• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Smog Ref and a +t

spock345

Has anyone successfully gotten a +T car through the California smog ref? I have seen a few references to people suggesting that but haven't found a recent example of someone's results.

My biggest worry is them checking the block serial number and I have read mixed reports on that. I have all the parts for a +T and a cylinder head. So if they check part numbers I would just need a good B230FT block.

Last edited:
That is precisely why I am trying to find a 90 or 91 740 block. The only possible sticking point could be the head mounted distributor.

Head mounted distributor on a FT is the biggest issue, even though it makes no difference they will fail you for a block one. My guess is if you bar one with the head mounted dizzy then move to a block mounted one a smog tech won't fail you.

I was thinking about this fitment issue today, besides shimming the transmission mount id be interested in trying to hog out the holes on the motor mount to move it forward a tiny bit.

Or get a sharpy, draw a T next to the F and tell the smog guy its OEM

I have measured the clearance behind the head with the trans jacked up and there isn't much space. So either caving in the firewall or try it with a block mounted distributor.

On the transmission it should be easy to just say the engine is from a 90 or 91 740 turbo. The biggest difference visually being the smaller radiator and intercooler. You could also argue that the motor came with that transmission in the same configuration from the factory.

From that slideshow it would appear that since my 240 and the donor car are OBD 1 then keeping the M47 is just fine. Although that will be replaced in favor of something better soon after I get it past the ref.

Last edited:
I have measured the clearance behind the head with the trans jacked up and there isn't much space. So either caving in the firewall or try it with a block mounted distributor.

On the transmission it should be easy to just say the engine is from a 90 or 91 740 turbo. The biggest difference visually being the smaller radiator and intercooler. You could also argue that the motor came with that transmission in the same configuration from the factory.

From that slideshow it would appear that since my 240 and the donor car are OBD 1 then keeping the M47 is just fine. Although that will be replaced in favor of something better soon after I get it past the ref.

They will also check the ECU and EZK part numbers against the year of the motor. I don't think intercooler or radiator matters as far as the ref is concerned

Based on what I've read you can use the old transmission if you want, no need for an auto

"The transmission and evaporative systems will be allowed to remain in the recipient vehicle configuration,but must function appropriately."

https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/Engine_Change_Guidelines_BAG_04.19.18.pdf

Agreed that's what it says on the site but a member was trying to ref a 240 to smog as a 940 which never got a stick shift here and the referee gave him grief.

Can't find the thread but it might be better to get a 740 in that case.

Make a diesel car and be done with it. Or a 75.

Or pull your **** off every two years. Not hyped for this summer, mines coming up

If only someone nearby had a diesel car or 75 they wanted to sell:e-shrug:

Or pull your **** off every two years. Not hyped for this summer, mines coming up

If only someone nearby had a diesel car or 75 they wanted to sell

I think I have everything to the point where it will take an hour or two of work to remove or install the turbo on my existing engine. So removing it for smog is doable, but annoying.

A factory 240 turbo is definitely the ideal situation.

Well you'd better have your isht right before you go to the ref and 'call the cops' to your own party.

In any case as they say; "Good luck with your mission should you decide to accept it."

Find a cool smog shop that's not going to bust balls about visuals. I had one in Oakland when I lived there. Moved up north and it is as just as easy to find one. First shop up here said "you don't have a vacuum advance on your distributor". Enough said. I'm outta here. Second shop didn't give an F as long as you pass the sniffer. They've passed me about five times now.

Back