• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

'89 740 Turbo Runs Rough

daniels740

More and more often, when I start up the car, it starts up running very roughly, joined with a quite loud 'ticking.'

Then, a few minutes after the car has been started, the ticking dissapears completely, along with the rest of the problem. Here is a video: https://youtu.be/xsznzy6F_5k
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Well, this seems quite embarrassing, never. That being said, what is the probability of this being the problem? I don't want to spend time working on things I don't need to do. Thanks.

Very likely. It's kind of a regular maintenance item. You might want to find a copy of your owner's manual and check up on everything that may have been neglected over the lifespan of the car.

I'll try to do that, then. I do try my best to keep her maintained, though, as I clean the PCV and all those other maintenance items I knew were a bit of an issue on these cars. That being said, I'll definitely check for all the other maintenance items I haven't known about. Thanks.
Are you sure it can cause intermittent issues, where this only happens sometimes?

Last edited:
It can be a function of how cold your engine is when you start it.

Also check your water pump, alternator, AC clutch, and PS bearings and belts. Something else is dying on top of the loose valve sewing machine sound. You can do this by using a piece of 1/4" or 3/8" hose as a directional ear extension.

If you're talking about the squeaking, it's coming from my AC compressor belt and I'm really not worried about it. It's tight enough and it's also new from this February. The squeaking goes away when the a.c. clutch engages. Thanks for the heads up anyway.

Very likely. It's kind of a regular maintenance item. You might want to find a copy of your owner's manual and check up on everything that may have been neglected over the lifespan of the car.

It is not a regular maintenance item by any means. Most redblocks on the road today have never had their valves adjusted. There is very little need to do so.

It is not a regular maintenance item by any means. Most redblocks on the road today have never had their valves adjusted. There is very little need to do so.

That's exactly what I thought. I've never seen it as necessary in any workbooks. I even know of a guy who had gone 1 Million Miles in a 240 with having their valve cover off only once. Personally, I wasn't even going to do it knowing that I have neither the tools nor the knowledge to do so.

Back