• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My '91 744 B204GT project

Looks fantastic- love to see a 7er get some love like this. Adharas will look great on this car too. Nice work!

Yeah indeed, Auriga ;-)

Btw tires mounted (Toyo Proxes Tr1, it has quite good ratings about the grip that I will probably need).

OyvHD48h.jpg

Last edited:
Based on my not very positive PU engine mounts height feedback to retroturbo Peter made a new series of mounts for 7xx with 16v engine! The new ones are 104mm high (the same as the original hydromounts) and therefore no shims are required. These should be available soon via his shop.

FJ44T7Qh.jpg

WuKRu0Bh.jpg

3uoHCnEh.jpg

LvIrzGFh.jpg

Last edited:
While going through the old parts removed during the turbo rebuild, I also noticed the CBV membrane was already torn...good that I converted to the external piston type CBV as a preventive action :cool:

F70OZtDh.jpg

Last edited:
Based on one of my friend's feedback rebuilding the same engine, I've decided to replace the hydraulic valve lifters just to be sure.
What a lucky decision :wtf: all of them are badly leaking.
The valve cover is clean, and I mean so clean that I have never seen such a clean one...not sure how is that possible, there is not a single carbon deposit on it. Also the valvetrain is exceptionally clean...

zsBiGHAh.jpg

o1YZqCyh.jpg

xhTqFDrh.jpg

gS6gRjjh.jpg

<iframe width="800" height="600" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BxaS2MuThyE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Assembly time...

3rkfSyDh.jpg

New lifters and spark plug hole o-rings in!

RVHiuiJh.jpg

New gaskets, seals, stainless cam gear dowel pins from IPD

GuERi0Rh.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good!

The turbo adapter is meant to be mounted that way. I did use a regular T3 gasket with it but that's probably not absolutely necessary. Volvo sells a nice stainless steel gasket for ~2000+ turbo models but if the adapter/plate is not moving around I'd leave it exactly like this

Nice project ! Keep up the good work ;-) Just been reading the whole thread :-P
btw. don't you expect problems at the MOT car inspection with those coloured PU bushings ?
About the oil pump bolt 10,9 do you have a partnumber of that maybe ?
I changed the cogwheel+bolt at my NA 16V but ... I just checked the pictures and the bolt seems the OEM one 8,8 grade again pfff... bad or not ?

Last edited:
I might just respray the bushings with the black undercoating to give it stock look :) the Belgian MOT is actually one big unknown for me...never went for it before. But what I heard is that for oldtimers they are much more forgiving.
The OEM bolt of the oil pump is 8.8 grade no matter if you have a old/new one. I simply went to Fabory in Brussels and bough the equivalent in 10.9.

Last edited:
Small complication with the turbo, the cosworth exhaust housing bolt pattern is different from the original Volvo one, so the bolts are about 1cm more far from each other. That causes the original downpipe flange not to fit anymore. So the flange has been modified (drilled holes extended towards the outer side) and I have fabricated a wide washers to spread the tension.

g36MJqvh.jpg

5AUD8tSh.jpg

Also, oil return conversion kit from Yoshifab installed! (I really can't wait to drive this car out of the garage and give the engine compartment some good pressure wash) :)

mCOnFYEh.jpg

Last edited:
Thx for the info about Fabory, I think I can not order there because of needed VAT number, but okay. There are other shops like that as well ;-)
About the PU bushings, if I were you I would sand them down a bit and spray them black to be sure... Because if it's not original, big chance that they will disapprove the car.
Cool thing the Yoshifab oil return line, would be a good upgrade for mine also ;-) The only problem are the custom taxes I think ... $$

Hmmm...ok. How do they know what is original and what not? I doubt there is anyone at the MOT who knows exactly how things should look on a 30 years old car. I have lots of modifications in the engine bay but it mostly looks completely stock. But yeah the red/yellow PU bushes might be too much.
The return kit came without any custom taxes btw ;-)

Those bent "fender washers" for DP retention would worry me. Why not weld extend the original ~10mm thick plate?

You think it will not be able to hold it? It's quite thick stainless steel and it's even folded (so double thickness) on the inner side. I thought for that little amount of stress (just enough to make a seal) it should be ok, but I am open to other thoughts. There is a supporting bracket in the middle of the downpipe too (mounted to the transmission body).
Why not to weld it...well first think I don't have a welder; second thing the gap between one of the bolts and the car body is already very tight with the current solution, I am not sure if it would even fit with welded extension around the bolt...

Based on the modifications related to the cosworth exhaust housing, I found out that the wastegate doesn't clear the engine block anymore. After some considerations I've decided to shim the whole exhaust manifold using a 16v flange rather than trying to modify such a nice setup that the turbo company made. To achieve that I also needed 1cm longer exhaust manifold studs...

ncEM6oIh.jpg

LzYGC33h.jpg

hv4YfX2h.jpg

VPv3ELih.jpg

Comparison of the stock IC vs. the full aluminium KL racing intercooler
oppSxYGh.jpg

Which is not exactly direct fit in 740...the front section had to be marked
HjWR9ARh.jpg

xUzgfKwh.jpg

..and then cut out
lUi9xOsh.jpg

bvAi1dyh.jpg

test fitting some tubing
nEx5aOQh.jpg

and tubing in final configuration
8IubKE5h.jpg

recirc valve connection
1FTAosXh.jpg

the diameter of the original hose was narrowed around the airbox which is not the case now
e6qXDlGh.jpg

The airbox itself was emptied inside from any restrictions
2VlUPH3h.jpg

Also some progress on the oil separator
AtrXfcrh.jpg

then I have started the tubing from the airbox to the turbo...all 80mm, with reusing the heated breather port (the second port is for the recirc valve)
jydgh4qh.jpg

ZiPDY7bh.jpg

which resulted in this
zvWF1heh.jpg

some more random pics...
PM1I9P1h.jpg

O30wQN4h.jpg

8ATQqfHh.jpg

Today I made a final order of the last missing hoses, so in week or two I should be able to start the engine again...:)

Last edited:
Sometimes I feel like being OCD patient... :) so I was not very happy with the "trumpet" style of the tubing end, but I was not sure how to make a proper beads on the pipe.
Then I found out this neat video and I did exactly the same.

<iframe width="896" height="672" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JVDUM2ZxoW0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

and that allowed me to go from this
O30wQN4h.jpg

to this
vLA6Xk4h.jpg

Last edited:
Tubing, tubing and more tubing! Almost having dreams about pipes and hoses of all angles and diameters :) also finished the oil return line from the turbo.

Regular T3 oil return flange
bmclBXqh.jpg

T3 to AN10 adapter
CN3NP3lh.jpg

Mounted and test-fitted with the ultraflow hose ends
BKLiaPJh.jpg

Using the ptfe hose and ultraflow (torques UK) hose joiners this was created
Y64v8hRh.jpg

and this is how it looks all put together
oUKoWnqh.jpg

also quite some progress from the top of the engine - hoses going to catch can, external diverter valve are finished, one more pipe (the big one between the turbo and the airbox) to be installed and I will be able to test-start the car :cool:
k4spPaKh.jpg

Last edited:
Back