spliced and soldered. I'm going to replace that tomorrow and see if I can get it to charge.

It's always like this - all the work to get it running, and then some dumb easy issue causes problems.

Back